Photoshop 22.3.0 on a 2019 iMac 3.6Ghz i3/8GB RAM/Macintosh HD with BigSur

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just got my iMac (2019, Retina 4K/3.6Ghz i3/8GB RAM/Macintosh HD with BigSur) my back from Apple, where they replaced my apparently faulty hard disk and installed Big Sur (I had Catalina before). While it works a bit better than before, I still find it slow and some things (like exporting a RAW from Lightroom to Photoshop can take several minutes - or block the computer altogether). Is this normal?

I've spoken to a few friends who said that with that model of iMac I can hardly expect better performance - is that really the case? If so, what would be the minimum requirements for a Mac to run LR (Classic) and the newest PS properly?  I don't need the computer to react within a fraction of a second, but it would be nice if a simple action did not take minutes.

Many thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Increasing the RAM would help and is easy to add on an iMac – how much spare disk capacity do you have?

(Version 22.3.1 is now available.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the tips - would 16GB RAM be sufficient, or would I only see a difference with 32GB? I have a lot of spare disk capacity, so will try to upgrade to 22.3.1 (I wasn't aware this version exists). 

Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes 16GB, or more, would help – how much spare disk capacity do you actually have?

Have you also tried resetting the preferences?

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialogue appears, asking you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for the reply (although I'm supposed to get notifications when someone replies to this thread, I don't, so I had not seen this before).

In the meantime, the computer is back with Apple, as there indeed seems to be a bigger problem that the previous intervention did not solve. In any case, I've copied your instructions on how to reset the preferences. 

And the info on the RAM is very useful too, something to think about in the future.

I have plenty spare disk capacity (around 920GB or so) - the disk is 1TB and the only programmes installed are LR and PS (I keep all my photo files on external disks).

Thanks again for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines