• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.3/22.3.1 reports error with graphics card and has many performance/behavior issues

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally figured it out today...

With the update to 22.3 the sniffer program reports an error with my graphics card driver, disables graphics acceleration, and I get a lot of performance issues; some of the more significant ones are:
*Levels adjustment layers WP/BP dropper adjustments do not show; I have to move an endpoint slider to make them display.

*Curves dropper adjustments are the same; and if I use the click/drag method to adjust the curve the display is far behind the input.
*Zoom using trackpad pinch/pull is also far behind the input and will continue after released same as the curves interaction.
*Control/Alt Scroll to adjust brush size/hardness does not show the preview accurately and is missing the preview color... it is set to red in the preferences.
Since graphics acceleration is disabled by the program I cannot enable it or change any settings.

Lightroom Classic 10.2  and Camera Raw 13.2 do not have these issues. LR is also able to use basic graphics acceleration, and functions normally with it disabled as well..  And, if I revert to any version of Photoship prior to 22.3, Photoshop does not have any of these issues and is able to use graphics acceleration. PS 22.2 can use all drawing modes with all options enabled (other than OpenCL) and it behaves normally. PS 22.4 does not seem to be available to me (yet?).

I tried all of the normal troubleshooting steps, reset preferences, reset PRAM/SMC, reinstall, etc., and none of that helped. But any version from 22.0-22.3 work fine. 
I could understand if my graphics card was incompatible due to it's age/specs; but since it works fine with LR and ACR, I don't believe that is actually the issue.
I have dispabled auto graphics switching in the sysem preferences; although that should not be contributing as the computer is on plug power. And I have tried forcing the computer to always use the discreet (NVIDIA) graphics card using gfxCardStatus app; neither made any difference.
There is no sniffer.exe in the PS app contents that I can find, so I can't disable it; but if I delete the sniffer report file, it is regenerated.

Configuration:
MacBook Pro Retina, early 2013, Catalina 10.15.7, 16GB, 2.7GHz quad i7, onboard graphics
NVIDIA GT 650M 1GB OpenGL
Trackpad control

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"NVIDIA GT 650M 1GB OpenGL"

Photoshop version 22 requires a GPU with a minimum of 2GB of VRAM, your GPU on has 1GB and was released in 2012

That been said Adobe have just released version 22.4 which is meant to address issues with GPU although that may and may not help with the card you have

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that; but versions 22.0-22.3 behave normally, and it should work w/ gpu acceleration disabled. And if 2GB is an actual will-not-run-otherwise requirement, why doesn't the installer check/interrupt the upgrade?

I'll install 22.4 when it becomes available and see what that does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And if 2GB is an actual will-not-run-otherwise requirement, why doesn't the installer check/interrupt the upgrade?"

That's a question you need to ask Adobe, you can post your query on the Adobe Feedback Forum which is monitored by Adobe engineers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

22.4 has the same issues; at least some of them (I didn't check all). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines