• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.4.2 Freezes on Startup screen on macOS 11.4

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just signed up for the Photoshop and Lightroom subscription and I have not been able to open Photoshop since installing it. Every time it opens, it becomes unresponsive and I have to force close. I have tried restarting my computer, uninstalling and re-installing Photoshop, and updating my computer (macOS Big Sur 11.4) with no luck. I saw a troubleshooting tip to disable the graphics processor, but I'm not even able to access the Preferences within Photoshop because it freezes right away. There shouldn't be any custom presets because I have not used it before. 

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble due to Photoshop freezing on launch. Is Photoshop freezing on the Splash screen (launch screen with the Photoshop 2021 art) or after reaching the application interface? 

Since you have update your operating system to macOS Big Sur, please check if Photoshop has the necessary permissions by following the steps suggested below: 

1. Go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab.

2. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left & check if Photoshop is added to the list with a check mark in front of it.

3. If Photoshop is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon & navigating to the Applications folder.

4. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under Full disk access located in the same list as Accessibility.

5. Once done, restart the Mac & check if it helps.

In case Photoshop is freezing on the splash screen, please check out the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/freeze-on-launch.html

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It is freezing after reaching the application interface. I verified that Photoshop was checked under both Assessibility and Full Disk Access. I tried unchecking and re-checking and restarting my computer, but it is still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder*, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

Also: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

*To manually delete Photoshop preferences:
Quit Photoshop.
Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder:
macOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
Windows 10: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note:
The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS. To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see How to access hidden user library files.
Drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe for a back-up of your settings 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've wasted hours on this same issue. Same symptoms, in MacOS 11.4, on a 2017 27" iMac.

I have repeatedly removed some, and then all preferences files, diligently following the instructions provided by Adobe. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop, with no effect, and done the above again, with no effect.

I have now tried following the Permissions steps recommended by @nikunj.m in this thread. It gets me from Photoshop hanging on a grey box to it hanging on the “What's New” screen. Not a lot of progress... It's where I was when this issue started.

I genuinely appreciate the effort to help, @nikunj.m, and welcome all further suggestions. And at the same time I hope you and Adobe will understand why I find the idea of needing to override core system-level security measures and give full control of my Mac and full disc access to any graphics app just to get it to launch unacceptable, unprofessional and an indication of something deply awry at the developer.

Please fix this crippling issue. I am using alternate tools while losing more and more trust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one): does it still crash?

If you boot into Safe mode (hold down Shift Key at boot): does it still crash?

Have you tried running a free utility like Onyx to see if that stops the crashing? 

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent many hours on this issue and tried everything in this thread, and more - but nothing has helped. I am using a 2019 iMac running macOS 11.4; 8 core Intel i9, 96 GB RAM, and Radeon Pro Vega.

Photoshop hangs at the "What's New" splash screen.

I have completely uninstalled Photoshop and Creative Cloud, rebooted and reinstalled them.

I have checked permissions, trashed the preferences and settings, removed files in the ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/OOBE direcory, run Onyx, run in safe mode; and done everything else that I can find in this and other threads.

Nothing has helped, How can I wipe out every shred of Photoshop's installation so I can try an install as if it never existed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@robertm1950 wrote:

Nothing has helped, How can I wipe out every shred of Photoshop's installation so I can try an install as if it never existed?

Do a CLEAN install of the OS (not from migration assistant), you'll have a totally clean, virgin Mac. 

Yes, it's a bit of work and you'll have to install all your applications and enter serials etc, but you'll fix the problem and more. There's just too much 'gunk' hanging around from old OSs, installs, extenstions etc. 

If you're not sure this is the fix, boot off an external drive (preferably SSD for speed) that contains nothing but a clean OS, install Photoshop; you'll very, very likely see it runs just fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I tried a suggestion from user @TheDigitalDog about creating a new user and running Photoshop. Holy Adobe! It worked!  Unfortunately, when I log in with my normal user name Photoshop still hangs. But, to those that are more tech-savy, this may prove to be a good lead to a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@robertm1950 wrote:

Ok, so I tried a suggestion from user @TheDigitalDog about creating a new user and running Photoshop. Holy Adobe! It worked!  Unfortunately, when I log in with my normal user name Photoshop still hangs. But, to those that are more tech-savy, this may prove to be a good lead to a solution.

Yes, that indicates something in your main admin user account is conflicting with Photoshop. That's why I had you try this with a different account. 

What is it? I can't say but it IS something in that original library or system. This also indicates, the issue isn't Photoshop per se, it is something else meaning, you will have to trace other items that run in that system that do not in the other. I wish I could be more specific but without having any idea what is also running on that user account, I can't help any more. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheDigitalDog Thanks for the assist. I've got some investigating to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here.
Tried installing previous version until it worked.
Now I have the 22.3.1 and it's working..

If changing account helps, any of you with the same problem have the account logged in on mobile version of the Adobe app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines