Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 3D IBL issue

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

All of a sudden, when I apply an IBL to a 3D object and hit render, it renders seemingly without the IBL light/color/information. Attached is a dropbox link with a PSD if anyone can help me out! 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/149cj0gme6lvl76/Planet%20Test.psd?dl=0

Thanks a lot, 

A

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

An IBL would normally be an HDR image with a much higher dynamic range than you are using. Try gong to the Environment tab and editing the IBL. Convert it to 32 bit mode and add an exposure adjustment layer. Then set the exposure to around +3 and offset to around -0.155

Then close and save the IBL.

I really would recomend you use a 3D application such as Blender to do this where you have full control over the lighting, fewer bugs, accurate preview renders and much faster rendering.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave. I will give this a try. I will also start teaching myself Blender, if only so I don't have to keep bothering you. 

Much appreciated. 

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Asking questions here is not a bother. I and others enjoy answering them. 🙂

However, whilst Photoshop excels at 2D and is OK for limited occassional 3D use, it's 3D implementation does have some bugs and has not moved on much since it was introduced many years ago. Rendering is very slow since it uses the CPU rather than GPU. The last change to Base/Metal/Roughness materials also introduced some additional bugs that can appear in the Render.

So if you are going to do much 3D work, I recommend a full 3D app that renders using the GPU and offers far more control. Blender is very good, and is free.

I use 3D apps for modelling texturing and rendering and then bring the results into Photoshop for finishing and futher compositing.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines