• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 6.0.01 not working after Windows 10 update

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I know, I'm old! I am still using PS6 ! I have it on my laptop and it does everything I need, so why pay for  a newer version?

So my problem is that after doing the latest Windows 10 update this week, I was getting an error that would not allow Photoshop to open, it would start to open and then just stop and give an error. I did some searching and found people saying to reset the preferences to open in a previous version so I tried this, but it didn't work. I was only able to get it back by uninstalling the Windows update and Photoshop is now working. 

The problem now is, I keep getting a pop up from Windows telling me to install the update every half an hour or so. So what are my options? Obviously I will eventually have to install the Windows update, but then I am left with no Photoshop. It looks like my only Photoshop option now is a monthly subscription at $30 a month? I don't want to do this as I only do a few photos a month , so it's just not worth it. I saw that there is a free to use basic version that I can download to use with Windows ( Express?), but it only does the bare minimum and doesn't for example, resize photos, which I use on all my photos,  for a small website that I have.

What I use Photoshop for is, resizing and cropping photos, rotating and contrast/brightness, some touch ups such as clone stamp, blur tool, paintbrush and sometimes using layers. Nothing fancy.

So I guess my question is, is there a work around to fix my problem that I haven't tried yet or is my version just too old so it's now good for nothing? And if it is too old, what should I use now?

I would appreciate any suggestions for something that isn't a subscription and that is not complicated to use. I am worried that my basice knowledge will not be enough if I get the latest version and I will be paying for things that I don't need or even know how to use. Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi photooshop cs6 is not working more on windows 10 new version so you may run on olde version of windows 10...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 has some compatibility mode and a compatibility troubleshooter.   If you did not try these option you may want to try updating windows ant try these Windows 10 features to see if you can get Photoshop 6 to run.  Right click on the Photoshop 6 Desktop launching icon ad click on Properties the the Compatible tab.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thanks, I forgot to say that I did also try the trouble shooter and it also was not able to fix it for me. Not sure what I could try next.

Lisa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 6 was released in 2000 that is 20 years ago. Are you still driving your 2000 model car. Products have a life cycle.  Even if you get PS 6 working its outdated and missing many worthwhile enhancements.  Like Camera RAW scripting an many improvement to tool for making better and easier selections.  For less than $100 you would be be better off with Photoshop Elements than PS6. If you use a lot of Photoshop features  you would have updated  years ago.  Element does not have all of  Photoshop features and may not support Lab or CMYK and other feature advance user use.  Element will most likely have all the features you use plus many improve and may be easier for you to use.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who cares how old the product is, newer does not always mean better. It worked, met needs, supported LAB and CMYK..  Very well in fact.  Many of the features the new version of Photoshop has can also be accomplished in the older PS6.  I run my copy in a virtual environment of Windows 10 that has not had the patch applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A virtual environment without the patch - great idea! Do you have any
details on how to set that up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JoB1Kenobi,

I use VMWare, but I've had it for a while. There are free solutions out
there. Each one is a little different in creating the virtual image. But
these days it's as simple as Install the virtual machine software, create a
virtual instance, install the OS from the installation media.

I understand that VirtualBox is a good choice for free Virtual Machine
software. But I haven't used it so take that with a grain of salt...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using "Compatibility" mode "Windows 95" and it worked fine. Folks are reporting Windows 98 works fine too. Right click on Photoshop, then go to Properties and then "Compatibility" tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is really nice information for me thanks for the informatin.

Robert Vincent
Graphic Design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also using the PS6 version like you, but I installed the old Windown 10 and it works normally.

Cung cap do tho cung Bat Trang chinh hang: https://battrang24h.com/san-pham/bo-do-tho-cung

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, what do you mean by Installing the old version? I uninstalled the Windows 10 update and PS6 is now working, but Windows keeps prompting me to re-install the update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

turn off the winsows update...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything I am reading says that this either can't be done, or can only be done for a short time and then I will have to eventually update to the new version? I can only find these confusing instructions..

Turn off Windows Updates in Windows 10

To stop automatic Windows Updates in Windows 10, you will have to:

1. Disable Windows Update & Windows Update Medic Services
  2. Change WU settings using the Group Policy Editor
  3. Set your network connection to ‘Metered’
  4. Use a free tool that lets you disable automatic updates.

So turning off updates will only work until there is another update? I don't think this solves my problem. I just got another pop up telling me that I have to restart my computer to download the update. I am going around in circles. If you know how to stop the update, please explain how I do this as I do not know how and do not understand the instructions above. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Elements 2020 is less than $100.00 May not be able to record your own Action  but may actualy be better for Photoshop 6  is 20 years old.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJMack,  I would rather purchase outright then do a subscription. I will look into this now.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I was only able to get it back by uninstalling the Windows update and Photoshop is now working. "

Hi

Old software works best when you don't change the hardware or the operating system. You might try the Microsoft forum to find out how to turn off updates. Other options are purchasing a license for Elements, which has been suggested, or subscribing to the Photography plan. It's an annual plan, paid monthly at $9.99 per month.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, tried uninstalling PS6 and reinstalling, that would not even start the EXE file so I am snookered. 

I am trying GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program it is similar to PS.its Free open source and there are numerous tutorials on YouTube to help you along the way  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello... it on identical path... Microsoft should be accountable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi i have Photoshop 6 with same problem 🤬🤬🤬

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many - including myself - had problems running the old Photoshop V6 after The Windows 10 latest update.  Perhaps others made the same mistake that I did in trying to use the compatibility features in Windows.  That is, forgetting that the ICON on my desktop is a SHORTCUT to Photoshop 6.  You cannot apply a "run as a Windows 98 program" to the shortcut, duh.  You have to go into your Adobe folder (or wherever) and apply that feature to the Photoshop.exe itself.  Then it works. 

[email removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible solution:

I've been look at this with the help of my son (who is a software engineering student at Uni).

He suggested using Windows Compatability mode.  The recommended mode from the Windows Troubleshooter doesn't work, but if you set it to Windows 98 / Windows Me it works!!!

If you need instructions for how to do this I've written some out here:

https://jofoxadventuresinart.wordpress.com/2021/04/12/how-to-get-photoshop-6-0-to-run-after-the-wind...

I hope this is helpful.  All the very best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, apparently my link address isn't working.  So here it is again...

https://jofoxadventuresinart.wordpress.com/2021/04/12/how-to-get-photoshop-6-0-to-run-after-the-wind...

I hope this works properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I right-clicked the PhotoShop 6.0 icon, then clicked Properties, Compatability, and chose Windows 95. Then it worked fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have Adobe Photoshop 6, and it stopped working after the windows 10, 20h2 something update, like the first poster I do not use it very often so why would I want to pay an arm and a leg for an updated version when I have a version that was working and meeting my needs until the last major windows update caused it to stop working. I uninstalled the update but Adobe still wont run, also tried all of the compatibility modes did not help.

I am in the process of building an old school Akai stereo system that is nearly as old as I am at 62 years, this is a component system of many separate pieces, there are no modern updates that are equivalent, and there are many people who have old cars, that are very collectable, some over 100 yards old, many are the areas in our society that people have all kinds of antique stuff, lets see, comics, baseball cards, vehicles, victorian homes, old paintings, old tools, name the products and there are old versions many of which are very prised and collectable, I suppose you would tell all of those people to buy brand new stuff that is based on built in obsolescence so that the manufacturers can rake in the money much faster because its all about built in obsolescence since the late 70s when I first became aware that was the way it was going, before then manufacturers built quality stuff to build brand loyalty, which I am sure you are well aware of in telling the first poster to update his Photoshop?

And besides if a windows update caused an older program to malfunction, who is to say the brand new version will fare any better? we are talking about Microsoft windblows ya know.

If you have and old stuff, why don't you take your own advice an chuck it out and replace it with new stuff? your attitude was quite rude telling the other poster to update his photoshop, did you not read what he said, that he only uses it occasionally and it worked fine until the windblows update,

Some people in various income bracets like buying old cars as some of them restored are highly collectable and are a status symbol when you are cruising down the road, ring any bells for you? got any old things you have collected? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines