• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Acting Weird

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've searched and searched and haven't found anything related to my issues. Plus, I'm not sure I can actually describe it, but here goes (with screenshots). I have three things going on.

1. Whenever I switch tools when on the same layer, I'm "thrown off" that layer. In other words, I have to select that layer again. Small thing, but collectively time-consuming.

2. If I zoom in or out it does this (see 1st screenshot).

3. And if I switch between two open Photoshop files it does this (see 2nd screenshot).

On both #2 and #3 selecting the selection tool makes it go away. Never had this happen before, and it's driving me nuts. I'd really appreciate any tips. For the record, I have the latest version of Photoshop, and using Mac High Sierra 10.13.6.

Thank you!

Zoom In.png

Switching Between Photoshop Files.png

 

 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Edit: 

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Edit: 

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried to turn anything off or messed with preferences yet. I was hesitant until I got some professional advice like yours. I'll try these things and see if that makes a difference. BTW, I haven't changed any settings. This just started happening out of the blue, but I suspect I may have unintentionally switched something. Again, will give these a try and post my findings soon. Thanks so much for your quick response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the first suggestion and it worked (turning off "Use Graphics Processor" in Performance Preferences and restarting).

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this is no proper solution as it invalidates GPU dependent features (like the Rotate View Tool and some Filter acceleration for example) but it indicates problems with the GPU driver or the OS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, good troubleshooting as always. Hamiterj, is any more recent version of MacOS compatible with your computer, you are running the bare minimal version of the OS, and are missing possible GPU driver updates in the newer versions.

Which GPU do you have in your Mac? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

I've been (mistakenly, I know) putting off upgrading the OS because that renders some of my other software incompatible – in other words, having to purchase newer versions. I'll admit, I'm being cheap. According to Apply I can update directly to Catalina, however, and if not doing this affects my GPU performance, I guess I should "man up" and do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant, "according to Apple."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new Mac Pro running the latest version of Mac OS Catalina and I run into many things that require me to turn off the GPU acceleration in Photoshop and Illustrator.

Bugs in those programs have required me to revert to earlier versions many times.This is not something new, I've seen it over several OS, Photoshop and Illustrator versions.

Unfortunately the only thing I find that works is to turn it off when you need to, then turn it back on when you're done with that particular task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. I've heard of this sort of thing happening. Were you previously on a Mac? And if so, did you have any Adobe issues on earlier OS versions, including El Capitan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been on many different Macs over the years. 2013 Mac Pro, 2 different iMacs. Have had these issues for many years, I think that includes El Capitan, but at this point that's a bit fuzzy, but I can tell you that these issues existed since Sierra for sure.

I have no idea if it's an Adobe or Apple issue. My impression is that if you use nVidia GPUs then these issues don't exist, but Apple stopped using them years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I lost count of how many Macs I've used over the years. My iMac's going on 5 years old. I can still update to the latest OS, but I'm overdue for an upgrade as 4 years is usually my max before I get a new one. I had a lot fewer problems before I upgraded to High Sierra, which I was told I had to do to run Adobe Cloud properly. At the time, I did some research and saw lots of issues with El Capitan (the latest at the time). Still hesitant to update, especially from what you've said here, but I'll probably be forced (as we all are) to do it. Need to do a bit more research first. You've been very helpful, and I appreciate your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines