Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop actions

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I want to create a script for a simple task that I will have to do for next few months.

I want to import a photo in 3 different artboard, save and quit. 

I know how to create a script... but I don't understand how I can tell photoshop which photo or in which folder to go to get the proper image, because the photos are always gonna change depending of what is needed at the moment.

Thanks 🙂 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A script can have a dialog or button that lets you select a specific file. Or you can use something like a text file listing (maybe exported from a spreadsheet) of files to process. How would the script user know which photos are required, if this was done manually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, do you mean scripts that are written in plain text in ExtendScript/JavaScript? Or do you mean an action that is recorded via the actions panel? I only ask because the title of your topic post is "Photoshop actions" and not "Photoshop scripts" so the body content does not match the topic title. Many people use the terms interchangeably, however, they are separate things (an action can run a script and a script can play an action).

This could be performed in many different ways, semi-automated using existing features and recording an action or fully automated via scripting.

Could you list in more detail, perhaps step by step what you are looking for?

For example, the following action does exactly what you ask, it is semi-automated and requires manual input from the user to select 3 input files and it will then create 3 artboards (optionally requiring user input for names/sizes), then automatically move the layers into each artboard and then ask you to save a PSD and then it closes down the file. It does not quit as you stated, however, that is possible too. Now if you had a variable quantity of input images, then you would need a script, not an action as this method uses a mixture of fixed, relative and absolute operations (otherwise you would need to make a separate action for each quantity of input images).

files-to-artboards-atn.png

P.S. You said you know how to script, but not how to open a file via a dialog... One way to do so is like this:

var inputFile = File.openDialog('Select a file...', '~/Desktop');
app.open(inputFile);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you! 

Stephen you are right I was misleading. I meant actions... I don't know how to script!

Basically I want to import the same image on two artboards, under the black and white filter, and save them.

But I just don't understand how to tell the action I create where to go get the images and where to save them.

You can check the screenshots I included (the image will go in the colored squares)

Thanks 🙂  Capture d’écran, le 2020-03-21 à 09.48.54.pngCapture d’écran, le 2020-03-21 à 09.49.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'm still trying to understand though...

You originally said 3 artboards, but now talk about only 2. Your screenshot has a layer group/set, not an artboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sorry it's 3, I only had 2 in the screenshot. 

3 artboards, same picture across those 3 artboards.

As you can see the only changes between the artboards are the color and the text.

It's for a playlist cover design, each artist has 3 categories of playlists (beginners, mid and pros (but in french), so 3 different covers but with the same photo.

So what I need to do is create a series of event to import the photo of the artist in those 3 artboards, below the color layer, and then export that in 3 JPEG. 

The reason is that I will have to do this for like maybe 900 artists haha.

Is it more clear?

I included a screenshot to show you what it looks like for one artist.

Thank you so much.Capture d’écran, le 2020-03-21 à 11.49.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Action can not use logic to change how action steps work.  Action steps can be made interactive so you can change how a step works like place in a different artboard files. Rather then the artboard file recorded into the actual recorded action step.  These Action are interactive they can not be batched for you are required to interact with the processing and do the logic that action can not do. If  all your artboard are the same size or all have the same aspect ratio. You may be able to create a Collage or Mockup Template PSD file and batch populate  your template with your artboard files using a Photoshop Script you download from the web. Adobe does not supply any batch template populating scripts.

All Scripts and Actions have dependencies.  All must be meet or the  automation will fail.

I have never used Photoshop Artboard feature I even removed the tool from mt toolbar so I have no Idea of what Artboard file are like or if  they can be used for populating template PSD.  I do not design things for web devices. I do not know if you must have artboards for what what you do. To create a collage like you show does not require artboards  image files will do. 

No one uses all of Photoshop features why keep all in the toolbar.

image.png

I'm slow one canvas is all I can handle... I have to keep reminding myself keep it simple stupid

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is a little better, however, it would be really helpful if you could provide a download link to a finished file and the source files that created the finished files. I think that there are far too many unknowns and other variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines