• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop almost unusable VERY laggy when designing book covers

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run a small online business making book covers, I have an adobe cc subscription and this problem I noticed when I upgraded monitors to a 4k, although was somewhat prevlate on my standard HD.

The PC I use I have zero problems with otherwise, it is running a i7-9700k @ 3.60ghz I have 32gb of ram and  GeForce RTX 2070. I shouldnt' have any problems making book covers in photoshop, I've been doing it for years now.

But with this 4k monitor, it is laggy beyond belief, i've updated the graphics drivers to the studio version, I don't know what I could be missing with this its terrible.

For a laugh I opened the same book cover file in photopea and that ran better then the latest version of photoshop did, it wasn't even comparabe, photopea ran at the equvalit of 60fps, photoshop runs at like 10-20.

Is there anything I am missing with this? Zero reason why my PC shouldn't be able to run photoshop, with the very simple things I am doing.

thanks in advance for any help 🙂

Rob W.

Also, I opened the same files on my macbook and I don't have an issue eaither. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we're sorry you're having trouble. In practice this problem only occurs when the monitor is connected, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So honestly the problem while not as pronouced on the HD monitor, is much worse on the 4k. When I take the 4k display down to 1080 then it seems to cut down the laggyness a tad, but it's still there. I figured maybe I needed more ram so I bough a 16gb stick to add to my other one so now I have 32, I figured this would slove the problem but so far there is no differnce. I've tried:

1. Fresh install

2. Updated monitor drivers

3. Updated graphics card drivers to the studio version

4. I also went back to last years version of photoshop, while not as pronouced of a problem there, it still isn't smooth

5. I tried installing photoshop on my other HD on the computer that isn't the SSD

6. Under performace I increased ram to 80% and everything that could be tried in porformace tab.

Just really weird, I feel like this computer shouldn't have issues running photoshop and editing book cover files, I mean max they are 300dpi 3800x2800px images, I'm not working with like poster sized files, but it gets so laggy sometimes that it's almost impossible to work with, I power through because it's my business, but it's just maddening at this point.

I feel like photoshop should run just as good if not better then dumb photopea 😛 but I was sorta astonised at the difference, which made me more mad and concernd with how my computer is running it now.

And I have no issues with nothing else, I run dual screens one is 4k and the other is 1080 and nothing else I have lags like photoshop does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Photoshop are you using?

Is your 4K monitor using GSync ? If so, you may want to try disabling it for Photoshop. See the discussion below:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/gsync-adobe-programs-affect-refresh-rate/td-p/10717883?page...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked over that, but I don't have the option on my end under those settings, there isn't a gsync option for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw you helped someone a few months back and their problem sounds exactly like mine, I feel ike Gsync is to blame, but inmy NVIDIA control pannel I don't see any option to changes or turn off Gsync 😕 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So looking into it more my monitor doesn't have Gsync...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So looking at things more the vast majority of the lag seems to be coming from the text on the covers, the images move around pretty good (still nowhere near as smooth as dumb photopea) but I can work with it.

The text when I just move like for example someones name making a book, when I take their name then flip it horizontal to go on the spine of the book, it moves in chunks and is so laggy it's very hard to get straight, I know this isn't normal because on my Macbook pro it is very smooth and I've been using photoshop for book covers for about 9 years now and this has never been an issue.

Also the lag is 100% still there when turn off the 4k monitor and work directly from my 1080 monitor with the 4k unplugged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines