Highlighted

Photoshop and webP

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why doesn't Photoshop natively support the webP format? Will that change soon?

Topics

FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop and webP

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why doesn't Photoshop natively support the webP format? Will that change soon?

Topics

FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user forum not Adobe. Adobe also does not publicize their future plains. Or give reason why the do things. Many of us would like to know both.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

You'd be right amazed at what some users know, often more than Adobe support.  Some users are also key dev folk. I suspect the answer on this one lies somewhere in a standards tussle. Having one format to rule them all would lead to that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you know there are WebP third party photoshop plugins like this one?

http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/WebPFormat

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. If I were desperate I'd use one of them even though they all seem to have their problems.

My hidden hope is that Adobe will put its weight down somewhere on JPG replacement. Maybe they are in ignoring webP. <G>

Thanks again, Jeff.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I happen to agree here - jpeg is seriously overdue for a replacement, and Photoshop could help push.

The problem, I suspect, is that jpeg is too effective. File sizes down to 2% of original with no immediate visual damage is hard to beat. Most people don't know or even care that jpeg degradation is cumulative.

So there's no perceived need out there. We already have something that works for 99.999% of all users. They don't feel they have anything to gain, so why bother. All downside and no upside.

It's the same story as, random example, 30 bit display support. It never gets any traction, because there's no perceived need, no real market to tap into.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sort of in the 99.99% on this; while the JPEG standard is definitely old by internet standards, it also is fairly effective and supported by everything at this point.  Personally I also have old photo archives in JPEG format, so even just for consistency's sake it is nice to keep it the same. 

Much like Google+ this webP format is a nice try on Google's part, but they are re-inventing something that already exists and is pretty darn good the way it is. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question has nothing to do with replacing the current or legacy Joint Photographic Experts Group standards but rather the limited one of support for webP.  Adobe supports a big beautiful list of infrequency used file types but not this one. It's BSD licensed so that is seemingly not the issue.

Most browsers now support webP. Many developers appreciate the file size reductions holding quality equal and the ability to go transparent without changing file type.

As JJMack noted, most readers here are unable to access the collective mind of Adobe, but hope springs eternal. The answer may be as simple as webP in the dev pipeline with more important work inserted ahead.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your more likely to get a response from adobe if you ask over here:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff. That's a fine place and I've gone there. The discussions are still at the suggest third-party plug-in stage. even those marked as Idea rather than help. I've also made a direct feature request to Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As author of the linked (open source) WebP plugin, I'd very much like to hear about any problems you encountered.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Can you make something like this for lightroom maybe please ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

qu1j0t3, it works great. Some people just diss without knowing. So thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The op wasn't dissing. Some people just don't feel like a program we pay this much for should require an additional plugin to support a rapidly becoming popular format, while they have so many other formats natively supported without being the case of popularity.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two years later, no native support for .webp?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric - I too would like to see this as an open and Save As Web option. I don't like installing third party software on a work computer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has an official Feature Request been opened?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebP will not liklely get traction because Apple won't support it. Without the iPhone, websites would be back to the fractured web with different sites for different browsers and nobody wants that. I'd rather see Google adopt HEIC, personally.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Apple now supporting WebP on macOS and iOS, so now all browsers are supporting it. So, Adobe CC needs to support it natively!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha, Safari 14 (released this week as optional download) now supports WebP. But that's hardly "all browsers" unless you want to design web sites that don't work for people who haven't downloaded this week's software. I'd give it another 5 years until it's reasonable to stop supporting Safari 13, though your clients may feel longer is better.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines