Photoshop Animation File Corrupt - Black Screen Red Lines

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a complaint for Adobe, and a warning to Photoshop animators.

I animate with Photoshop professionally. I had spent weeks on a shot in Photoshop with hundreds and hundreds of frames. Today I opened the file and it was flattened to a single black background layer with red lines dashed across the canvas. There's nothing in the AutoRecover folder.

This is the second time this has happened on a shot that I've put dozens (probably 100+) of hours into, during a time crunch.

I understand Photoshop isn't for animation, and I was putting a heavy load on the program. But I've worked on heavy files before with no problem aside from having to save as a .PSD when I exceed the 2 gb limit.

I have been getting disk cache errors. However, I have been diligent about clearing the cache regularly, and freeing up space on my C: drive. I believe I had ~40 GB free when this occurred. I have 16 GB RAM for context.

I suspect this happened because my computer went to sleep / shut down when Photoshop was open, (and maybe the disc cache was too full to autosave on its own, but 40 GB of free space should be plenty!)

I also think I should have saved it as a .PSB, and maybe that would have helped but who knows!

My chief complaint is that Photoshop ought to have a better autosave feature, akin to Premiere and After Effects, not just Autorecover. My Auto Recovery is set to every 10 minutes, but whenever I need it the folder is empty.

I called Adobe Customer Service and told them about this, and they basically told me that "Photoshop is a heavy program" and that animation is a heavy workflow for Photoshop.

I would be surprised if there's a way to recover my work at this point. Really considering switching to ToonBoom or Krita now! 😄

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue?

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Feature request, Performance, Problem or error

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File corruption is always caused by failing hardware. Usually a drive about to fail ("I have been getting disk cache errors").

It can also be bad RAM, or, in the case of external drives, loose connectors or flaky cables.

You need to identify the faulting hardware, and make backups ASAP, befor the corruption spreads.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's one thing I would drill into people who have mission-critical documents: Backup, backup, backup and have a contingency plan. If there's only one mission-critical document that exists for a given project and that ends up going kablooey...seriously, don't let that happen.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are getting Disk errors like disk cache errors.  You need to use disk diagnostics and recovery programs to see if the disk can be saved and data recovered.  You may need to replace your disk and recover data from the failing disk.    Corrupt data from disk problems and undetected RAM errors can really damage your files.   Photoshop does not flatten  documents on its own logic errors and Photoshop automated processes Action, Scripts and Plug-ins can flatten or save over a layer file with a flattened file. Photoshop does not flatten or write files  unless directed to do that.

JJMack

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines