• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop - Arrange to Selection or Canvas N/A (greyed out)

New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Simply; when working in a document and trying to align content (individual layers or groups) to a specific object I have always used the links option. This no longer seems to work in the same tradition of 20 odd years gone by. I am sure that I missed an announcement, but it is beyond frustrating.

I link layers. I select the layer I want everything to align to. I link. I then select the chosen master layer. I click the chosen align in the align tools. Everything (including the chosen master layer) all moves to the canvas NOT the chosen layer!!!

I look in the arrange panel... click the three dots... see the option for what SHOULD be selection or artboard... it is greyed out!

I have worked with colleagues through the same issues... their versions DO NOT have the greyed out drop down menu!!?!

I am starting to add more exclamation marks, so feel it best to stop typing here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

G

[Windows 10 - up to date]

[Photoshop cc 22.4.0 (This has been happening for quite some time, with previosu updates. I know I am not on the latest release, however I feel it would make little difference updating, while in the midst of a busy project, as I do not think it will fix this... particularly as it has been the case certainly over the last few iterations)]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is work as it should on my Mac. Have you tried resestting the preferences?

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @melissapiccone . Thank you for your speedy reply (apologies for my very slooooooow reply).

I haven't tried resetting the preferences. As always, I am always doing something and do not want to to have to rebuild panel layouts again, while working on a project. I will look to do this as soon as I can.

Out of interest, what makes you think the preferences would affect the option to align to the artboard or layer? I should mention that I have been working within documents that have artboards, so not sure if that may cause the issue? I will test out if this is occurring in a normal photoshop file soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When things stop behaving as they should, resetting the preferences often fixes it. I just tried it with artboards and it's not working correctly and my subject is grayed out. It must be something with artboards. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines