Highlighted

Photoshop artboard gray-ing out

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working in Ps my artboard goes gray every time I make another program or window active. This is especially annoying when working with two screens. Every time I start working on my second monitor the artboard goes gray. The only fix is to click back into photoshop and zoom in or out a couple of times.

I'm having additional issues within photoshop where when moving photos or text boxes, the area around the selected object will go gray as well. And again, the preview is only restored to 100% capacity after zooming in our out a few times. Any help would be appreciated!

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 11.30.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 11.30.24 AM.png

Topics

Bug, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop artboard gray-ing out

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working in Ps my artboard goes gray every time I make another program or window active. This is especially annoying when working with two screens. Every time I start working on my second monitor the artboard goes gray. The only fix is to click back into photoshop and zoom in or out a couple of times.

I'm having additional issues within photoshop where when moving photos or text boxes, the area around the selected object will go gray as well. And again, the preview is only restored to 100% capacity after zooming in our out a few times. Any help would be appreciated!

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 11.30.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 11.30.24 AM.png

Topics

Bug, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first thought is it might be video driver/graphics acceleration-related. If you disable it, does it go away? (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphics Processor Settings. Uncheck, "Use Graphics Processor.")

That's great artwork, by the way.  🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No change, unfortunately. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does sound like a video adapter and/or driver issue dealing with redraw. Did you try other resolutions and refresh rates?

Unfortunately, you guys in the macOS world are at the mercy of Apple when getting video driver updates. The only thing I can suggest is to contact Apple to see what they say.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, I opened a topic about this same problem, maybe it should be closed to follow the same issue here. I disabled the Graphic processor also but still happens. I have to scroll up/down to see again the artboards, and this is very very annoying. Can't see where I'm dragging things, can't work on two documents opened side by side. I'll try to downgrade as a temporary fix <-- If anyone tries this, don't forget to export/backup your workspaces, or you'll lost them all.

This problem happens to me and to my work colleague. I'm using an iMac 27, 2017, 10.14.6 and he's using iMac 21, 2015, 10.14.6.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was able to fix the issue by playing around some more in preferences < performance. What ultimately ended up working for me was lowering the number of "History States" to 25 and changing the "cache levels" to 4. Not necessarily ideal because you lose the ability to undo further back, but it did resolve my issue. 

Hopes this helps!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It totally worked for me! I updated Photoshop and I no longer have the disappearing artboards anymore, with  25 History States. Thank you!

Oops, the problem came back again. It worked just for a while and happened again to me, so I couldn't fix it with this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lowering the number of History States didn't worked for me but my solution was resetting my Preferences (holding down Option+Command+Shift as Photoshop starting).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reset my preferences, I have lowered history states, I've checked off Graphics Processor. None have worked. Please help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try giving the CC Cleaner Tool a shot? (Note that it'll nuke everything; you'd have to reinstall and reconfigure Adobe apps.)

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downgraded back to the previous version and I'm back to loving life. I've turned off auto-update as well. Back to my update paranoia. Disappointed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that's an option. Obviously there are a lot of people out there experiencing the same problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reference's sake, which version is that? The one before the official release? (21.1.3?)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Keith, I'm having the same problem. How did you resolve it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines