• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Fix Disappeared Brush Outline in Photoshop?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

I can't see the outline of my brush anymore, I tried everything.

- reset by brush tools

- reinstalled photoshop

- and toggle back and forth on caps lock

It only shows the crosshair.. I have no idea on what to do next..

can you help?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Hi JeppeVolander,

Sorry that you're having trouble using the Brush tool in Photoshop. Please take a look at this discussion Photoshop: My brush cursor is showing a cross instead of a circle (turn off CAPS LOCK) | Photoshop Family Customer Commu… and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with my brushes turing from my circle to the arrow.  I had all the options correct:

1. Prefs:  Normal Brush Tip

2. Caps lock off (1. on usb keyb 2. on the laptop)

3. Toggling the cap lock off and on

4. Rebooted the laptop

Still nothing it seem worked.  

What solved the issue is I have a docking station that connects to my USB-C.  I removed that, went back into PS and the brush circle appeared.  If you have a docking station connected, I would recommend removing it and then running PS just with the sole laptop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I unplugged my usb c charger from my wacom Mobile studio, restarted photoshop and BAM. Finally!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me! thanks for taking the time to mention it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! Mine wasn't the same exact solution, but helped me find mine. I also have a docking station with a bluetooth keyboard. Macbook is closed in clamshell mode, so I couldn't see it's keyboard. Caps lock was OFF on my bluetooth keyboard, things typed normally. I opened my macbook to disconnect the docking, and the caps lock was on on the internal keyboard. So that was why it wasn't working on mine. Thank you for mentioning this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to say that whoever came up with that should not be a designer... why would you not want to see the edge of the brush tool? It's like installing a faucet but fire comes out instead of water...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the similar issue with an (external) magic keyboard and noticed, that my macbook's caps lock was active, but the magic keyboard's was not. Can thus be (apparently) also a bug of the OS. In my case I could solve it by caps locking back and forth on both keyboards :P, if you have a similar bug, rebooting MacOS should also help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOUUUUU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS WAS IT!! Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem, the outline of the brush would appear when I changed its size, or if I toggled Caps Lock, but would disappear everytime I started using it. Turns the issue was that I have a mechanical keyboard plugged into my Macbook through a dock, but Caps Lock was 'on' on the laptop's keyboard. Simply turning off caps lock on the laptops keyboard fixed the issue. I feel like an idiot that it was something so simple, but if anyone is having this issue, it might be because you are using external keyboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!!! My secondary keyoard was in the cupboard - but turned on with the caps lock on. Did not see that coming...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your brish size is too big than it will show +sing only first u need to lessen the size of brush than try anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE 2021: Caps lock is on

Or

The brush outline is too big to be shown inside the viewing window. Decrease brush size or zoom out 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a problem for me. It happens randomly and is really freaking frustrating. I've checked the caps lock, checked the preferences and nothing is fixing it. I generally end up having  to restart to make it fix and it makes me really mad because it screws up my whole creative flow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to use brushes. My Caps button is not locked- that is not my issue.  The brush is there, there is just no paint. I believe I will need technical assistance to help me. Can we set up a time, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines