Highlighted

Photoshop Brush Stroke Not Tapering Right ("Shoelace" Lines - Nub at End)

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brush strokes in photoshop aren't coming out the way I'd like them to. I'm using an Wacom Intuos Pro tablet and have tried it with Pen Pressure for size setting on and off and I still get the same result. 

What's happening is I make a brush stroke and at the end of the stroke it's fat and then suddenly very thin making it look like it was a circular line with a sharp line added to the end of it not one smooth line. It's subtle, but noticable. 

I'm not having this issue in PaintTool SAI (but, then again, I have the option to change the max and min size manually).

Is there any way to fix this/settings to minimize this effect? I've used the smoothing tool and it doesn't help with this either. It just made it look like there's a fat nub at the end of the stroke. 

what do I do.JPG

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop Brush Stroke Not Tapering Right ("Shoelace" Lines - Nub at End)

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brush strokes in photoshop aren't coming out the way I'd like them to. I'm using an Wacom Intuos Pro tablet and have tried it with Pen Pressure for size setting on and off and I still get the same result. 

What's happening is I make a brush stroke and at the end of the stroke it's fat and then suddenly very thin making it look like it was a circular line with a sharp line added to the end of it not one smooth line. It's subtle, but noticable. 

I'm not having this issue in PaintTool SAI (but, then again, I have the option to change the max and min size manually).

Is there any way to fix this/settings to minimize this effect? I've used the smoothing tool and it doesn't help with this either. It just made it look like there's a fat nub at the end of the stroke. 

what do I do.JPG

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called a 'shoelace' artifact, and is usually associated with drivers, but also with which API you are using (windows Ink or WinTab).  What operating system are you using?  If Windows then one surefire way of fixing it is to use the Lazy Nezumi Pro plugin.  LNP is a total no brainer for table users anyway, and gives you way more control than just Photoshop.

Trevor_Dennis_0-1593231808188.png

One of my favourite LNP presets is called Vanishing Lines and makes matching perspective when compositing elements to an existing image a sinch 

Trevor_Dennis_2-1593231985751.gif

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Laura S. LATEST
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Trevor, 

Yes, I'm using Windows. I'm looking into Lazy Nezumi now, thank you for the recommendation! I might just go ahead and purchase it. But I am curious as to what you meant when you said it's usually associated with drivers & API. I'm not sure where to look to check any of that either. I might want to try and see if that's the issue first before I make any purchases. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you may be experiencing the same "problem" I thought I was having with Photoshop brushes. Turns out it's the Wacom pen. With a generic round soft brush selected, click the bottom level on the pen. It should bring up the dialog box in the attached graphic. Mine's was set for the first box, Hard Round. Once I selected Soft Round, the brush behaved as, well as I expected it to.  Hopefully this works for you. Trust me, I changed every setting possible in Photoshop before realizing it was the pen. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 7.21.13 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines