• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Bug: Sliders getting stuck to mouse after release (Mac OS)

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2011 Apr 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When dragging various sliders in Photoshop CS5, very often these sliders get "stuck" and move with the mouse even though you have released the mouse. Say you are dragging a slider to set the brush opacity to 50%. When you have set it to 50%, you release the mouse and move it away from the slider, only to find that the opacity still increases or decreases as you move your mouse. You have to click again to fix this, but then of course you have to go back and do it again.

Below is a small illustration (I can't take a screenshot of my mouse) of an example of when this happens:

lower-opacity copy.jpg

• This happens to me around once every 5 times I use a slider, i.e. extremely often. As you can imagine, it's very annoying and frustrating.
  • I use a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet, and I never use Photoshop without it so I cannot confirm whether this bug happens with a mouse or just the tablet.
  • It doesn't just happen like on the above illustration, but also with any slider such as those in Adjustment Layers and Filters.
  • The bug does not happen when using tools on the canvas (thankfully). So the Brush tool, and every other tool, works fine and never gets "stuck".
  • I have the latest version of Photoshop CS5.
  • This is a bug that has always been in CS5 since the first version, and it has not been in previous versions of Photoshop.

Does anyone else have this issue? Anyone else with a Tablet?

I know there are large amounts of similar, extremely annoying bugs in CS5, but this one is just driving me crazy.

Late 2008 15" MacBook Pro

OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.7 (but the problem has existed way before 10.6.7)

Photoshop CS5 version 12.0.2

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Apr 10, 2011 Apr 10, 2011

Have you installed the 10.6.7 update? (it fixes some OS event handling bugs).

Do you have any third party plugins installed? If so, try disabling them. (because some buggy plugins are known to eat/mangle events)

If CS5 is running slowly for you, then something is wrong with your system -- it could be the OS, or a third party plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2011 Sep 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...it's becasue the problem isn't outside Photoshop (as best I can tell).  I've experienced it on two versions of PS and two versions of OS X, and clearly, I'm not the only one experiencing it.  Your description matches my experience very closely, in that it's not a brush/cursor issue, but a panel/palette issue.

Still waiting for the Adobe folks to chime in on this...

?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting for the Adobe folks to chime in on this...

Read back to post #21.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I read post #21, in which you state that "something on your system outside of Photoshop is interfering with event handling."

In post #22, I explained why your explanation seems extremely unlikely, if not demonstrably false.

I have undertaken extensive measures to troubleshoot this issue; I've documented my efforts meticulously; and I've shared my findings with you and the community—including thorough explanations and video demonstrations.  The same bug has occurred on the last 2 versions of Photoshop (CS5 / CS5.1), running on the last 2 versions of OS X (Snow Leopard / Lion).  Furthermore, I am able to reproduce the error on the cleanest, starkest user environment possible (a brand new system with all but the most essential hardware removed, disconnected or disabled, and with nothing but fresh, updated installations of OS X and Adobe CS5.5.  I have no plugins, no custom preferences, no peripherals and no after-market hardware—and I've disabled bluetooth and wi-fi (Airport).  I've tested RAM, removed RAM, and tested three video cards—two ATI cards (ATI Radeon HD 5770, ATI Radeon HD 4870 and an NVIDIA 8800GT).

Furthermore—other users in this thread are sharing reports of the same exact bug—reducing the likelihood of this being a quirky hardware issue even further.

So—please tell me, Chris—what could this "something on [our] system outside Photoshop" possibly be, in your professional estimation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything I said still stands. You haven't ruled out much, and haven't narrowed down the cause.

Possible causes: a driver conflict (wacom has had bugs like this before), a bug in the OS settings (assistive settings have done things like this before), a third party plugin conflict (yep, seen it before), etc.

Yes, a few people have seen this problem.  But many others have not.  So what is common between the systems of those few that is absent from the systems of the few million other users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I confirmed that it's not an NVIDIA issue, or an ATI issue (by testing three cards independently);
  • I confirmed that it's not a GPU issue (by disabling that feature, and by testing with three different video cards);
  • I confirmed that it's not a faulty RAM issue (by removing/swapping big portions of RAM, and by testing it)
  • I confirmed that it's not specific to Lion or Snow Leopard (since it occurs reliably on both)
  • I confirmed that it's unrelated to internal hardware/peripherals (by uninstalling all hard drives and PCIe cards);
  • I confirmed that it's unrelated to external peripherals (by disconnecting everything but a mouse, keyboard and display from my machine);
  • I confirmed that it's not bluetooth or Airport related (by disabling both, and using a USB mouse & keyboard);
  • I confirmed that it's not related to the brand or type of hard drive (by reproducing the bug with spinning platter drives and SSDs);
  • I confirmed that it's not related to lingering preference files or settings (by installing a clean copy of OS X on a brand new drive);
  • I confirmed that it's not related to 3rd-party drivers or plug-ins (by installing nothing but Adobe CS5.5, and updates);
  • ..and I confirmed that it's isolated to CS5 (because it's never happened on CS4—which is confirmed by another user in this very thread!!!);

Did you even read my post?!

You mention Wacom and third party plugins—I DON'T HAVE THOSE INSTALLED.  HELLO!?

Are assistive settings on by default—NO, SO I DIDN'T HAVE THEM TURNED ON!  HELLOOOOOO?!

To answer your own question—ADOBE PHOTOSHOP CS5.x is the commonality between the systems that are REPORTING this issue.  In fact, the dwindling list of other possibilities has all but vanished at this point.  Disagree?  Then put something on the table that HASN'T already been disproven by the facts stated in this thread.  Vampires?  Genies?  A ham sandwhich stuck to my logic board that I didn't notice?

Out of a few million users, a handful are reporting a debilitating bug.  It is reproducible, and has been exhaustively documented.  That doesn't mean that only a handful of users are experiencing the bug—only that a few are actively discussing it.  Furthermore, if a bug isn't experienced on a system, that doesn't mean that the bug is absent on the system—only that it's not being experienced.

<<abuse and non-helpful bits removed by admin>>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does this only occur with people that are using Wacom tablets?

does Adobe share this information (bug reports) with the tech folks at Wacom?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg this is the worst thing.

I am a digital painter.  So I am constantly making tiny tweaks to the HSB color slider.  This happens like one in 6 times and is incredibly detrimental to my work flow.  I pick the perfect minor color adjustment then go to paint olny to find it dragged it all the way to black......

Using Wacom Cintiq 22hd.  Photoshop CC 2015. 

Adobe please help!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh I should say,

Mac yosimite, cintiq 22hd, photoshop cc 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's with the harsh tone in the last post?

Looks like someone's (yet again) taking out their life's frustrations in a forum that is about a bug in a piece of software. That's why a lot of people that I know (and myself) don't use these forums - because people come here to yell and rant and be unhelpful with their general anger. Had to get that out - now back to what we were discussing:

I have a Logitech Mouse driver (latest version 3.4.0) and a Wacom driver (latest version 6.1.6-4) installed. Do any of the other people who are experiencing this have any of these installed?

I will start trying to install older versions of the Wacom driver and see where that gets me.

I wouldn't rule out some other random conflict like Chris says. I had my Mac not be able to shut down cause I had installed Kaspersky's Anti-Virus for Mac and then disabled it. So it wasn't even actively running at all but messed up my Mac until I fully uninstalled it.

Who knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2011 Sep 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The harsh tone is because I've been trying to get this problem solved since APRIL.  Not only that—but I've been as helpful as I possibly could be to Adobe and the rest of the community.  I haven't stood by and watied for someone else to solve my problems—I've proactively disected every piece of this puzzle that I know how to—and I've dutifully reported every single detail as best I could.

Rather than concern or appreciation, my issue is met with dismissiveness from the developer, like, "You haven't ruled out much, and haven't narrowed down the cause."  That made me feel great about the hours I spent troubleshooting and trying to help solve the problem, while not getting important work done.  And then statements that are bewildering in their lack of attentiveness (e.g. suggestions that something like a plug-in or Wacom driver might be the cause of this bug, when I'd just explained at length how I spent a whole day with my machine dismantled, installing fresh versions of everything, and not installing a single thing other than OS X and ADOBE CS5.  If someone had been through that trying to solve a problem with an expensive product I'd sold them—I'd be a lot more gracious and respectful than Mr. Cox has been.

Regarding the tone of this thread—I don't post much here either, because from my observations, it's not a very pleasant place (and because I don't need help learning Photoshop... only help when there are bugs).  I guess I've contributed to that unpleasantness now.  I don't think my statements were out of line, but if I was unfarily abusive, then I'm sorry about that.  I am losing clients—real clients... my favorite clients—because I can't get my work done as a result of this bug.  It's not a feature request—it's a debilitating bug.  I've been stuck for a week now.  If Chris had been helpful instead of following what seems to amount to a "deny, distract, dismiss" approach, then I would have been understanding.  And in fact, my first post on this forum—though it was about a bug—expressed how appreciative I am of the developers of Photoshop and Illustrator because of the impact they've had on my life as a designer (which would not have been possible otherwise).  But that's not what I got...

How can any logical person look at this thread and conclude that Chris Cox is being helpful or respectful by his posts?  His statements don't show concern, appreciation, understanding, or a reflection that he's even read through the issue.  Is his tone respectful in your eyes?  What if you were in my position—waiting for a solution so you can continue to make a living and get on with your life—only to be dismissed like this because millions of other users don't have your problem.  He offers no supporting facts or theories to bolster his statement that this issue is "something...outside Photoshop."  Perhaps he's right—I don't know... I'm not a developer.  But if he actually believes what he's saying and has strong reasoning for his statement—then why is he so coy about the supporting details.  For example—what possible explanations are there (actual examples or theories, not just "something...")?  So far, his suggestions are unsupported by the data that I've gone to great effort to provide.  I don't need to be a developer to understand that.

Once again—how can he be so sure that it's something "outside Photoshop" when:

a) no other application has ever behaved this way on my entire system, ever;

b) Photoshop CS4 does NOT exhibit this behavior now—nor has it ever;

c) other components of Photoshop CS5 do not even exhibit this bug—so why isn't this "outside" force blocking mouse-up actions for those things;

d) this bug is replicable on different systems—different versions of OS X, different hard drives, different hardware configurations;

Nobody has offered explanations to these things—which makes me feel quite strongly that I'm not getting a truthful or respectful response.  Is someone working on this problem?  Does any developer want to take me up on my offer of my logs and files?  I'll even send you my hard drive, and if I have to, my whole Mac Pro tower.  Is there something else I should try?  I'm all ears.  In the meantime... I'm losing sleep, money, clients and sanity.

I'm more than willing to be wrong, but I'd put good money on the fact that I'm not—that this is a Photoshop bug, and it's being denied because it only affects a handful of users, so who cares... right?  I've offered a handful of solid, objective reasons for that conclusion, and have yet to hear one objective reason why my conclusions can't be true, are likely not true, or may not be true.  Furthermore, my experience is mirrored by the experiences of other users who have posted in this thread and elsewhere on the internet. 

How can it be something outside Photoshop if there's nothing outside Photoshop???   The only things outside Photoshop are the OS, and the hardware on which it's running.  I've experienced this bug twice this year—and the ONLY commonalities between those experiences were my logic board, and my monitor.  Almost every other piece of the hardware setup is different, from the hard drives, to the brand and model of the video card(s), to the mouse and keyboard, to the operating system itself, to the version of CS5, to the plugins installed (or removed)... etc.

That leaves one logical source as the bug—Photoshop CS5.  If I'm wrong—great!  Tell me what part of my system to remove or change and I'll do it right away so that this mysterious entity will cease to cause this behavior in Photoshop.  Please—tell me what to change.  At this point, I'm even willing to consider buying a new computer—even though I don't need one.  The only thing stopping me is the fear (for good reason) that if I went to the Apple Store today and brought home a new machine, Photoshop would exhibit the exact same behavior.

What options do I have left?  I've tested, exhausted all my troubleshooting know-how, reported every detail I could, been respectful, been mean and angry, asked for help, done more troubleshooting...  What's left—a refund?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also jellysquare, yes, I have a Wacom tablet, but I've experienced this issue on a clean system with nothing plugged in and no Wacom software installed.  This issue has to be on OS X, in the Photoshop application, or perhaps in the specific Photoshop files (e.g. PSD).

What types of files do you experience this issue with?  As I explained above, I use layers-heavy, styles-heavy documents a lot of the time–and those are the files that tend to cause (or reveal) this bug the most.  Unfortunately, those are the ones I'm working with now.  Do you also use multi-layer files?  Lots of groupings?  What is your hardware like?  What type of Mac, what tyep of hard drives, how much RAM, etc?

Again—I don't think it can possibly be any other software aside from the OS or PS, so it doesn't make sense to focus in those areas unless someone can tell us why that might make sense...  I don't think the hardware will end up being relevant, but I ask just in case there's something to learn from your setup.

-J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jason,

point taken and well stated.

Thanks for the time you spent trying to figure this problem out.

I haven't done a lot of heavy photoshop work on any other computers so I haven't seen the bug in any other configuration. I also work on very large (last file was 3.2GB!) and multi-layered (last file had probably over 200 layers) files and also lots of groups and sub-groups etc. And now that you mention it, I think it seems to happen more with those files.

My Mac is about maxed out with 2 SSD RAID and 24GB RAM.

It's driving me mad sometimes. Not sure what else to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, well this is the first bit of encouraging information I've received in a long time, since it bolsters the exact theory I've developed.  I was already 95% certain that the bug is related to LAYERS—possibly the number of them; possibly their arrangement; possibly their properties (e.g. effects, blending modes, etc.).

As I explained in one of my other posts in this thread—I did a great deal of testing this week and concluded that layer styles was likely the culprit.  As I type this now, I just realized that the Adobe moderator who removed part of my last post as "abusive" just so happened to remove the last line of my post, in which I said (paraphrasing...) "I spent my entire weekend doing this, and for heaven's sake, I even got so far as to tell you the exact area that I identified as the likely culprit—LAYER STYLES."

To the Adobe moderator who removed that statement (whoever you might be...):  Was that part deemed "abusive" or was it deemed "non-helpful?"  I'm curious about that, because it was probably the most important line of the entire, months-long thread.  Perhaps it was a total coincidence—but if so, wow, it seems like a particularly unfortunate one, given how precisely it aligns with my earlier statements about feeling intentionally mislead and like like there's an active attempt to diminish, deny, distract from, and dismiss the reports of this bug.

So far, here are the troubling facts regarding Adobe's response:

1. long-standing reports of a specific and reproducable bug, consistency among those reporting it (not all in this thread);
  2. confident assertions from Adobe (Chris Cox) that the issue is caused "outside" Photoshop—but without specific rationale or evidence to support that statement other than noting that sometimes, 3rd party drivers and other external factors can cause issues;
  3. thoroughly-detailed reports about the bug which paint an increasingly-clear and ever-narrower picture of its likely source(s)—with the clearest possibility by far being Photoshop CS5;
  4. unusual assertions from Adobe (Chris Cox) which falsely assert that my reports had done little to narrow down or eliminate possible causes—despite the clear, detailed objective analysis they contained (which eliminated a lot of usual- and potential-suspects);
  5. additional unusual statements from Adobe (Chris Cox), which inexplicably fail to even acknowledge the basic facts of the matter that have been reported—and instead, suggest a potential cause which has already been disproven by those facts;
  6. removal (/"censoring," depending on your view) by an anonymous Adobe moderator of statements I made expressing shock and disbelief that a lead developer of Photoshop would so grossly mischaracterize the reports of this bug that I had gone to such lengths to troubleshoot and detail in this post.  My language may have been pointed and harsh, but it was language which was appropriate to the situation, in my view.  I wondered aloud if he had read any of the facts that I had reported, and/or if he was attempting to cover something up.  I no longer am wondering—I'm asserting that it must be one or the other (or both).  I welcome any facts or statements that refute my assertion, and will gladly retract it (with an apology) if appropriate.  I stand by my previous statements to the letter.
So, putting aside the above behavior, which has nothing to do with solving the bug other than compounding this terrible situation...
your post, jellysquare, has lead us to a greater realization about this bug, based on our mutual experience.  The two commonalities that I see right now are as follows:
  • we both use lots of layers
  • we both appear to also use lots of groups as a result of organizing our layers.

I tend to max out in file size ~1 GB, so I'm less inclined to believe that our issue is related to file size, although it could be.  As I mentioned, I also use lots of layer styles, and a fair amount of layer masks in my files.  One other detail which may be of interest is that I also make heavy use of the layer color feature in the layers panel.  I often color-code my layers and layer groups so it's easier to understand the structure, etc.  Frankly, I don't see much reason to speculate on other commonalities unless/until there is more evidence to support that path.  In the meantime, jellysquare—I'd be happy to send you a file or two to test out, to see if it helps illuminate any additional insight.  We seem to have very similar situations—right down to identical amounts of RAM.  I'll list my basic specs below, in case it's relevant.  Again—I use lots of plug-ins and other bells & whistles (WACOM tablet, etc.) but as I've proven above, this bug is unrelated to any software (including plug-ins and drivers) that isn't CS5.x or OS X (Snow Leopard or Lion).  As for hardware, the list of possibilities on my end is very small—the logic board, or one of my displays (video cards, hard drives, peripherals have all been eliminated, and RAM has been tested and verified).

To Adobe—I say this:  I am more than willing to continue working with developers to find a solution to this problem.  I have already contributed a great deal in terms of man-hours, information (reporting my troubleshooting) and sacrifice (losing wages and most likely, my most treasured client).  I will not be dismissed or discouraged from continuing to pursue the resolution of this matter.  My livlihood is greatly affected by the outcome of this situation, and I've already lost a lot as a result of it.  Please do the right things without further delay: 1) acknowledge the bug, 2) review the information that I and others have dutifully relayed to you (above), 3) commit to resolving this bug, and 4) resolve it in a timely manner.

-Jason

Mac Pro 3,1 (early, 2008); 8-core 2.8Ghz; 30" ACD + 23" ACD"; ATI 5770 and 4870 (although tested with other configs, including NVIDIA 8800GT);  24.0 GB of RAM (though tested with other configurations as well);  OS X Lion (and Snow Leopard); CS5 and CS5.5; Apple Bluetooth Mighty Mouse (although tested with wired non-Apple mouse too); Apple wireless and wired keyboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, some of that I can answer.

An admin/moderator called me at home, on a holiday weekend, to ask about the language in your post and whether they should remove the foul language and abusive ranting, or simply remove the entire post and flag you for TOS violations.  I asked that only the abusive parts be removed.

But your continued accusations are not helping your case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris—I'm sincerely sorry that you were called at home on a holiday weekend about my post.  Sincerely.  I'm sorry.  That shouldn't have happened, and I apologize for that.

I do ask that you also understand that I spent my entire weekend trouble-shooting this issue—which is now several months old—while waiting for an answer or at least a respectful and helpful response of some sort.  Here we are with another week down the tubes and still have yet to receive some sort of expression of an Adobe employee taking my case seriously.  I don't know if you—or anyone else—is investigating this.  As best I can tell, you are not—and I base that on the series of confusing (and in some cases, patently false) assertions that you made regarding the facts of this matter—including confidently promoting the notion that this is not a problem with Photoshop CS5 (which it clearly is), and the notion that I hadn't done anything to narrow down the list of possible causes—which I clearly have.  If you disagree, as you claim to, with either of those statements—then the very least you (or someone at Adobe) can do is to take ten minutes out of your schedule to draft a proper, logical and honest assesment of why you have come to those conclusions.  I don't think that's asking too much at all.  In fact, it's very disappointing that I've had to expend as much effort as I have to deal with this issue—and I still don't have an official, "right on, we're working on it," from you guys.

If you want to make a case that it was abusive of me to telling you that Layer Styles was likely the cause of this issue—go right ahead.  I admit that my entire statement was a bit "hot," but you have yet to even acknowledge the validity of my concern—much less the tremendous effort I've undertaken at my own personal expense (and at your/Adobe's benefit) to contribute to the resolution of this problem... or the real-world dollars and opportunity cost to my creative reputation.  Do you have many other users who go to these lengths when identifying bugs?  I doubt it.  As I've told you in another thread—if you've heard from me, it's only after I've already expended significant effort trying to solve the problem on my own.  I don't whine about stuff and ask other people to fix it, if I can fix it myself.  But I can't.  I'm not a programmer, and I don't know how to run any diagnostics on my own—although trust me—I've tried.  I've tried Xcode, and learning Applescript to see if I could craft my own workaround or identify the issue with even greater clarity.  But I don't know either of those technologies, and it's not work that I should be doing anyway.  There is a reason that a CS5 Design Master license costs upwards of $2,500, right?  I've gotten much more attentive and respectful response from free apps than I've gotten from Adobe over this issue.  What is that license for, if not for respectful customer service?

I have never received a paycheck from Adobe, Chris.  I receive (small) paychecks when I get my work done—which I have not been able to do for over a week now... and this is not the first time that has happened as a result of this bug.  And the week before this reappeared, I spent a significant amount of time testing out CS6 and taking notes to share with you and your development team—for no other reason that that I know this program inside and out (or at least large portions of it), and want to contribute to it in any way I can.  So yeah... I was angry.  Truthfully—I still am.  My paycheck isn't even the reason I do what I do.  I do what I do because it fulfills me on an emotional and spiritual level—which I stated in my very first post back in April.  Suffice to say—I feel spiritually and emotionally drained right now.  I'm just so incredibly exhausted, having spent the last couple hours nearly driven to tears by the combination of a fulll week of never-ending frustration, the loss of an important client and my favorite project, and what seems to be a total disregard for my case by you and whomever else from Adobe has read these posts without taking action to begin bringing about resolution.

Again—if you have a case to make, then make it.  Thus far, you've said a few things which made it seem like either a) you haven't even read the top-line details of my detailed reports, or b) that you are determined to squash me—not the bug.  I've explained why I've come to those conclusions very clearly.  Your assertion that I hadn't narrowed anything down is so demonstrably false that I consider that to be an abusive statement.  Your mention of Wacom drivers and third-party-related possibilities right after I'd spent about an hour composing a post (following up on a couple of days worth of volunteer trouble-shooting) detailing to the nth degree why it absolutely could not be either one of those things is totally perplexing, to the point where it make so little sense that someone of your presumed intelligence (i.e. a big-shot developer for one of the worlds most well-known applications) could actually respond that way after reading any part of what I'd just wrote.  It makes no sense.  Either you didn't read it, or you did read it, and you had a reason for making a statement that you knew wasn't in line with the facts of the matter.  I don't know which one it is, but it's one of those things, unless I'm totally missing something.

You have offered a few terse responses to my very detailed reports—and in the few short sentences that you've wrote, you've made many statements that have no effect on pushing the issue forward or getting it closer to resolution.  I don't want it to be a personal issue—but I don't feel like I made it personal until you did.  Yes, my statments were direct and pointed—but at least they've been transparent, articulate and well-explained.  You continue to speak about things like my continued accusations, your weekend, the TOS of the forum, and all sort of things that only exacerbate an already-painful, already-costly issue.  I've told you that I am determined to get resolution on this issue—and I am serious.  I will not accept blanket dismissals, and I will not be intimidated into backing down from my demand for a resolution.  I have helped you get as far as I can get on my own, and I am willing to continue to help in any way I can.

I quit a very high-paying job 4 years ago to pursue a career as a designer.  I make next to nothing now, but I feel fullfilled because of the creative process.  This bug has prevented me from all fulfillment.  It has strained my personal and professional relationships, and has taken a heavy emotional toll on me.  Please step up and make an effort to get it resolved—or at least assign someone else to solve it.  I can provide whatever you need from my end—and again, I'm sorry for your phone call this weekend.

-Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2011 Sep 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jason, is it a particular layer/layer style, or any one on that file What if you copy-paste the layer to another file?

Could you send me a link to that file? ( a dropbox link through private message?)

I'm not an Adobe employee, but I could try to see if I can reproduce the issue on my machine, and maybe forward the file to Chris, if I experience the bug.

It seems that you have taken more than extensive troubleshooting steps. Thanks for caring.

You know, Chris receives/reads many, many bug reports, makes sites visits, etc. So, if he tells that the issue is not widespread, he is not lying, he has a different perspective. And trust me, he cares, too. Might be that he has seen too many false positives.

Keep in mind that text is not the best way to express ourselves, and Chris posts here on his spare /compile times.

So making posts more concise (or with a Bottom Line Up Front) might help you getting help from him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This caught my eye because it is happening to me as well - with some differences. It also happens in InDesign and Illustrator. The behavior feels like my Wacom pen is still engaged until I lift it considerably (about an inch) off the tablet.

Mac:

2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

24 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

Wacom:

9" x 12" Intuos 2

Control Panel and Driver Version: 6.1.6-4

Let's hope we discover a resolution.

pbc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator do not share code.

If the problem is common between those apps, then the cause is almost certainly outside of the apps (possibly OS, driver, or other apps).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My gut feeling is that it's the Wacom driver, just haven't had time to

really check it out. It can't just be Photoshop like the OP states, at least

in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2011 Sep 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers, man... Points well-taken, and thanks for the note.  I know Chris has probably been at this a long long time, so I can easily understand a natural aversion to situations that could lead to "false positives."  I will see if I can get a couple example files uploaded tonight and send you some links.  Coincidentally, I'm leaving town tomorrow and will have access to a relatively new iMac for a few days... so I'm planning on testing some things out while I have the opportunity.  My hypothesis is that I will have the same issues that I do now with these types of files (i.e. those with moderate pixel dimensions, but dozens of layers and layer groups).  I think the iMac may only have 4 GB of memory, (vs 24 on my current machine), so I may notice decreased responsiveness either way.  I'll report back on what I find.

(Keep in mind, I have almost no programming knowledge, so please feel free to discard this if it's worthless speculation.  Also—for me, this issue is almost always related turning the "eye" icon on or off, to make layers/groups visible or invisible... so that's my frame of reference.)

... my observations make me think that the mouse-up event or process (not even sure what terms to use) is designed to occur only after some other event(s) conclude(s). ...and that whatever normally triggers the mouse-up event is somehow bypassing it instead.  I base this all on observing how this bug plays out in various situations.

• usually, the mouse-up eventually occurs on its own after a delay (ranging from "almost no delay," to "I've never seen something so slow on a non-crashing application.")  In this cases, it seems like the mouse-up is waiting for something else to finish or occur, and then triggers.
  • sometimes, the mouse-up never arrives (i.e. you can leave the room, come back an hour later, and it will still be stuck in the mouse-down state).  These are the cases which make it seem like the thing that handles the mouse-up "missed the sign," and so it's in a down state (presumably forever, unless you add some variables to unstick it.  e.g. click-click-clicking all around or doing a rapid series of double- triple- quadruple- (etc.) clicks seems to release it.
  • occasionally, something less-common will transpire—something that appears not to center around interaction with the layers panel.  For example, onece or twice (recently) I had a PS window get "stuck" for a few seconds—and it was obviously related to whateveer is causing things to get "stuck" as you turn things on and off in the layers pannel.  Like the typical behavior of this bug, my sense was that the same rules applied here—do nothing, and it may unstick, but actually may not... click around a bunch and see if you can jar it loose, etc

If my line of thought above has any merit, the focus would naturally move towards identifying what types of things are leading to situations where the the authority over the mouse-up is either delaying or withholding the go-ahead.  The obvious choices (again—in my own little pseudo-hypothesis here) would seem to involve screen redrawing, and maybe some other type of change to the GUI (e.g. the "eye" icon dis/appearing, the movement of items within the layers panel, etc.)  The screen-redrawing thing seems potentially relevant since it can involve a lot of resources (presumably) which could involve withholding resources from other parts of the program (presumably, in my non-programmer mind, anyway).

I think I first noticed this bug when I clicked-and-held on a layer's "eye" icon and dragged downwards over several other layers' eye icons in order to (ostensibly) hide those in the same step.  Instead of all of them turning off, the first couple turned off, and the rest stayed on—even though the mouse passed over them directly before I released the mouse button.  Somewhere between my click and my eventual release, that event/process (or series of event/processes) was perhaps interrupted or stopped or whatever... it didn't seem to continue or complete.  This example is one that recurrs a lot for me in regular use.  Recently, I've noticed the following: that even though I clicked, dragged over a series of icons and then released, the mouse is still in the "down" state... and because of that, without pressing the mouse down again, I can simply pass the cursor over the icons that didn't turn off the first time.  So essentially, this is the strongest link of a behavior to my theory above.  The first time the mouse passes over those layer visibiltiy icons, some of them don't receive the instructions to "turn invisible"... yet, after a delay, you can pass the mouse (now in a physical "up" state) back over them and they'll turn off/invisible.

Anwyay... hopefully there's some little detail there that sets of a lightbulb for someone...  Thanks for the interest!

-J

P.S.  Re: the WACOM issues—the first things I generally looked to when this started happening were my WACOM tablet and my 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator.  The issue I'm having isn't related to those issues, but it's good to point them out anyway... they're definitely worth eliminating when trouble-shooting (which I did).

P.S.  This issue only happens for me in Photoshop (CS5.x-only).  I use Illustrator (CS5) very heavily as well, and have never had problems.  I don't use InDesign, or any other Adobe apps much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, I'm at a loss to explain what Jason is seeing.  I'd probably have to examine the macine to find out other possible causes.

But maybe someone else has more ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this behaviour in a number of different applications and I am absolutely certain that it is caused by the Wacom Drivers.

The proximity sensitivity has become too sensitive and I find that my stylus needs to be about an inch above the tablet for it to become disengaged. Changing the pressure to "Firm" seems to help somewhat. (I have trashed and re-installed the Wacom driver but it hasn't helped.)

My tablet is very old (an Intuos GT) and there doesn't seem to be a recently updated Driver for it. The problem is irritating but as I am not in the mood to buy a new Wacom tablet right now, I have just been putting up with the annoyance!

--------

Running CS 5.5 on OSX 10.6.7 on a MacPro (2 x 2.4 Quad-core Intel Xenon).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found this on the Wacom site:

• Why does my pen always act like I'm clicking?

• Remove the nib from the end of your pen.  It can be removed by gripping with either a pair of tweezers or the nib extraction tool that may have come with your tablet.  While gripping the nib you can then pull it out of the end of the pen.
  • Leave the nib out of the pen overnight with the pen resting on its side.  This will give the pressure switch a chance to recover.
  • Replace the nib gently into the end of the pen and test it. If the problem remains, call our Customer Care center for assistance at 1-800-922-6613. Diagnostics and warranty status determination will be done during the call.

============

This isn't the exact problem I was having but seemed connected. I have a spare Wacom pen and this morning I tried one of my reproducible bugs: resizing a window with a large InDesign file. Seemed to work just fine with the new pen. We shall see.

pbc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I will try removal of the nib tonight!

--------

I have just changed the nib and the problem is fixed.

The old nib had lost about 1/32" of its original length and may have been pushed back onto the click contact in the pen as well.

Why on earth didn't it occur to me that there might be a connection between the fact that the tablet is old and the nib might be worn-out?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2011 Sep 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damaged fonts can cause various problems in Photoshop, some of which  don't appear to be font-related. The following solutions are listed in  order of easiest, and most likely to locate the damaged font, to more  challenging or time consuming.

For me deslecting Font Preview Size solution worked. To do this goto (Mac) Photoshop/Preference/Type and deselect the Font Preview Size.

Click on the below link to see more solutions.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/843/cpsid_84363.html

Hope this is any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines