• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Causes Monitor to Brighten Significantly, Adds Blue Shift

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a strange thing happen with the most recent version of Photoshop the last few days.

As soon as I click on the icon to start PS, the entire monitor screen brightens significantly. It also shifts significantly to the blue, cooling the photos. Once I exit PS, my monitor brightness returns to zero.

I should stress, this increase in the brightness and cooling affects all problems, not just PS, for as long as PS remains running.

I use a calibrated monitor. This strange PS behavior means I can't edit while PS is running. The results are too bright and too blue.

I'm running Windows 10 with 16GB of RAM and an SSD as primary drive and mechanical hard drive as the secondary drive.

Cheers,

Mitch

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a calibrated monitor.

By @glennm33209809

Calibrated how and with what calibrator?

Does this affect the entire interface, or is it limited to image/histogram/color picker? If the former, it's a bad video driver, if the latter, a bad monitor profile.

Do you have screenshots that could illustrate? (don't attach, insert image directly into the post).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It brightens the monitor for every app, as long as PS 2021 is running. Exit PS 2021 and everything returns to normal. It is clearly something that PS is triggering, since it does not happen with any other software.No PS.pngWith PS.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I is clearly just brightening the monitor, not altering any pixel values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images appear identical (save cursor position etc.) so what are they intended to demonstrate? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was asked to provide sample screen shots before and after entering Photoshop.

I realize they look similar. They are not identical, in the sense that they are two separate screen captures.

I find it curious that only Photoshop exhibits this behavior. Noting else in Adobe CC does this. No LR, Not LrC. Not InDesign. Etc.

It's very madenning, because Photoshop affects the monitor for every running app. Enter Photoshop and the monitor immediately brightens. For everything. Exit Photoshop. The monitor returns to normal.

I'm wondering if Greg Benz's Lumenzia 9 is the culprit. I let it optimize my Photoshop experience. I know, for B&W, it set the gamma for its own preferred setting.

That's what appear to be happening, like Photoshop is altering the gamma fpr my monitor and restoring it on exit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I misspoke. The same thing happens with Illustrator and InDesign. Not with LR, LrC, and Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have multiple screens? Multiple GPUs? 

What happens if you change the monitor profile (just for testing) to sRGB? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my ICC monitor profile set to use a D65 white point and illuminant of 160 cd/m3. Standard tone response curve. Gamma 2.2. I use i1Profiler from Xrite to calibrate my monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your description, it sounds like the calibration tables are thrown out from the video card. This is stored inside the profile for convenience, but is actually not part of the profile as such (which is a standard icc profile).

As for why this happens when Photoshop is open, that's a mystery and something I have never heard about before.

But there is still a pattern of some kind here. The recent 22.3 update seems to be problematic in several ways, and most of the reported problems seem associated with the GPU/video card/driver. So that could be a link.

In short: Try to revert to 22.2, and see if this particular problem goes away. If it does, it should be reported as a bona fide bug on the feedback site. To revert, open the CC desktop app, uninstall PS and reinstall.

When you reinstall, click the three dots to get "other versions", and pick 22.2. (I had to do that because of a different bug in 22.3).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If @D Fosse has never heard of something like this it might be worth posting a Report over on 

Photoshop Family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to my PC as well.  I use Spyder 5 to calibrate my monitor. Perhaps doing another calibration on the monitor after Photoshop opens and saving the new profile would help, that way, you could select between calibration profiles as needed.  I would give this a try myself but I am getting a new computer in a couple of days - so I will waity and see how that works out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not how this works. You can't arbitrarily "select" a monitor profile.

The profile needs to be an accurate description of the monitor in its actual and current state. There is only one correct profile. All others are wrong. If Photoshop doesn't display correctly, the monitor profile is incorrect/defective, and you need to make a new one.

Also, there's no such thing as "calibration profile" You seem to mix up monitor profile and calibration. Those are two different things, serving different purposes. The monitor profile describes the monitor in its calibrated state. The profile is written after the calibration is finished.

Calibration alters the monitor's behavior globally, but is usually fairly low precision. The monitor profile doesn't do anything. It's just a map, but it's much higher precision. The correction is done by the application, using the monitor profile in a standard profile conversion, from the document profile, into the monitor profile, on the fly.

That's how it works, and knowing that makes troubleshooting much easier.

In third-party calibrators, the calibration is done in the video card and loaded into the GPU. The Spyder, for instance, does that. This can sometimes fail, and this will alter appearances of everything, all applications. It sounds like this is what's happening here.

In dedicated calibrators for high-end displays (Eizo, NEC), the calibration is done directly to the monitor's own internal processor. This is much more optimal for a lot of reasons, has a lot more options, and is usually much less error-prone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the explanation. It is very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to explain it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the Spyder makes its monitor profile it makes no difference whether Photoshop is running or now.

The process makes a calibration first and that’s loaded into the video card (an LUT) to get the display as close to the target values you chose in the software - THEN the calibrated monitor is profiled, the monitor profile simply describes the monitor's characteristics, some call ICC profiles "characterisation" profiles. 

So the calibration does change the monitor's appearance somewhat, then the profile describes it so that applications like Photoshop can adjust data sent to the screen to obtain accurate image viewing.

If you don't get good results from the Spyder software you may like to try this (free 14 days demo)

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This happens to my PC as well.  I use Spyder 5 to calibrate my monitor. Perhaps doing another calibration on the monitor after Photoshop opens and saving the new profile would help, that way, you could select between calibration profiles as needed.  I would give this a try myself but I am getting a new computer in a couple of days - so I will waity and see how that works out. 

By @ScottAlan53

Check the Spyder software and if there's an option for creating V4 (version 4) profiles, don't use that. Make V2 profiles. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines