Photoshop CC 20.0.6 crashes too often when using brushes

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I've updated from photoshop cs6 to cc2019 since one week. The performance is quite frustrating for me. It keeps crashing when I use some brushes "a little bit sophisticated" which worked perfectly in old version. They lag a bit too. I make illustrations so can't work without these brushes. Is my computer too old to support the CC2019?

I'm on windows 10 pro, using Wacom Intuos 4, latest driver.

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz

RAM 16GM

As attached the photoshop system info.

------------------------update 2019-10-03--------------------------

I've tested the version 19 and the latest 20.0.6. It's quite the same problem. When I work on a large file, like A3 @600ppi, the brushes lag as hell. But the brushes work fine on a A4 @300ppi. I can see the CPU use 100% of its capacity, but the graphic card just a little. 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop CC 20.0.6 crashes too often when using brushes

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I've updated from photoshop cs6 to cc2019 since one week. The performance is quite frustrating for me. It keeps crashing when I use some brushes "a little bit sophisticated" which worked perfectly in old version. They lag a bit too. I make illustrations so can't work without these brushes. Is my computer too old to support the CC2019?

I'm on windows 10 pro, using Wacom Intuos 4, latest driver.

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz

RAM 16GM

As attached the photoshop system info.

------------------------update 2019-10-03--------------------------

I've tested the version 19 and the latest 20.0.6. It's quite the same problem. When I work on a large file, like A3 @600ppi, the brushes lag as hell. But the brushes work fine on a A4 @300ppi. I can see the CPU use 100% of its capacity, but the graphic card just a little. 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 26, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
The only thing I see in your system info is that your graphics driver is old (2017). It may be worth checking with  Intel if there is a newer driver.
In the meantime - do you get an error message with the crash?

What does Windows reliability monitor say about the crash event? In Windows 10 - type "reliability" into the Windows searchbar and choose reliability history. Find any critical event coinciding with your crash and click on it for details

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. The graphics driver is old, but the latest already. When it crashes, there is no error message, just freezing. I have to turn it down by using task manager. There are no incidents with windows reliability either.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Photoshop is crashing unexpectedly when you use your brushes for painting. That shouldn't be happening, let us make it right.

1) Please uncheck the option "use graphics processor" under the Preferences> Performance menu in Photoshop and see it the issue persists.

2) If the above does not help, restore Photoshop app preferences to default and let us know if the issue still persists?

Please refer this article for instructions on how to restore Photoshop preferences: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#AdjustpreferencesinPhotoshop

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the preferences reset, it seems to work fine. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. Glad that I was able to help. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the problem of crash doesn't go away. I reset the preferences, with or without "use graphics processor" checked, also tried different memory usage, cache levels, history states, etc. But when I use some of brushes, it keeps crashing randomly. They worked fine in CS6 though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue with every tool that uses brush tips. it crashes on big files when brushing. now testing without graphic processor. ( i have multiple gpus which caused some problems too - photoshop would need a better GPU support i guess)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. The older version was just fine, I've tried all the steps above and nothing worked out, honestly that's the worst CC update in ages, terrible user experience.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey franklin,

the only thing that worked for me is to turn off the use of the GPU.

Which is a pitty - I think the problem on my side is the multi GPU system i use.

Photoshop can not handel it. which is the stupidest thing ever ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jan, using which version of Photoshop ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2020 0
Jan.usch LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am now on the latest.

but this happened for me the last 1-2 years.

Also set only one card for photoshop in the geforce control panel. nothing worked.

This is quite frustrating when you have top tier cards and can not use them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2020 0