Photoshop CC 2017 - Error - "Can't write new document presets file." on close, files won't open

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've just updated to Photoshop CC 2017 and it's now not saving preferences, and won't open documents.

On closing, I get the dialog error "Can't write new document presets file."

I've tried resetting preferences, which hasn't worked. Is there a solution to this please?

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

Please refer this similar thread and let us know if that helps.Can't write documents Presets file error

Regards,

Akash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop CC 2017 - Error - "Can't write new document presets file." on close, files won't open

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've just updated to Photoshop CC 2017 and it's now not saving preferences, and won't open documents.

On closing, I get the dialog error "Can't write new document presets file."

I've tried resetting preferences, which hasn't worked. Is there a solution to this please?

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

Please refer this similar thread and let us know if that helps.Can't write documents Presets file error

Regards,

Akash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 08, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Regards,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2016 0
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Akash, that worked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2016 1
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash,

I too am having the same error but in Photoshop CC 2020...

The link you provided seems to be dead now.

Could you possibly send me a new link or the instructions that you had kindly provided to David?

Many thanks!

Nuwan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Akash,

I  am having the same error as Dave but in Photoshop CC 2020...

The link you provided is dead now.

Could you possibly referesh the  link or please give instructions to fix it?

Thank you

Another Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dears,

I was able to solve this problem.

Go to c:\users\"your user"\appdata\roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings\

you will find there a file called Adobe Photoshop 2020 prefs.psp

Just change its extension to make sure Photoshop doesn't find it on startup, it will create a new preferences file and you will be all set.

Note that this will reset all your preferences on photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow..Awesome!!!

It worked with Photoshop 2020. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AhmedSeifCherif, please can you tell me what to change the extension to?  Thanks in advance.

Jo

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi how do you change the extension it is not obvious.

Kind Regards

Ray

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ahmed Seif Cherif,

What should I change the extension file name to?  I tried changing it to .txt but the pop up still persists.  Is there a specific file name you can suggest?  Thank you. Alicia 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Abassib,

Can you please tell me what file extension name you used to change the "Adove Photoshop 2020 prefs.psp" to?  I tried changing .psp to .txt but the annoying popup is still there.  Can you please share with us what you changed it to?  Thank you! Alicia

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2020 0