• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2017 ***lagging*** when Text Layers are added or present!

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Crazy lagging when text layers are added or present in CC 2017. 

Anyone else have this issue?  It's insane.  The software is unusable.  CC 2015.5 works fine.  I'm on WIN 10, all settings same in both versions.

Just going to the Text tool with NOTHING open lags the system...unbearable.  Anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam, tried to message you but that function on your profile doesn't work...

Hey Adam, Just renewed my CC subscription and trashed lots of old Photoshops to go with 2017. It's so laggy I can' get anything done. It seems either tied to fonts or the CC libraries which I don't use. I tried a screenshare with a support agent but they were not able to fix. Saw a forum where you are offering to help. Do I just go back to 2015 and pinch my nose for paying for 2017 technology? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can you confirm that you're using the latest release of Photoshop CC 2017 (go to Photoshop Help > System Info and the first line should have the exact build number - you can post that here).  The text performance issues should be resolved in that build.  If not, please let me know.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam,

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2017.1.0 20170309.r.207 2017/03/09:23:00:00 CL 1107877  x64

When I hit Updates or check my Creative Cloud panel there are no updates.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam, been a few days. Any update? 2017 still super laggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sties Design,

The fix is in the 2017 release, but it sounds like you might have a corrupted font cache.  I would recommend clearing both the OS and Adobe's cache.  The easy way to do this is just to trash your preferences on launch.  Alternatively, you can run through the steps here: Troubleshoot fonts issues in Adobe Photoshop CC, 2015, 2014, CS6, CS5.​  That should solve the issue you're seeing.  If not, ping me here and I'll help troubleshoot further.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've actually cleared my font caches before and run the Font Test Script. When that didn't help I contacted Adobe chat support and they advised me to leave font previews off. That did seem to help but I explained I need my font previews!

Just cleared font cache again and ran Font Test Script again. No fonts failed.

Pshop is still laggy taking about 2-5 seconds to react to any mouse click or change of focus. It is especially bad if I try to enter the font dialog box and change fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, just as a test the only change I made after clearing font cache and running the font test script was to turn my font previews off. With them off Pshop is much more responsive / fast. Ideas? It's super important to me as a designer to be able to see font previews. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Sties,

Okay, a couple of new questions for you.  How many fonts do you have installed on your system?  Are they from reputable font foundries?  If toggle the preview has an effect, it does sound like an issue with the cache or a specific font.  Have you added any new fonts recently?  Are you using any third party font management.  Also, which text engine are you using -- East Asian or Middle Eastern?  You can check under Preferences > Type.  And just to confirm, you cleared BOTH font caches, right?  Do you have any unusual plugins installed?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, cleared both caches.

Like most designers, yes, I've added fonts recently. It's what keeps designs fresh.

No 3rd party font management.

East Asian. Guessing that's default. Never have changed that setting.

I do have a Topaz Adjust plugin installed, but I don't see it in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Plug-ins to try and remove it. Not sure where that is loading from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is DEFINITELY a font issue. Did all the troubleshooting and starting Photoshop with SHIFT to disable plugins. Today it was actually worse than ever, sometimes a full 30-60 seconds for the mouse to respond when doing anything with type.

Tried CC 2014 and it has same issues.

Eliminated lots of fonts, didn't help. The font test indicates no errors.

Basically I'm dead in the water as far as Photoshop which is a major issue for workflow. Apparently this latest 2017 update isn't a fix for us. Now what?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Sties,

Well, I'm not positive of the cause, but I suspect two things.

First, I recall reading on the forums that other users have reported problems with the Topaz plugin.  So, I'd try removing that first, clearing both font caches, and trying again.  Whatever you do, do NOT skip clearing both font caches or you won't actually be testing the suggestion.

The second thing I would suspect, if the previous step fails, then it sounds like you have one (or more) fonts that are corrupting your font cache.  I would first dump any font that didn't come from a reputable foundry, clear both font caches, and try again.  Assuming that fixes you back up, you can add back groups of fonts until the problem returns -- generally with fonts you buy the trouble that you pay for, meaning free fonts often have other costly issues.  If that doesn't fix things, then one of your fonts could have gone bad.  The easiest thing to do would be a binary search -- I know this is tedious, but there's no good way around it, though I doubt this is your issue.

Hope that helps -- I'd be very curious about your results,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David thanks for your ideas.

TOPAZ

From previous... "I do have a Topaz Adjust plugin installed, but I don't see it in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Plug-ins to try and remove it. Not sure where that is loading from." Any idea where I can remove it? I will say I have started Photoshop CC 2017 with SHIFT down to disable plugins and it has not helped.

CS6

If I have a corrupt font, why does CS6 work so much faster? Would a corrupt font cause my system fan to kick in and slow everything down? That is what happens with CC 2017. To me that seems like the program is sucking up resources due to a bug.

TRIAL & ERROR

What is the best way to remove all fonts for testing without removing fonts needed by Windows, Adobe and other programs? Flashvenom indicates below "This is effectively a brand new install of the OS. Only fonts are those synced with creative cloud." That could means hours of trial and error for nothing if that is the case and it is a program error.

Also, why wouldn't the font test Adobe provides tell me if there is a font problem? I've run it a few times and no font fails. That seems like a much more efficient way to identify a font problem. If your test says there is no problem, wouldn't that mean it is a program issue?

Thanks for sticking with us. I've used Photoshop for 24 years with fonts from all sorts of foundries and personal makers and never had an issue before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Sties Design,

I don't know much about Topaz, but the fact that it's not showing up in the default location is, uh, troublesome at least.

CS6 didn't have a number of text improvements that later versions have.  But I have to ask -- are you sure that you've upgraded to the latest version?  There WAS a bug with some TT fonts and stylistic alternates which caused a lag, but the latest version has the fix.

Fonts.  Ah, the boon and bane of my existence.  The sad truth is that a single malformed font can trash your system font cache, which then effectively trashes your PS font cache.  When you first use the Type tool, we actually run through the fonts to find anything bogus, but there's only so much error checking we can squeeze in there.  That, by the way, is why the first time you use type that it's sluggish.  Anyway, the script checks for obvious and major stuff but that certainly doesn't preclude other issues.  Oh, and in my *personal* experience, I find font issues tend to be worse on Mac than Windows these days.  If you're trying to do the trial-and-error method with your fonts, it's very important to trash both font caches each time you do, otherwise, you're not testing anything.

My recommendation would be to take out ALL of your non-standard fonts, regenerate your font caches, and see if the problem gets better for you.  That's one step to validate the problem -- trial-and-error would only come in as you add stuff back.  And, if you're still having issues, I'd be happy to do a web-hosted screen-share to help you get to the bottom of things.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing this issue. As a professional designer, I don't have a whole lot of time to troubleshoot Adobe's software - but I do know the UI is considerably slow. I actually downgraded to 2015 and still have the same issues. 1/2 to 2 second delays on most UI functions. Frustrating. I've read through tons of posts like this one - tried all the performance tweaks. Running as administrator definitely helps a lot, but then the "Save For the Web" gives a "Could not complete operation" error. Tried debugging that and went down another rabbit hole of deleting preferences which still didn't work/help. There does seem to be something up with the fonts - the font dropdown is unusably slow. Takes 4-5 seconds between each click, hover, change, etc in the font menus. But what REALLY kills me is just the general slowness. Everything is .5-1 second slower than 2015. I'm on a 7700k Kaby Lake OC 4.8ghz, 16GB dual channel 3000hz ram, 256 samsung EVO SSD, you get the idea. Just upgraded to windows 10 creator edition (enterprise) perhaps that has something to do with it... Was hoping 2015 was faster, but I'm almost ready to just use GIMP for my simple web stuff at this point... This is effectively a brand new install of the OS. Only fonts are those synced with creative cloud. Send help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for chiming in. That is one screaming computer. Now I don't feel as crazy about it being isolated to my machine.

We have considered bailing on Creative Cloud and going with Affinity. It's an option you could look into.

Affinity Photo - Professional image editing software  ($50, no subscription)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Nate,

If you're having trouble with fonts, try these quick trouble-shooting steps.

1) Turn off font previews -- does this help?  If so, then you may have a corrupted or bogus font

2) Trash your font caches.  You need to get both the system and Photoshop caches.  You can just trash your prefs or you can run through the steps here -- Troubleshoot fonts issues in Adobe Photoshop CC, 2015, 2014, CS6, CS5

3) Keep your installed fonts to around 200 to 300.  It depends on your system specs, but this seems to be a good number.

4) Make sure in Preferences > Type that you're not using the Middle Eastern and South Asian composer unless you need it.  It is more powerful in terms of layout and support, but the trade off is speed.

5) If none of those work, ping me and I'd be happy to help trouble-shoot the problem with you via a web-hosted screenshare.  Heck, if you're in the Bay Area, I can do a house-call.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ongoing issues with fonts. This has happened a few times as well.

I open a Pshop doc that notifies me I don't have a Typekit font synced, yet if I open my Creative Cloud app it shows I am syncing with TypeKit. That Missing Fonts dialogue box just spins forever. If I cancel out of it it won't let me use the TypeKit font but will force a substitution. This is definitely some sort of bug or issue.

Fonts.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David Mohr​ to add insult to injury not only does Creative Cloud say I am syncing fonts, when I sign into Typekit online it also indicates that font is synced. Well, once I get past the unresponsive script error!

Fonts2.jpg

I miss the good ole days of installing fonts and being able to use them! 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the trouble! It sounds like there's something else going on that Typekit support can troubleshoot with you directly.

First, try turning off font sync in the Creative Cloud application, wait a moment, and then turn it back on. The option to do this is under the gear icon in Preferences > Creative Cloud > Fonts ("Typekit on/off"). Any fonts you had previously selected for sync use should now sync automatically to the Fonts tab in the Creative Cloud application.

If that doesn't help:

- Are you using OS X or Windows? Which version?

- Please send that information plus a screenshot of the Assets > Fonts tab from the Creative Cloud application and the recent CoreSync files from your computer to support@typekit.com.

On OS X:

1. Open the Finder

2. under the Go menu, select "Go To Folder"

3. in the window that opens, type:  ~/Library/Logs/CreativeCloud/CoreSync/

On Windows:

1. Open Windows Explorer

2. The log folder is hidden by default, so make sure that hidden folders and files are visible. Under the Organize menu, select Preferences and then the View tab. Choose the "Show hidden files, folders, & drives." option, then click Apply to confirm the changes.

3. Go to C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Temp\CreativeCloud\CoreSync\

where "(username)" is the name of your user folder on your computer.

Attach the 3 or 4 most recent CoreSync-yyyy-MM-dd.log files to an email and send to support@typekit.com. Please don't send a zip file, as they often get flagged as spam.

Best regards,

Molly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Molly,

I am on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

When I turn on hidden items and go to User\AppData\Local\Temp\ there is no CreativeCloud subfolder. There is a CoreSync folder under Roaming. It has some files like...

85739bae735efa8f5c62bc9416ac0664.db and 85739bae735efa8f5c62bc9416ac0664.db-shm and 85739bae735efa8f5c62bc9416ac0664.db-wal. Is that what you're after?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Sties,

I recall hearing about an issue like this in the past.  As I recall, there was a communication problem between the apps.  Here's what I'd do if it were me (in growing order of pain in the butt):

1) make sure PS is updated to the latest

2) in CC, turn OFF font synching and close it.

3) make sure CC is updated to the latest and close it as well.

4) shutdown and relaunch the OS

NOTE: at this point, all communication between the two apps should be off

5) launch CC and wait a minute or two (in case there's something that didn't quite synch before)

6) turn font synching back on in CC

7) launch PS

Does it work now?  Try installing a NEW font, rather than one that "should" already be there (again, the list of fonts could be in an invalid state).

If that fails, I would repeat all of the above, but before #4, I'd trash my font caches (easy way is to trash your PS prefs or you can run through the steps here if you'd like to keep your prefs -- Troubleshoot fonts issues in Adobe Photoshop CC, 2015, 2014, CS6, CS5)​.  Did that work?

If that also fails, then I'd actually try uninstalling the CC app instead of just closing it in #3.  Similarly, I'd install a new version of the CC app for #5.

Honestly, if THAT doesn't work, we should talk, cuz something kinda crazy would have to be going on.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David Mohr​ Thanks as usual.

Yes, Pshop and CC are the latest.

I've tried toggling font sync in CC app. No results.

As far as shutting down CC app or Pshop or OS as a "solution" please understand when we're in the middle of projects with a bunch of assets open how much time and efficiency we waste jumping through those hopes. In this case closing all my open docs and restarting Pshop did the trick, but it's not really an acceptable solution.

Not sure how Proxima Extra Bold can be invalid when I am a Typekit member and the CC app and Typekit site say it is synced.

In this case I did not need to trash both font caches but I am continuing to do that with troubleshooting. This is a HUGE time and creativity drainer just to get Pshop and fonts to work.

I had already uninstalled and reinstalled CC2017 and CC2014 and both have had these font issues. Again, unsintalling and reinstalling apps is a productivity killer.

With the subscription model is it too much to expect this to "just work" ro at least work as good as pre CC app versions did?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Sties,

Sorry about that.  Trust me that these issues are not something we'd ever willingly ship.  We really do want it all "just to work" and many of us are passionate users of the app ourselves.

I did hear about a new, known bug when I discussed your issue this morning with the wider team.  There is a problem with TypeKit when you download a font that has multiple faces (regular, bold, italics, etc).  Only the first face actually appears/works in PS.  The work-around is to close PS and relaunch, so the fonts are re-enumerated.  Yes, NOT A FIX, just a WORKAROUND.  We're working on a permanent, out-of-the-box, don't-have-to-think-about-it solution.  And, I assure you, I'll push to have that put in the next release we do.

Hope that helps,

Have a nice weekend and a happy Mother's Day,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/David+Mohr  schrieb

Hi Sties Design,

The fix is in the 2017 release, but it sounds like you might have a corrupted font cache. 

yeah you bet the fix is not in the 2017 release.....

the fix will maybe come in CC 2018 when you finally fix the broken code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines