• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2017 ***lagging*** when Text Layers are added or present!

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Crazy lagging when text layers are added or present in CC 2017. 

Anyone else have this issue?  It's insane.  The software is unusable.  CC 2015.5 works fine.  I'm on WIN 10, all settings same in both versions.

Just going to the Text tool with NOTHING open lags the system...unbearable.  Anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tanja,

I understand that you feel the Type tool is less responsive now than in the past.  And there might be a bug there to address.  But at the same time, please be aware that the application is now doing QUITE A BIT MORE in the background, particularly communicating with servers over the web.  As a result, while other portions of Photoshop may be responsible for the slow down that you're seeing, you're noticing it when you use type.  Here are two quick tests you can do to validate this hypothesis.

First, turn off the Font Preview.  Was there any difference? 

Second, pull yourself COMPLETELY off the web.  Actually unplug your cable from the back of your machine and launch PS.  You'll need to wait a few minutes for everything to freak out / error out -- before that happens, I would actually expect performance to be worse as the various routines try to connect but fail.  Now try using text.  Was there any difference?

We did have type fixes that we put into 2017.  There are no such fixes for 2018, because as far as we know, the issue is resolved.  If you are still having problems, then we need to troubleshoot what is different with your setup compared to other users.  And, please note, since this thread started, we've actually had a number of complaints on other threads about Topaz triggering problems, so third-party plugins is a great first place to look.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I've already installed GIMP just to get my 1,000s of small things done fast. I move fast. It's why I'm paid the big bucks. Seconds count. Unfortunately, I'm pretty married to Adobe (for the moment! I was 'married' to Apple software too before they started messing up Logic/FinalCut) so I'd like to figure this out. I've recorded a video of the slowness. To an average user, this might seem insignificant, but I used Photoshop 2015.1 yesterday on a 2 year old i3 machine with 4GB of RAM, and it did NOT have any of these issues. You hit Ctrl-N, and before the key even goes up the dialog is ready for the next keystroke. In the video, you'll notice a few things, when I click 'new' the dialog is dark grey for the first .5-.75 seconds, then at about 1.5 seconds, it fills in. You'll also notice HUGE lags in the font menus. And these dragging-feet issues happen all over Photoshop.

Desktop 05.10.2017 - 07.57.40.01 - Vidme

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll also notice when I click the canvas with the text tool, there's a good one second delay before I get the blinking cursor. Again, on all my other machines, it's instantaneous. These tiny delays are crippling and unacceptable.

I should share some of my other findings:

-Have cleared the font cache

-Have deleted all preferences

-Have tweaked almost all performance settings found on the first 2 pages of Google when searching for "Photoshop slow"

-Have installed 2015.5 (still laggy)

The last point leads me to believe this isn't solely Adobe's fault (although none of my other software behaves this way). I'm going to install 2015.1 a little later today during lunch. If that doesn't work, I will probably just install a fresh OS (again) on a different SSD over the weekend - I'll focus solely on installing Adobe Photoshop before ANY of my other dev stuff.

One last note - I did install the OS while I had a Ryzen 1700x in the machine. I also installed all my software before I connected to my office's Windows network domain as an Administrator. I'm also getting a "could not complete the operation" when I save for web while Photoshop is "ran as administrator" so there's something definitely screwey going on here. And a fun FYI - I returned the Ryzen cpu because it doesn't seem like After Effects (or any Adobe software), Visual Studio, or Blender take advantage of all those AMD cores... 15% cpu utilization while H264 encoding a video in Media Encoder... ouch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, guys!

Does anyone solved this problem?

I have the same issue on my macOS with CC 2017 (Latest version) and nothing helps.

- Remove all not system fonts.

- Clean system and CC font cache

- Re-install CC

- Disable Font Preview Size to None

- Disable Typekit font synch

- Removed all plugins

What did I miss?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe your issue same as which issue in this thread.

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

• The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:
  • Adobe product and version number
  • Operating system and version number ?????
  • The full text of any error message(s)
  • What you were doing when the problem occurred ????
  • Screenshots of the problem ??????
  • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc. ????
  • Document information size resolution number of layers etc.
  • Photoshop System Info
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2017.1.1 20170425.r.252 2017/04/25:23:00:00 CL 1113967  x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not use a Mac so I may not be reading all you posted well.  I did not see any lag in your video I just saw you are missing fonts used in the psd.  You seem to have a few application open some using quite a bit of Rams on an 8GB I5 Mac the is free ram and cpu usage is not all the high. Photoshop is using more ram to other application but is not using much CPU,   I did not see much information about the document you were editing except your missing fonts and I did not see lag.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take a look at 15s of the video http://prntscr.com/ghsblw  left panel stacks the top panel stacks too and I do not have the opportunity to exit from text editing mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video you posted was 14sec at 12sec I do see the tools bars and the tool option bare is cleared.  I do not use a Mac for all I know that could be a device driver issue.  Photoshop does change the Tools  option bar when tools are switched but only changes a single icon in the tools bar when tools are switched. I have never seen these bars cleared out on my Windows systems.  It may be a Mac issue.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't tell you why this got better for me for a while. But with the latest update to Creative Cloud today now Photoshop CC2017 and 2015 are back to a crawl if they even open after 5 minutes. It's not related to any plugins. It takes minutes in between being able to do actions in the app. I've changed nothing on my system today, except update Creative Cloud. This morning Photoshop worked great. Restarting the system and logging in and out of Creative Cloud did nothing. Definitely seems to be Typekit issues. The fonts stopped syncing and trying to type in the name of a search... uh forget about it, the drop down of fonts just chokes. Some kind of serious bug again. Seriously I just spent over an hour trying to open a Photoshop doc and edit a line of text. No success yet. Help?@DavidMohr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now i have this issue,too. i using the last release of photoshop.

I already have located which type of font making trouble but i need to use it.

Is there any solution for it?

i install this font:

https://creativemarket.com/SamParrett/907539-Northwell-Font

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i solved the problem for me!

I have bold font as default....so the font are lagging....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Michael,

Which font are you having trouble with?  Have you checked to see if the font itself has issues?  You could try using a different font to see if performance increases or you could check your font caches for corruption.  Instructions for the later are here: Troubleshoot fonts issues in Adobe Photoshop CC, 2015, 2014, CS6, CS5. Using a bold font should be no different than any other font style -- programatically, they're the same.  Now, that said, you're not using Faux Bold, are you?  That is its own animal...

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem is solved, see my answer above

"I have bold font as default....so the font are lagging.... "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that's just it, a bold-specific bug is likely actually a font-specific bug -- specific to the bold variety of that font, which is it's own file.  The bold version of a font is no different than a non-bold version.  So when you say that your fonts are lagging cuz bold is the default, that doesn't make sense.  It leads me to believe that there is a corruption either in that particular (bold) version of the font (cuz most fonts today have a totally separate bold variety) OR that your font cache has become corrupted.

My questions are to get to the bottom of the problem, so we can solve any underlying issue.  There's nothing specified here about how you fixed it.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font name is "Northwell" i bought it here:

https://creativemarket.com/SamParrett/907539-Northwell-Font

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Michael,

Thanks for that info.  When you uninstall this font, does your text still lag?  Try either trashing your preferences and running through these steps to clear your font caches (you need to clear BOTH the OS and PS caches): Troubleshoot fonts issues in Adobe Photoshop CC, 2015, 2014, CS6, CS5

If that fixes things for you, let me know and I'll reach out to the font foundary.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS do not lag when i uninstall this font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome!  Thanks for the clarification, Michael.

So I'll reach out to the font designer.  There's probably a little glitch in his implementation triggering this.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Sties,

Sorry for the lag -- I never saw your post (I get email notifications to let me know).

How many fonts are you running with?  Have you checked for corrupted fonts?  Instructions are here: Troubleshoot fonts issues in Adobe Photoshop CC, 2015, 2014, CS6, CS5.  Common actions that could trigger font cache corruption are things like updating the OS or installing a new application.  Sometimes installing a new (dicey) font will as well.

If that doesn't help, ping me here and we can try and trouble shoot your situation.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines