• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2017/Mac: type tool very slow

Participant ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the type tool and trying to change any type options using the Character and Paragraph palettes is very slow after updating to Photoshop CC 2017. These didn't help:

• resetting Photoshop's preferences
  • disabling GPU acceleration
  • Type > Font Preview Size > None

I'm using Photoshop on a MacBook Pro Late 2013, 8 GB RAM, macOS Sierra 10.12.1.

Any other troubleshooting ideas?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Howdy Jacek,

Thank you for this "silver bullet" -- I can see what you're encountering and, even better, I can tell you that we have a fix.  You should see it in the next update to Photoshop.  I'm not allowed to say when that is, but it shouldn't be too long...

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit, yes finally! I just tried a file I had problems with the other day and the lag is gone! Also I made a big file with lots of text and there was no lag at all! Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks for the update.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may have fixed it for folks posting in this thread, but it's now broken for me - my type tool is unusably slow ever since the 2017.1 update, when it was fine on 2017.0. How can I go about downgrading?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya J Shagam,

What kinds of operations are you doing on type that you're having this problem?  Would you mind sharing a couple files that have this problem?  Do you see this problem with all fonts or only certain ones?  I'd like to get info so I can understand the problem.

You can email me directly at david <dot> mohr <at> adobe <dot> com.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downgraded to 2017.0.1 which didn't help any, so I went back to 2017.1.0. The problem was occurring on all files, but I ended up removing a bunch of fonts that I don't use anymore, rebuilding my font caches, and rebooting, and that seems to have cleared it up for now. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

The problem was with anything text-related - just clicking on text to edit it, it would take maybe 5-10 seconds for any operation to respond, including typing a letter, moving the cursor, or trying to drag the text to a new location. Given that my primary use of Photoshop is drawing and lettering comics, this was... not ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, that was what I was suspecting.  Sometimes the font cache can get munched after an update and/or installing or removing a font.  It tends to be worse on Mac than Windows and usually due to a buy in the system font cache rather than ours, but you get the idea.

Glad to hear the problem is resolved for you.  If you have this problem again, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you guys, came in to say this.

The typetool it is now fixed with the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was running into the same issue.

Updated today and it's fixed!

Nice silver bullet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. It took long though. But I'm happy it's fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, my Photoshop CC 2017 started being very slow and laggy, up to a minute or more with the spinning circle when I try to edit the text.  I did copy the text from Google Docs and paste into PS. However, even when trying a new document afterwards and then trying to type the text directly into PS, the program was laggy.  Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zarinah,

We'd love to fix text problems, but we'll need a little more details.  What OS were you using?  Did the Google Doc use a web-font?  What language/script is the document written in?  Have you tried relaunching PS?  After you do so, are things still laggy?  Can you share with me the PSD and the Google Doc so I can replicate the problem?  My email is david.mohr@adobe.com.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a meme especially for Adobe developers (of course in MS Paint because writing in Photoshop CC2017 is almost impossible) Have fun...

Bez tytułu.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please hurry up with this??!! You shouldn't be relying on users such as Jacek to troubleshoot for you.

Stop pushing useless features and focus on making the basics work, yeah?

It angers me that I am paying for a product where the type tool doesn't even work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work at all now. Period. Done. Quit. Does not work in Win 7 64 bit, latest updates applied today. Latest Adobe Photoshop CC version applied today. New Kaspersky database update was downloaded today. Ran that. Nothing found.

Adobe Photoshop CC 2017's type tool has been rendered useless now. See the post I originated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Photoshop 2017 in vain hope that it may perform better than 2015 or 2016... but no. And the type tool is AWFUL!

I now long for the days of buying the app(s) on a CD/DVD so the software is not constantly accessing the internet... I'm convinced that's one of the problems with ALL the CC apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recent update has NOT fixed this issue. I agree Terry I think this could also be the problem, that plus the 'my library' crap which seems to slow things down further. I have heard CC memberships are going up - I will not hesitate to cancel my subscription if you can't sort out the basics, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay Adobe, goodbye. I'm not going to pay $50 every month and feel like a beta tester.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO, I've been waiting for a fix a long time...nothing came. Im not very rich and I have to pay a lot of money for a product that doesn't work. I want to quit my yearly Adobe subscription and now I'm looking for alternatives. Can anybody tell me what the best alternative is for Adobe Photoshop? So far I have tried GIMP and I liked it, it has a fast typetool, it felt so good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Affinity Designer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally the latest update did fix. I really hope that when a issue like this hits again they will roll out a fix quicker than this. But I'm happy it is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. SUPER FRUSTRATING!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines