• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2017 Unusable slow

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded my Photoshop to CC 2017 today and since the upgrade it has been very very slow. When I click on File menu the dropdown menu appears like after 3-4 seconds. When I delete layer it take about 10 second. Zoom in and out are terribly slow. I work on Photoshop everyday hope to get the problem resolve as soon as possible.

Is there a way to downgrade to earlier version?

My computer details:

Windows 10 Pro

Processor: Intel i7-5960X

RAM: 32 GB

Graphic: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti

SSD

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 403 Replies 403
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

munki-boy wrote:

This is completely untrue unless using its 3D or throwing a lot of hi-res/depth images in all at once. I can think of plenty of examples of much heavier applications.

The trouble is a lot of people do run Hi-Res 16bit images with multiple images open simultaneously. It is not uncommon to have a hundred layers or more with hundreds of fonts in memory, not to mention extensions. I stand by what I said, this requires a well managed system not just a well behaved Phototoshop. Nobody is pretending there aren't other hungry apps also but it is very obvious from this thread that a lot of posters are expecting Adobe to provide everything from troubleshooting anti virus issues to graphics card drivers, to defragmenting their hard disk, to building in tolerance for the games they are playing in the background and that is totally unrealistic. In business we wouldn't tolerate a game on a business machine or non descript third party freeware. If people put these things on their primary sources of income they only have themselves to blame when their workflow gets disrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

munki-boy wrote:

"it's still one of the most demanding resource hungry applications on the planet"

Blimey!  Do you use Premiere Pro and/or After Effects?  For the most part, Photoshop barely puts my five year old system beyond breaking a sweat.  PP and AE are way heavier on resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that was a quote of Terri's post hence the quote marks. But I agree entirely with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In business Trevor we aren't prepared to spend £10,000 on each employee to give them a system like yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri Stevens wrote:

... and where did you get my dad's rusty Morris Minor from?

There's a small garage in Pembrokeshire, West Wales, near where I live that for some reason keeps a couple outside their premises. Whenever I go past I stop and take a few shots.

Finally, topic we can agree on. Here's my '61 Morris Minor pickup (edited in PS 2015.5)back-chicken.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sonofmrsnak wrote:

Finally, topic we can agree on. Here's my '61 Morris Minor pickup (edited in PS 2015.5)back-chicken.jpg

I thought that after 64 years I had seen everything. But a chicken acting as security for a converted Morris Minor takes some beating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that after 64 years I had seen everything. But a chicken acting as security for a converted Morris Minor takes some beating.

Not a conversion - a stock pickup. 🙂 I used to have better security before the resto.moggy_cheer.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know the Minor was exported to the States? Do you have the Austin Healey and Triumph Stags over there too? My friend has a restored Healey convertible from circa 1959 which is gorgeous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, mine was a US export -right hand drive from the factory. The Stags were imported but didn't do well. Early Austin Healys are everywhere (and pricey).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Stag was always blowing it's head gasket but had beautiful lines. Over here they dropped Ford V8 engines  in and that made them road going rockets and reliable lol My friend is struggling with the insurance on his Healey as it's worth not far short of his house -maybe that's a slight exaggeration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a couple GT6's. I felt the pain ;-). Collector car insurance makes it quite affordable here if you can keep your mileage down.

Still would love a 3000. Best ad I ever saw summed up the Brit car experience, "Runs occasionally". But when they do, they are wonderful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sonofmrsnak wrote:

Not a conversion - a stock pickup. 🙂 I used to have better security before the resto.moggy_cheer.JPG

I suppose you do realize the irony of Photoshopping 4 attractive ladies into the back of your truck, when most users on this thread are complaining they can't even type their name in PSCC2017! Nice truck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm just lucky, but since the "fix" was published, I'm not seeing any major slow down issues. At least not anymore that I already had in version 2015. That includes using the text tool, with any font that I want.

One of the things that I did, that seems to help, is I checked 'Use Legacy "New Document" Interface' in the general area of the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't having any of the slowdown issues that others have as I don't use the text options they are using. I too have installed the update of 2017 and if anything my general PS speed and response seems even faster than it was under the original 2017 a few days ago. I don't want to sound smarmy about it as I realize some users are having specific problems, but my PS is better than it's ever been and is running really well, although a lot of that is down to me installing an SSD on my Windows desktop last month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, what was the original issue you were experiencing that brought you to this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gishnetwork wrote:

Rob, what was the original issue you were experiencing that brought you to this thread?

A great sense of euphoria and complete happiness with the world (inc Adobe) and a consequent desire to immerse myself (in a schadenfreude sort of way) in the problems of those less fortunate than myself. Seriously, I just wanted to state that I was not experiencing a problem. It struck me the thread could have done with a little more balance. PS is a great product. Sure, it has occasional problems, and people might not like the subscription model, but I'm actually quite happy with it. And now it's time I had another glass of that excellent Californian Chardonnay - that's another great product...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to state that I was not experiencing a problem. It struck me the thread could have done with a little more balance

In all fairness, your software does have a problem - as you have since found that out at least with regards to the type-tool so far . So, I would say that your chosen exposure (by your individual use case) and subsequent euphoria is illegitimate for these issues. In fact, you are artificially putting this issue in imbalance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were having the issues we were having and not the luxury of working for leisure and on deadlines for clients that money and time is in the balance you may be singing a similar tune as the rest of us with this issue.  The fact that we are paying money for a product that is not working isnt acceptable... Adobe isnt going to be sending out a refund for the month their product crashed and burned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and not a speck of rust in sight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morkie wrote:

Terri, that's really not a good suggestion if I may be so bold.

BIOS upgrades can be fraught with problems and could create a much bigger problem for someone hoping to fix these issues.

Hi Morkie,

I fully agree with you that flashing a Bios is not for those of a nervous disposition. In case I didn't make it clear in my original post, don't do it unless you understand that if it goes wrong your computer will be as dead as Hillary Clinton's political career.

Seriously it can be done safely but there is always a modicum of risk. I have done it twice in the past, but not in connection with Adobe software. In my case I had a graphics card that conflicted with the Bios and regularly BSOD'd, flashing the bios fixed the problem. I'm not an engineer but I can picture a scenario where a graphics card working in Photoshop -which is very GPU demanding-might cause a slowdown if the graphics card was not communicating with the rest of the computer at the PCIe bus speed and so it is legitimate to pass on the information that someone cured the sluggishness with a new Bios. Photoshop is one of the few computer applications that takes advantage of multiple cores, parallel processing and programming direct to the GPU. All of these things are hardware matters and it therefore becomes essential the firmware as well as the software is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct flashing BIOS is not my usual goto and I should have clarified in my earlier post that there was some evidence it may have been worth it.

In my case it was a new machine and the hardware hadn't proven itself to be reliable yet (hadn't proven itself to be unreliable either, the data just didn't exist). After "Adobe" products would hang (they were the only products I saw this issue with, but I don't have many apps I'm using either) I would occasionally get a Stop Code error (Blue Screen of Death) indicating some piece of hardware was not waking from a sleep state properly.

All of my drivers had been recently updated and none of them had recently deployed updates (i.e. the latest driver updates were still a few months old) The one piece of hardware/driver that was out of date was my motherboard which I was two versions behind and the release notes were "stability improvements".

After flashing the bios a pretty easily reproducible error was not able to be reproduced (and I still haven't seen it). I felt sharing this information was more valuable than not saying anything as it is possible someone else out there may have a similar issue or possibly even the exact same mother board that I do.

If you want a legal disclaimer here it is.

If you don't know what flashing the bios means or what it does or how it may adversely impact your life DO NOT ATTEMPT

-Have a nice day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting, every bit of information is useful. There are some MOBO's that have a dual bios, I know Gigabyte boards do. With those if something goes wrong the other one just takes over and re-writes it's firmware back to the corrupted bios so the whole operation becomes fail safe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri Stevens wrote:

... maybe a job for PC World or an engineer.

I saw what you did there, with that little 'or' word. Want to hear my recent horror story?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rob_ashcroft wrote:

I saw what you did there, with that little 'or' word. Want to hear my recent horror story?

Yes let's hear about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JacekPuzio wrote:

Could you create 1200x1200 px 72dpi document, use Type tool, create text area and put "lorem ipsum" in it to cover whole document? Font Tahoma 14px for example. Then grab your mouse, and try to randomly select pieces of text, 3-4 sentences.

Any lag in CC2017?

I did that. Very interesting. My CPU for CC2017 prior to this was about 2%. I typed all the text and saved the file. Then I left clicked in the centre of the text and did CTRL/A to select all text. It selected it in about 1 sec, but the CPU shot up to about 26% and stayed there. At one point I got a 'Photoshop not responding' but that cleared although the CPU stayed at about 26%. It was like that while I went downstairs and made coffee. When I got back I left clicked the text to clear the select all, and the CPU resettled down to 2% in about 5 secs.

I'd say that is a very specific bug. The overall product seems fine, at least on my machine.

BTW the fuller quote of Cicero is very relevant to this thread

"Nor again is there anyone who loves or pursues or desires to obtain pain of itself, because it is pain. But occasionally circumstances occur in which toil and pain can procure him some great pleasure."

ipsum.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines