• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2018 corrupting PSD files

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2018 keeps corrupting files and it is damaging to my work (as in money earned).

It is so frustrating, it keeps happening in haphazard ways and I can't pin it to one special behaviour.

It starts with image artifacts, and when I can see those, the file is basically gone.

macOS Sierra 10.12.6

2,7 GHz i5

8GB RAM

Intel Iris Graphics 6100

I will download the old PS CC for the time being but this is not the solution.

Shame on you Adobe for delivering such a buggy product that is not only annoying but detrimental.

This is the file in Preview:

corrupted_cc_2018.jpg

and this is it opened in Photoshop:

pls_go_on_adobe_i_like_dis.jpg

Cool. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Hi

I have not experienced any corruption of files.

However , in your position I would do the following:

1. Create a couple of test files and work on them to isolate the issue.

2. Turn off the GPU in "Photoshop > Performance and if that resolves the problem - turn it back on first in basic mode then try the other modes.

3. Once the outcome of the GPU on/off is known - raise a report at the link below , where it will be seen by Adobe staff, giving as much system info as possible - and be prepared to sh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem today. It is destroying my files. I am afraid of opening more files as they are getting destroyed one by one.

PHOTOSHOP GUYS, pl;ease come up with a fix ASAP.

How can I revert to CC 2017?   Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 6.03.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alernick  wrote

I am having the same problem today. It is destroying my files. I am afraid of opening more files as they are getting destroyed one by one.

PHOTOSHOP GUYS, pl;ease come up with a fix ASAP.

How can I revert to CC 2017?   Anyone?

From the Photoshop CC Dropdown menu:

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 11.33.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 11.37.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you download any images from the internet lately?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images from the internet?? No? But even if so, I've been using Photoshop for more than 10 years now, I have never had such a problem. This makes PS unsafe to work, as alernick​ said, I'm not opening another file in this cauldron of uncertainty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have not experienced any corruption of files.

However , in your position I would do the following:

1. Create a couple of test files and work on them to isolate the issue.

2. Turn off the GPU in "Photoshop > Performance and if that resolves the problem - turn it back on first in basic mode then try the other modes.

3. Once the outcome of the GPU on/off is known - raise a report at the link below , where it will be seen by Adobe staff, giving as much system info as possible - and be prepared to share a corrupted file. (This forum is predominantly answered by volunteer users)

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox recommends this tool to recover corrupted files.

Telegraphics - Free plugins for Photoshop & Illustrator...and other software

Other wise, it might be an idea to run a Disk Repair using First Aid on Disk Utiliity.

Resetting the nvram and smc might be a good idea. Do both.

How, When, & Why to reset the PRAM & SMC on your Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS INSANE!!!!!! IT'S HAPPENING TO ME TOO!!!!!!!

It's Pritty F$%ED Up.........

EVERYBODY, sonner or later it will happen to you. I have a fresh system, just installed OS Sierra on my Mac and this happened to me today.

I will recommend to go back to 2017 until Adobe get's real about this BIG issue and takes care of it. Never seen anything like it on 15 years of working in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me, I was using the healing brush tool and it just went berserk, then created these boxes (maybe from sections of the cloning tool areas I was working on?) and it's not a GPU thing, because they are completely selectable shapes. The black layer even turned white. I tried saving a copy closing re-opening rebooting and it's still messed up.

This is scary, I have a ton of work to do on products and cannot have it mess up like this. I will revert until it's fixed.

Quick summary of specs if it helps: Win 10 pro - 64 bit, i7, nvidia 680m, SSD, 16GB Ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the SAME ISSUE, thankfully I work with images, mostly in smart objects so I can relink the original file, and clean up every single mask I have, but this is really bad, some paint layers I can't save. This is MY JOB, I can't afford to lose work this way! I used to stick to CS6 and never had a single problem. Since I finally made the jump to CC in September, I keep having a million different problems. I really regret my decision at this point, as at least CS6 was stable and ran fast! I handle files that can go 4-6gb on tight dealines, I can't afford this crap. I had this problem before the CC2018 upgrade, but before it would affect 1-2 layers (the one I would be touching). Now it corrupts all my layers! I turned off GPU so we'll see but I'm not holding my breath.

I have a PC laptop, Intel i7-4810MQ @ 2.80ghz, 32 GB RAM, Windows 10 up to date, Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M, all my drivers are up to date and I basically did a full clean install on my PC back in September, so all drivers are no older than then (and the reason I upgraded to CC at the time). I see most people having issues with Mac, but I'm on a 3 yo top of the line Digital Storm laptop...

BUG.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2018 is a .0 release and prone to a lot of problems. It was conventional wisdom to keep the earlier version around for at least a month.

You can with the CC plan install earlier versions as shown here:  Re: Photoshop CC 2018 corrupting PSD files

CC 2017 or even CC 2014 are good picks. See if that works for you. You paid for it and might as well as get the benefits.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, and Adobe could do beta releases for the guinea pigs that enjoy corrupting files for fun.

I already moved back to 2017 for photoshop at least. We had to move forward for some of the software because we are a print/media provider as well and need to have the same version as our clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there steps you can perform that consistently reproduce this issue?

How often is this happening?

Do you have background save enabled?

Are the files stored on a local drive? or remote server?

Are these files stored in a location that uses a cloud sync or back-up service? (e.g. Creative Cloud sync, Dropbox, Skydrive, etc)

A damaged file might also be helpful. if you have one you can share, either post a URL to a CC shared file or dropbox, or let me know. That said, ideally we need steps to reproduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, this happened on the second file I used which was imported from a camera raw .nef file.

Locally, not on a network.

After that disaster I uninstalled 2018 and went back to 2017 so I can't try troubleshooting. (Not that I have the time for it anyway)

Not sure if I had background save enabled, it would be whatever the default was set to.

I do have crash plan as a backup service but it's not running while I'm working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Note, you can keep the latest version and prior versions installed at the same time. Just make sure you uncheck "Remove Prior Versions" in the advanced settings in the Creative Cloud desktop app. Update apps to the October 2017 release of Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, had the same issue last night, except I'm using cc 2017.1.1 - I had a similar issue back when I had my 10 year old laptop running an old version of photoshop. Figured that was because it wasn't up to date and my graphics card was old, but perhaps not the only issues. I was going to update last night but then I saw this thread, so not sure if I should or not?

Not had chance to replicate the issue yet, but it happened when I was saving last night. It was happening to another image as well with less layers however that one seems to be ok now. If I come across this issue again I'll report back here with what happened.

I have background saving enabled / The files are all stored locally / There's no cloud syncing where they are stored / Happy to send over a corrupted file if you need one, is there an email address I can send it to?

Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 13.21.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened again today to a different image. I've reported it to the Photoshop Family Customer Community. This time it was when I was using a Gaussian blur on a smart object. This is really frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're still seeing this issue, try disabling the Halide Bottlenecks plug-in.  You can do so by doing the following:

1.  Cntrl or right-click on the Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 application package and choose Show Package Contents

2.  navigate to Contents\Required\Plug-Ins\Extensions\

3.  rename the HalideBottlenecks.plugin by adding a '~' at the beginning of the plugin name (it should be ~HalideBottlenecks.plugin when you're done)

4.  Quit and re-launch PS

Please let me know if you're still seeing the corruption after this change.

Thanks,

Adam

PS - if the issue is also occurring on Windows, go to the app folder and navigate to Required\Plug-Ins\Extensions then follow steps 3 & 4 above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, will try. I stopped using 2018 when it first happened and went back to PS 2017. I will give it a try with an un-important file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I downgraded to photoshop 2017.1.3

I don't see Halide Bottlenecks in the package.

I had the problem again yesterday. I worked for about 5 hours. When I tried to open the files today they were all corrupted. I'm now saving the files as layered TIFF. Each one is about 90 mg so extremely slow. Feels like I'm working in the 90's

Patricia Childers

Adjunct Professor

Communication Design / New York City College of Technology / CUNY

pchilders@citytech.cuny.edu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant thanks, this worked. Although how important is this plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues on a Surface PRO I'm afraid.

Will try disabling the plugin.

Zooming in with brush tool selected and boom.

JPEG

Dropbox - _DSC8713_SHORTBREAD_V2_trashed.jpg

PSD

Dropbox - _DSC8713_SHORTBREAD_V2_trashed.psd

Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.0 20170929.r.165 2017/09/29: 1138933  x64

Number of Launches: 28

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Version: 10 or greater 10.0.16299.15

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:5, Stepping:1 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 2

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 2295 MHz

Built-in memory: 8097 MB

Free memory: 1528 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 6825 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 60 %

Surface Dial: Enabled.

Alias Layers: Disabled.

Modifier Palette: Enabled.

Highbeam: Enabled.

Image tile size: 128K

Image cache levels: 4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, all my images with layers are LOST!! When I try to open I get a program error. I've just lost days of work. Does anyone know of a way to recover these files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still using Photoshop 2017. I've heard nightmare stories about 2018 and have not updated. At this point, I don't trust Adobe's tech capabilities enough to update any of their apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines