• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2019 crashes on print request

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two printers, both working. I can print images using Windows internal print commands. However, Photoshop CC 20.0.4 crashes immediately - with a Windows prompt, not Adobe - when anything to do with printing is evoked. That is, File > Print dies before any response comes back.

The printers are a Samsung and a Canon Pro-1000 A3 printer. Both are fine with other applications. Canon's plug in will run in the absence of an image, but the system crashes if there is an image present. I can print images which cause Photoshop to crash using Windows internal print commands.

This is a sudden event, starting on Tuesday 19 March, following an update from Adobe. Work is piling up. Relevant Windows error log is this:

-EventData

Photoshop.exe
5c764fad
ntdll.dll
5c7f3a94
c0000374
00000000000bf302
1e5c
01d4dfc64593edb3
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Photoshop.exe
C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
904257cd-4bb9-11e9-97a2-bcee7b98e83b

Relevant systems information is:

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 7 SP1 6.1.7601.24387

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:14, Stepping:4 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 6

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3402 MHz

Built-in memory: 16326 MB

Free memory: 8961 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 14935 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 60 %

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Hi

Have you tried resetting preferences? Although user preferences do not contain print settings, resetting also restores Photoshop's internal preferences which are saved when Photoshop closes. If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

To do this go to Prefernces >General and choose "Reset Preferences on Quit". Then click OK and close and restart Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Have you tried resetting preferences? Although user preferences do not contain print settings, resetting also restores Photoshop's internal preferences which are saved when Photoshop closes. If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

To do this go to Prefernces >General and choose "Reset Preferences on Quit". Then click OK and close and restart Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that once before but what the hell, I thought, try it again. And it worked. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2019 Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. Saved me a lot of time trying to figure out why PS crashed whenever It tried to open the Print dialogue. I too didn't think it would be the Preferences, but what do I know! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave could you assist me aswell, I'm having the same problem. I have creative cloud subscription and have regularly updated the program. I have today, updated, then uninstalled and reinstalled the program and have reset the preferences as suggested in this post. I am unsure what else to do. My print dialogue opens, but the program crashes when I click print.  I have also sent the crash reports to Adobe. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Giselle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Thank you for this response. It does in fact work. 

BIG PROBLEM:

IT KEEPS HAPPENING!!!!

This is not a fix, it is a work around. This needs to be fixed.

I just lost work, and production time. Unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dave.  I've experienced this problem for the recent 2020 and 2018 versions.  I completed your recommended steps and it continues to crash.  Do you have any other ways to remedy this issue or a source that I can address this to? 

Reishead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still hapening in Dec 2020, still no fix. It appears to be files created in older versions of PS that the new version fails to read correctly. No problem if you create the file in your current version. If you do the reset of the preferences it will let you print but you get a couple of warnings that the prints settings are not compatible and/or the printer has changed (in my case the printer has changed but this should not cause PS to crash). If you shut PS down and restart it and try to print an older file the same thing happens. Major issue, needs a fix ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked.  I do not know why but then I don't care why Just glad it worked.

January 20, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked for me too ! thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering how many users this affects. I have this issue regularly now, months after the original post. Sure hope Adobe is reading this stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I have a fully working, licensed copy of Photoshop CS6.

There IS no item under        <Edit> <Preferences> General . . . .  "Reset preferences on Quit"  or anything remotely similar.

Is this a new clever way Adobe's new owners are going to force me to RENT   CC    forever?

If so, I'm going to find a non-Adobe product to buy and learn.

Berkeley Fuller-Lewis

Talent, OR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reset Preferences in CS6 press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. New preferences files are created when you start Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TO REPEAT.  NO SUCH THING HAPPENS WHEN I START PHOTOSHOP CS6 using  <CTRL><ALT><SHFT>.

After the windows "do you want to run this"  YES/NO,  Photoshop opens normally and doesn't ask you ANYTHING.

I finally found how where and what the Photoshop preferences file is, re-named it, re-started Photoshop and things are OK.

Your "advice" does NOT work . . . at least in Photoshop CS6, running Windows 10 (Build 1903).

Earth to Dave, do you read me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does work, I've just done it. But with an attitude like the one you have just shown, I won't explain further,  I'll just say - good luck I'm out.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread should NOT be marked SOLVED!

I am using cc2020 and have had numerous crashes when opening the Print dialogue. 

Resetting Preferences is poor work-around, not a solution. Every time you reset Preferences you have to enter all your old preferences again, (you DID remember them, didn't you?) as Photoshop has no way of saving Preferences  

My old copy of CS5 thankfully works without trouble (and loads and runs documents much faster too) so I'm no longer going to pay for the crippled cc2020.

Photoshop cc2020 also does not save my Printer Preferences correctly, unlike CS5. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crash on print request 100% since updated to 2020.

Both previous and current versions now crash:

Photoshop 2020 V21.0.1 20191106.r.47 2019/11/06: 3152b481f18 x64

+ Photoshop CC2019 V20.0.7 20191017.r.87 2019/010/17: 1208010 x64

Did:

Uninstalled - reinstalled

Deleted preferences file (both with Ctl-Alt-Shift and manually)

Tried Ctl-P and File-Print. Both crash.

Not related to file types

Any suggestions on what can I try next?

TIA 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks worked for me too in Elements 14!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print settings are stored as metadata in the file. If the printer has changed, or the settings are otherwise invalid or corrupt, PS can crash.

To clear print settings, hold the spacebar when clicking "print".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this works!
I just have to open up all of my PSD files (all 2000 of them) and shift-print dialog, but not print. Then save and close.  The clearing of the preferences only works for a little while.
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is, 6 months later, new computer, and the problem reared its ugly head.

There's got to be an actual fix for this.  I am getting very annoyed and angry.  We pay $21 a month and expect for it to work 100% of the times without a band-aid work-around.

Will someone please hack PS and sell me a patch file? Adobe doesn't seem to be doing anything but collection all of our monthly dues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is beyond ridiculous!!!! ADOBE FIX THIS!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and am desperate for a solution because I earn my living selling my prints. The problem started for me with the latest Photoshop 2020 update (early August). I have tried all the fixes suggested in this thread. Some of them work for a while but then the crashes happen again, often EVERY TIME I try to print. And I am getting VERY fed up with having to re-set my preferences, workspace, toolbar... etc. etc. Please, please, please Adobe DO SOMETHING TO FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines