Photoshop CC 2021 Corrupting All Files?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all! Maybe there is a thread about this, but I haven't been able to find one and I'm getting desperate. Ever since I downloaded Photoshop CC 2021, almost every one of my files corrupts. I have to repeatedly save them at least 2 times to prevent this, and recently upon going to pull them up later, they had become corrupted. One was a design I saved, linked to a document in InDesign (also CC 2021), and experienced no issues. Then a coworker reached out and told me it was corrupted when he tried to open it. The only thing saving me is cloud files, but my coworkers have to have access, too.

This has happened with .PSD, .PSB and .TIF files. The errors I get are roughly "Photoshop cannot open the file because it is the wrong type of document," "Photoshop cannot parse the file," or with the PSB just telling me something is wrong with it. This is cutting into my design turn around times and is extremely frustrating. Will downloading an older version help or is this a seperate issue? Has anyone had a similar issue with Photoshop CC 2021? I never had anything happen to this extent with previous versions.

Thank you in advance!!!!!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Eugenio.NYC | Adobe Community Professional

sometimes if you reset the preferences is the solution

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

or you can install another version of Photoshop from the CC app

TOPICS
Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop CC 2021 Corrupting All Files?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all! Maybe there is a thread about this, but I haven't been able to find one and I'm getting desperate. Ever since I downloaded Photoshop CC 2021, almost every one of my files corrupts. I have to repeatedly save them at least 2 times to prevent this, and recently upon going to pull them up later, they had become corrupted. One was a design I saved, linked to a document in InDesign (also CC 2021), and experienced no issues. Then a coworker reached out and told me it was corrupted when he tried to open it. The only thing saving me is cloud files, but my coworkers have to have access, too.

This has happened with .PSD, .PSB and .TIF files. The errors I get are roughly "Photoshop cannot open the file because it is the wrong type of document," "Photoshop cannot parse the file," or with the PSB just telling me something is wrong with it. This is cutting into my design turn around times and is extremely frustrating. Will downloading an older version help or is this a seperate issue? Has anyone had a similar issue with Photoshop CC 2021? I never had anything happen to this extent with previous versions.

Thank you in advance!!!!!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Eugenio.NYC | Adobe Community Professional

TOPICS
Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Just tried this, I will follow up if it works. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2020 1
rachelco LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since resetting I've tested with a bunch of files and I'm not having this issue anymore, thank you for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 04, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File corruption is always caused by failing hardware. Usually a failing disk or bad RAM, but it can also be flaky cables and loose connectors - especially if you are using external drives.

File corruption can also happen if you save directly over a network. People usually get away with that for small Word or Excel-files of perhaps 100kB, but an image file is a different animal - orders of magnitude larger and more complex, and the save takes a very long time. The longer the save, the higher the likelihood of a "corruption event" hitting that file. It's just statistics. Networks are notoriously unstable and the connection may break at any time, even for just a microsecond.

A third possibility is that your computer loses power in the middle of a save.

That's about the possibilities that exist. Note that all of them can be categorized as hardware failure. Photoshop doesn't corrupt files on its own - if it did, it would be such a fatal flaw in the code that the whole application would have been dead long ago.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2020 0