Highlighted

Photoshop CC 2021 Exclusion Blend Mode

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use exclusion blend mode for a rasterized layer, and then save the file (PSB or TIFF) to Lightroom CC the saved file is extremely different in brightness and contrast. Also, when I zoom into that layer, when I get above 32% the image changes suddenly. I have tried numerous solutions but have found nothing that will let me save the image as it appears. Also, if I merge visivble to a new layer, the image changes. I have uploaded a couple of images to show what I mean. Thanks for any help!

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop CC 2021 Exclusion Blend Mode

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use exclusion blend mode for a rasterized layer, and then save the file (PSB or TIFF) to Lightroom CC the saved file is extremely different in brightness and contrast. Also, when I zoom into that layer, when I get above 32% the image changes suddenly. I have tried numerous solutions but have found nothing that will let me save the image as it appears. Also, if I merge visivble to a new layer, the image changes. I have uploaded a couple of images to show what I mean. Thanks for any help!

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 11, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible from before and after merging. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure here they are -- identical in fact.Merged.pngNot Merged.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As davescm pointed out View > 100% is what counts. 

It seems the image is particularly noisy, that’s often the case with the »the image changes when flattening«-cases. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I will see if I can improve the noise characteristics and retry.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When zoomed out to less than 66.7% Photoshop uses 8 bit previews to composite the image (even when the document is in 16 bit). At 66.7% or above then 16 bit is used in a 16 bit document. In addition at less than 100% pixels are merged within layers before layers are blended. In most images the difference is negligible but in some it stands out significantly.

The only fully accurate preview is 100% zoom, where every pixel is blended fully at the bit depth of the document.

These only affect the preview. When a document is flattened then all image pixels are used at full bit depth and therefore the result matches the 100% zoom preview.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I sort of realized that but your explanation clarifies things. I never expected such an enormous difference.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0
rytch LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a solution -- merging the texture layer and exlusion layer solved the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0