• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC Crop Tool - Error: Could not complete your request because the file was not found

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So since the latest update to the new UI, I haven't been able to crop any of my documents (web page designs) without getting the error "Could not complete your request because the file was not found" - the file is clearly there, and can be saved, and I can restart photoshop and open it again without any problems but still suffer the crop tool problem. I've also since shut down my computer and reopened everything and it's not been resolved. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Happened to me -- fixed by re-linking the logo files which were lost.

A. I did not expect my smart objects to be LINKED

B. Same as above

Easy fix, just look for little red icons on some of your layers -- then right-click>replace contents> change 'em out

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi daisyswain,

If you have nothing much customize yet after updating the Photoshop CC 2015, you can try and reset the Photoshop Preferences back to default.

Steps:

To re-create the preferences files for Photoshop, start the application while holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Once done try the crop tool.

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done all the above and I still have the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same issue, as well. However, i found a work around... you can use the 'canvas' editing tool. Pain in A$$, but it works until this gets figured out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened to me -- fixed by re-linking the logo files which were lost.

A. I did not expect my smart objects to be LINKED

B. Same as above

Easy fix, just look for little red icons on some of your layers -- then right-click>replace contents> change 'em out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy fix, sure. But a pain in the rump digging through layers to replace individual instances (replace contents doesn't seem to do anything for me. And re-linking doesn't apply the correct sizes or positioning). Lesson learned. Will make sure "Add to my current library" is no longer checked. Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Throwing my experience in here in case someone else runs across this.

The same error can occur if you paste as a Smart Object into Photoshop from another application like Illustrator and then remove the pasted item from the CC Library. When pasting into Photoshop as a Smart Object, Photoshop automatically adds the object to the current CC Library and updates the Smart Object link to the copy in the Library. To prevent that behavior remember to uncheck Add to My Current Library in the Paste dialog.

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 09.53.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that advice. Just as a note, ran into this error today and a good workaround is to use the Image > Canvas Size... Tool to enter in custom values. This seems to sidestep the problem as well (though can be more finicky since you have to keep adjusting numbers rather than using a drag and drop method).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just have this same issue.. remember when Photoshop could perform normal , even as simple as opening jpg, the most simplest file format.. Photoshop your updates create problems.. test them first before releasing would save a lot of headaches for your customers..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Daisyswain. You're probably over this by now, but i ran into this problem too. The only difference being thet the error message read "could not complete the COMMAND because the file could not be found"

Notice that mine read command while yours read "Request" So i'm guessing they are different things.
However, someone may find this useful so......

I noticed that the a particular layer had a displacement map filter added to it. Somehow, the path to the displacement map (PSD file) was broken and the error erupted whenever i tried to work on it. So i double clicked on the added filter (on my smart object) and pointed to the correct location of my displacement map (PSD file). Voila! That was it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines