• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC, no icons

Engaged ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed as many of the CC apps as I could in Snow Leopard, 10.6.8. Photoshop CC will not save desktop icons for any file type. I left Photoshop CS6 on the drive and it still works perfectly to local drives and our server. I have the preferences for CC exactly the same as CS6, but CC never saves an icon. Anyone else seeing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

That is the new "normal" - since that is how Apple wants to display them.

Apple has marked the resource manager routines as "deprecated" in their public API headers, but has made no announcement on when they might go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 136 Replies 136
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under my CC license, I have Photoshop CC 2014 on a Macbook and a Dell running Windows 7.

Adobe and Microsoft both have had their differences in PSD thumbnail rendering. To this very day I do not know if this was settled, because there is inexpensive third party thumbnail rendering software.  $20

Ardfrey PSD Codec renders not only PSD but PSB thumbnails at the Desktop/Windows Explorer level. That included open/save dialog boxes in CC 2014 using the Extra-large thumbnail view.

I pounded on Ardfrey a bit and created a 32 bpc 5.65 GB psb file and it rendered a thumbnail.

In short, you might have to go to Windows if thumbnails are very important to you and you need this now.

Sadly this sort of software is not yet on the Mac side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chris,

if the problem is in OSX, are you trying to communicate that to apple? are they working on it?

it is obvious that your customers are struggling with it and not Apple's customers.

it seems that it's very much in your interest to have it repaired.

not to forget that it's an issue only with your last PS version.

and it is obvious that is not so much of machine and OS dependent.

i have this problem on both computers i own, a 2006 mac pro with 10.7.5 and 2012 mac book pro with 10.8.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we have communicated the issue to Apple.

It is not just the latest Photoshop version. There are multiple OS issues involved, and Apple's deprecation of resource forks and resource thumbnails has made some of those OS problems more visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is old but in case anyone reading it has what the OP originally described, which was a problem displaying on the desktop document thumbnails — interchangeably referred to as icons — under Snow Leopard and newer incarnations of OS X, the fix that worked for me was to go to the Finder > View > "show view options" and UNCHECK the "show icon preview". After doing so, all app-specific document thumbnails replaced the "generic" document preview images I had beforehand. Using an Adobe PDF doc as an example, I now see the more readily-identifiable Adobe PDF logo. Likewise, within the hard drive or desktop I now see thumbnail-size photo previews for images that have been edited in CS6/PS.

Someone else earlier in the thread mentioned that changing the "icon size" under the same Finder menu allowed them to appear whereas unchecking the "show icon preview" is what worked for me. One caveat: This thread ultimately covered a variety of missing thumbnails/icons that occurred for CC and/or CS6 users (in other words different problems, different operating systems and most likely different causes). For what it is worth though, if you can't see your app-specific thumbnails on your desktop and elsewhere — because what you're actually seeing instead is not truly blank but a miniaturized, nondescript preview — try toggling your Finder "view" options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke to an Apple representative on the phone helpline about tiff thumbnails not showing up or showing up very slowly.  We went through resetting the PRAM, removing the finder plist files etc.  Nothing worked.  Then he went away to investigate.  Came back and said, lets try in safe mode, as this will disable third party software.

In safe mode I looked at the tiffs created with Photoshop CC and the behaviour was still the same.   Tiffs created with Photoshop CS6 showed up perfectly.

After some discussion with someone else at this end and more investigation he said that it was a known problem that was with the Adobe software, and was being worked on from both ends.

I had previously web chatted to an Adobe representative who said,

Jayita Sen: It is a known issue

Jayita Sen: The issue is not from our end

Jayita Sen: It is an issue of the Finder in mac

Jayita Sen: We are working with apple closely to fix it

So each side is sort of laying the blame on the other, but both are working to fix it.  Apparently..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've verified this is an Apple Finder/Quick Look issue independent of Adobe software.  You can easily prove that by using third-party software, e.g. ImageMagick or Apple's own Preview, to create very large TIFFs (say 1 GB).   The Finder usually won't display thumbnails for those files, instead showing the generic TIFF icon.

How large are the TIFFs causing your problems?

The underlying cause is the Finder/Quick Look's naive and buggy approach to generating thumbnails for large files, described here: PSB Quick Look Plugin.  Finder/Quick Look tries to generate thumbnails for up to 8 files at a time, but if the requests take longer than 20 seconds (which they usually will, given how naively Quick Look tries to generate the thumbnails), then the Finder times out the requests and uses the generic icons instead.

However, Photoshop could make it easier for Finder/Quick Look to generate thumbnails by including a thumbnail in the TIFF file, as it does with PSDs and PSBs.  It's possible that Photoshop CS6 is saving a thumbnail in a TIFF in a way that Finder/Quick Look can use whereas Photoshop CC 2014 is not. I don't have access to CS6.  But if you could upload to Dropbox 2 sample TIFFs, one saved in CS6 for which Finder always shows thumbnails, and one saved in CC 2014 for which Finder doesn't, I'll take a look.

Stepping back, I wouldn't put much faith in anything Adobe or Apple customer-service reps tell you.  They have a sorry track record of being wrong.  And with the particular issue of Finder/Quick Look thumbnails, Adobe and Apple have been pointing fingers at each other for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone posted a psd with a few MBs of metadata (probably History logging data) and it really caused Quicklook to move like a slug displaying it. So yes quicklook does have problems.

If you are a software engineer and have problems discussing this with them, my chances are zero.

PSB Quicklook did more for me than a year of filing reports with Apple.

And to be even-handed, I spent over a year in Microsoft's Tech Forums dealing with the stonewalling over psd thumbnails until I gave up and paid for codecs on the Windows side.

Sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7 wrote:

And to be even-handed, I spent over a year in Microsoft's Tech Forums dealing with the stonewalling over psd thumbnails until I gave up and paid for codecs on the Windows side.

Sad.

No need anymore to pay for psd thumbnails in Windows: Sagethumbs is available for free. And open source!

sagethumbs - A Windows Explorer extension allowing to preview many image formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True. I did try a number of ideas and settled on FPV. While it isn't free, it isn't costly and updates are free. Plus for ai, pdf, and indd thumbs no additional installs are needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truth be told, I purchased a license of FPV as well two years ago - mainly because it also works with Photoline files. In classes I tell the students to install Sagethumbs and Ghostscript instead (since it is free).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 05, 2015 Apr 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, thanks for the info.  My tiff files are usually 56Mb at the smallest.  Changing the size of the thumbnail in the finder does force it to display them.

The most irksome change in Photoshop CC is that in all previous versions including CS6 tiffs exported from Lightroom had a thumbnail with a white border.  After editing and saving tin Photoshop the white border disappeared and the thumbnail became slightly greeted out.  This was very useful as you could see which images in a folder had been worked on.  I've seen this mentioned by other people. 

As it stands I'm getting the thumbnails, and they show the changes after they've been edited.  The trouble is that the thumbnails are so small I just can't tell without opening each one if changes have been made, as these are sometimes just removing dust spots etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 tiffs exported from Lightroom had a thumbnail with a white border.

I believe that's a Quick Look issue triggered by Adobe disabling the use of the deprecated resource fork on Macs (at Apple's request).

Would you have a sample CS6 TIFF that you could share via Dropbox?  You could send me the link via a forum private message if necessary.  I'd like to better understand Quick Look's and CS6's legacy behaviors.

The trouble is that the thumbnails are so small I just can't tell without opening each one if changes have been made

Would using the Finder preview feature (select a thumbnail, hit the space key) work for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2015 Apr 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.10.3 has been released.  PSB Quicklook is stellar as ever. PSD thumbs render well also. Tiffs above 1 GB won't generate thumbs and quicklook won't even preview them.

For those who have never heard of this before:

Here's a Finder trick to adjust thumbs on the fly. Press Cmd /  and a slider appears on the bottom right of the finder.

Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 10.29.38 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip - that will come in handy during classes. I was unaware of that particular trick!

Out of curiosity, I saved a 2.97gb Tiff file in Windows 7 to test whether it would display a large thumbnail and be shown in the preview pane. With Fast Picture Codec installed it does - no issues.

I wonder if there is not a hidden system setting available on a Mac that controls the Tiff file size limit for thumbs creation. The 1GB limit seems rather arbitrary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2015 Apr 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The 1GB limit seems rather arbitrary.

I've done pretty extensive testing while developing my plugin, and I don't believe there is a hard limit on file size. The only hard limit I've discovered is 20 seconds -- if a thumbnail isn't generated within 20 seconds, the Finder gives up and uses a generic icon.  That seems like a long time, but that limit combined with several other factors means that the larger the file size, the more likely Finder will fail to generate a thumbnail.  These factors:

- Slower disks, or disks that have spun down in "sleep mode" and need to take 5-20 seconds to spin up.

- Even the best network attached storage hiccups now and then with slow latencies (delays).

- Finder/Quick Look issues 8 thumbnail requests in parallel, each of which has 20 seconds to complete.

- Finder/Quick Look often (usually) issues 2-3 requests per thumbnail.

- The TIFF and PSD thumbnail generators builtin to Mac use a naive algorithm that reads the entire image to generate a small thumbnail.

So when viewing a folder with 8 or more files, the actual time-out budget is 20/16 = 1.25 seconds, and that simply isn't enough to read the entire image from disk/network, depending on the size of the image and the speed of the disk.   It would take only a relatively small amount of engineering to generate thumbnails for large files reliably, but I very much doubt Apple or Adobe have much interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

richardn wrote:

The trouble is that the thumbnails are so small I just can't tell without opening each one if changes have been made, as these are sometimes just removing dust spots etc.

You are aware you can change the size of the icons in the MacOsX finder up to 512x512px?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 08, 2015 Apr 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Herbert , above a size of 88 x 88px the Yosemite Finder is reverting back to a normal TIFF icon, then begins to regenerate thumbnails at its leisure.  In other words very slowly.  Too slowly for me as I am using this function all the time for my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this question, but here goes!

Today I launched Photoshop CC for the first time. Running on Mac OS 10.8.5. Seems to be working well. I can see the images previews in my finder windows no problem. BUT....when I go to place a new Photoshop CC image in an InDesign CS6 document and navigate to the correct folder the new images I've saved today have no preview. The older ones saved in Photoshop CS6 preview fine.

Do I have to switch back to Photoshop CS6 to get this working properly? Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Rosie

PS. I'm not a techie, or a programmer, just a humble graphic designer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 27, 2014 Jun 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you have the desktop icons option on, you will see thumbnail/icon previews on the desktop itself, and in folders. You will not see a preview of the image in a dialogue box if you have saved any layered .psd file with the the check box for Maximum Compatibility off in Photoshop's preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem too - new MacPro running 10.9.4 - thumbnails generate fine in CS6 - generates only a ps logo in CC - hope this gets sorted soon as CC is useless to me now. I'll keep workng in cs6 until this is fixed. Might even unsubscribe, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you unsubscribe from Adobe products due to an Apple OS bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not going to unsubscribe - but it is really annoying - I'm a busy retoucher and I need the image thumbnails for instant visual reference in my workflow.. I can work in CC and re-save in CS6 - but it's a pain with the larger files, so I'm pretty much just working in CS6 and not using CC, which is a shame - I hope that between you and apple you can can find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thinking outside the box, and I don't want to make anyone upset, but if being able to choose files based on graphic thumbnails is highly important to you, you *could* use Bridge more, or even switch to Windows, where (with a suitable inexpensive 3rd party codec package installed) neither the OS company nor Adobe control the generation of icons...

ExplorerFPVCodecs2.png

PhotoshopFileOpenDialog.png

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2014 Oct 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been following this thread with interest for over a year now. As some previous posters, I work in a busy retouching studio in London, we currently have 7 retouchers all using PS CS6 because of this frustrating thumbnail issue...

Has anyone tried PS CC2014 on the newly released OSX Yosemite? Is this issue finally resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To carry on my post from earlier...

We have tired PSCC2014 with OSX Yosemite and still have exactly the same thumbnail issue.

Apple haven't addressed this issue at all in the new OS version. How long is this stalemate going to continue? We are paying monthly subscriptions for many seats of Adobe CC and we are not able to use the latest software because it is so detrimental to our workflow not to be able to view thumbnails properly.

It is verging on farcical now that this issue is still not resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines