• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC. removing files from Recent ?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I remove individual files from the Open Recent "folder" ? or is the only option to remove everything and start again ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

If you delete the file on the drive. When you click on the link in the recent list, you will get an error message that it can not find the file and will remove that link from the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That needs to be done in your file browser. Explorer on Windows or finder on a Mac. It can also be done with Adobe bridge. Find the file then hit the delete key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are all welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is in the trash but the image remains on the workspace as a recent item - how to remove this image from the workspace?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still confused. I deleted the file from my Desktop (on a mac) and it still shows in Recent. I click on the photo in Photoshop, I get the missing error, but it doesn't remove the missing file from the Recent list. How do I remove individual files from the recent list without clearing the whole list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I choosed to clear the recent files from (Files-Open recent- Clear recent ) but they also have been removed from my Mac drive so, is there any way to recover and restore them? as they are too urgent for me and i wanted only to remove them from the recent list not from my drive.

Appreciate your prompt support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"they also have been removed from my Mac drive"

Clear Recent File List​, as the name suggests, does not remove files on disk. You must have removed them somehow else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what happened. I use MacBook Pro and when I click on File, Open Recent and check on Clear Recent Files, it only removes them from the PS program. I may because I am using them from a flash drive and not from my MacBook. I hope that helps in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clear recent files, is not suppose to delete any files, only clear the list. You should use finder to delete your files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I delete a photo from my "Recent File" list in Photoshop? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your suggestion and it worked, yet it deleted all my files. Is there a way to just delete one file only from "Recent File" list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to reduce the number that can be shown on the list. Then you can clear the entire list then reopen each file you want on that list then close all. That is really the only work around that I can think of for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for your quick response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes no sense to me. My "Open Recently Edited Files"  presents only a list of FIles. There is no "Clear Recent Files" option. 

Setting the number of files displayed to 0 does not clear anything out. Once that number displayed is reset to N simply results in the first N of the original list being displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you are using an older version. I was recently introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought my Photoshop in January 2017 to run under Windows 10.2 on a new Dell Inspiron laptop with heaps of RAM and dreams of trouble free software.  Of course, it's all wonderful but the amount of my time that's wasted when something doesn't work has gone up exponentially. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences. Ctrl-k to bring up the preference panel, scroll down to bottom of panel and click on reset preference on start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are still on the main screen for "recent", Go to "File" in the top left of the screen,  then select "recent". It will then expand, showing you a list of all recent photos and at the end of the list there will be a link that you can select to clear your recent history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been perplexed at searching for a way to just remove individual files from the recent list. Here is an example of why removing just certain files is a good idea, without all the work around that I too have tried.

Say you are working on a specific project which has numerous files. Seeing all these files from the Photoshop recent list is helpful in some forms of archiving. But, if other files were opened during that work log and now they are displayed in the recent list the huge list can be cluttered with several files that were not required or needed in the aforementioned project.

Knocking these few files off the radar so-to-speak should be as easy as eliminating messages or callers from a cell phone.

Then all the total files in that work session will display with easy access for future editing.

Actually these recent lists should be able to to saved like a library that just resides on the computer. So after you clear a recent list and then a client needs more edits, additions, or corrections, you just go to a drop down menu and you clear the present list and reopen the recent list from your recent list quick menus.

The only way to work around this is to organize all the Photoshop files for a project in a project folder, and you open up every file, and then save and close all of them then you will have a recent list with just the files from that folder. Also visible from Bridge.

Since the logical way to organize files is by folders, and to search with Bridge for locating your requested files the recent list can be recycled several times per day if you are busy. This feature of Photoshop might be just referencing the last hour or so of files. If you want to see all of your files in the recent grid just open all the files in that job folder after clearing the recent list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the ability to selectively remove individual files from the recent file list, here's an "Idea" at the Photoshop Family site, you can vote it to increase the chances of it being implemented in future versions:

Photoshop: Ability to remove the files from the recents pain so we can have a better focused look on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it still leaves a visible thumbnail of the file even though it's been deleted. At least in version 22

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a stupid design of Adbobe!
Why they don't make a Close-button for every recent file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to think a little X when you rollover each image would do the trick. Seems pretty tough from a UI standpoint, Adobe might bring us this feature in 2025?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines