Highlighted

Photoshop CC2020 freezes partially

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, here's hoping someone out there can help or has had similar problems.

Problem: After some time Photoshop (CC 2020) freezes, but only the 'canvas'/work area, I can still save, close out normally, change tools, etc, but I can't actually edit/zoom on the psd. Other times it won't pick up my tablet's input until I click on the canvas with my mouse, this only happens in PS, I've tested it out in Clip Studio Paint and haven't had any issues with it.

Needless to say this is really annoying and it hinders my workflow, I've never had this problem before the latest update which was somewhere in the last two weeks if I recall. I've seen a bunch of solutions floating around the internet and nothing worked for me.

I'm running on Windows 10 (fully up to date and freshly installed three days ago), I have a Wacom tablet.
Computer configuration: Intel Core i7 8700, 32 GB ram DDR4, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 as well as a 500 GB SSD and a 1T HDD (not sure if this is important or useful, for PS I use the SSD exclusively).

I'll try installing an older version  if nothing else works, though I'd rather not waste time doing that if possible.

Thank you

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop CC2020 freezes partially

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, here's hoping someone out there can help or has had similar problems.

Problem: After some time Photoshop (CC 2020) freezes, but only the 'canvas'/work area, I can still save, close out normally, change tools, etc, but I can't actually edit/zoom on the psd. Other times it won't pick up my tablet's input until I click on the canvas with my mouse, this only happens in PS, I've tested it out in Clip Studio Paint and haven't had any issues with it.

Needless to say this is really annoying and it hinders my workflow, I've never had this problem before the latest update which was somewhere in the last two weeks if I recall. I've seen a bunch of solutions floating around the internet and nothing worked for me.

I'm running on Windows 10 (fully up to date and freshly installed three days ago), I have a Wacom tablet.
Computer configuration: Intel Core i7 8700, 32 GB ram DDR4, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 as well as a 500 GB SSD and a 1T HDD (not sure if this is important or useful, for PS I use the SSD exclusively).

I'll try installing an older version  if nothing else works, though I'd rather not waste time doing that if possible.

Thank you

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 02, 2020 7
New Here ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same thing - seem to be having issues a lot that there are no anwers to on the forums 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was going to post the exact same issue. I get the error multiple times each work session, especially when I use the hand scrub tool quickly once I've refocused back to PS from another program.

I dont know if it's related or not, but I'm using a Wacom tablet as well (Intuos Pro). My video card is an RTX Super 2060, and my scratch disk is an M.2. This has been going on for weeks, hopefully we get an answer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me also , Windows 10 up to date I7 Processor 32 GB RAM

NVIDIA GE Force RTX 2060. 6 GB VRAM Installed with Clean install a month ago old Card NVIDIA GE Force 750TI 2GB Vram and it had the same problem

After about 30 minutes L'room Classic and Pshop 2020 just freeze up.

PC is fine as long as L'Room & P'Shop arenot running

Not Sure what to do Adobe says the RTX 2060 s/b fine, but it's not

Adobe Problem or NVIDIS problem ??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seemd to have solved my problem of lockups by going to Photoshop Preferences > Performance > advanced settings > Drawing mode. I set them to basic and the lockups went away. I have since changed them up to normal and it still works fine with no lockups. No notisable performance changes.

I may next change up to advanced but I may leave well enough alone also

I do believe Adobe has a problem with these NVIDIA graphics cards since it only happens with P'shop 2020. All my other apps are fine at any gaphice settings.  Hopefully Adobe will step up to the plate and fix their problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gave this a try but no joy.

Hope they sort it soon, it happens for me at least once an hour!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

The viewport stopped updating after I flipped an object horizontally. I have a GeForce GTX 1070. The issue keeps coming up ever since I updated to PS 2020. Luckily, I can still work with the 2019 version, where the problem doesn't occur.

Edit: When multiple documents are open, the other documents can still be edited as usual, so the issue seems to only affect one document at a time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same thing here. both on my personal computer, which was build with digital painting and gaming in mind, as well as my work computer(s) that are build specifically for graphic design purposes(and are definitely not lacking).

it doesnt matter wether its a big or small file, if theres multiple files, or what i do, it can freeze shortly after opening the file, or several minutes or even hours into work: it just freezes at one point. closing the document works but its still annoying.

i've reinstalled ps, along with my drivers multiple times. other adobe programs work just fine, its only photoshop. 

the freeze issue was resolved for me for a while after adding a 'PSUserConfig' file to my PS settings, but it came with other issues so i removed the file in the end. i use a Huion KAMVAS-GT 221 Pro as my drawing tablet at home, on my work pc theres no drawing tablet used, all other drivers are updated.

i have this issue since upgrading to PS2020 a few months ago(at home), for work i only have had this issue for like the recent 1-2 months(?), but due to work i can neither switch to another older version or program.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0