Highlighted

photoshop colors different from lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i have just update photoshop to the latest version and for some reasons now, when i click on edit in photoshop from lightroom, the colors are completely different, with the previous version of photoshop i had a 100% color match without doing anything.

Untitled-1.jpg

do i have to set any color management profile or similar? and if yes where?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

photoshop colors different from lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i have just update photoshop to the latest version and for some reasons now, when i click on edit in photoshop from lightroom, the colors are completely different, with the previous version of photoshop i had a 100% color match without doing anything.

Untitled-1.jpg

do i have to set any color management profile or similar? and if yes where?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 26, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Forgot to mention that i have set now photoshop to ask for missmatch color profiles and when i import i select "keep original color profile" so there is no change in the initial lightroom profile.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same exact issue right now. None of the color grading/edits from Lightroom is being replicated over to Photoshop 2021 if selecting "edit in photoshop 20201" since upgrading both Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. This is very frusterating and has distrubted my workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was coming on here to ask the same question. Have been on hold trying to get through to someone because this has also messed with my worklfow. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be this: when opening RAW camera images in each application, the characteristics of the camera are taken into account [it’s a kind of camera profile]. That means that Photoshop and Lightroom both need to be latest versions - because the RAW processor [with its camera compensation profiles] sometimes gets updated.

If you make a tiff in lightroom and save that then open it in Photoshop are you seeing the same issue?

I hope this helps

thanks
neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer
[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like a defective monitor profile. If you're not using a calibrator, monitor/laptop manufacturers distribute their own generic profiles through Windows Update, and these profiles are very often bad in several ways. This will often affect applications differently.

Look at the histograms from these screenshots. The severe channel clipping seen in the PS example (which accounts for the purple cast) is very typical of a broken monitor profile:

LR.png

PS.png

As a first troubleshooting step, replace your current profile with sRGB IEC61966-2.1. It won't be entirely accurate, but if the difference disappears, then that confirms the profile is bad. Then you should get a calibrator to make a new profile.

Displayprofile_20_3.png

If that doesn't help, it could be a buggy video driver. Disable GPU in both Photoshop and Lightroom preferences, and compare again.

A more remote possibility - and only if you have two displays - is that one of them is using the wrong profile. But try the above first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Well the issue is not in a defective driver, as explain in my original post, as long as i had the previous version of photoshop the colors were 100% the same of lightroom.

Now i have tried few experiments and disabling the gpu acceleration as fixed the issue for a little, but not turning it on or off doesn't seems to make absolutely zero difference, i believe the issue relies on the photoshop update somehow, but i can't fix it defenetely.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have managed to isolate the problem and its 100% photoshop.

just tried by exporting one single image from lightroom, import that one in photoshop then from there procede with the usual edit in photoshop from lightroom and boom! all the pictures have the correct colors.

If instead i directly do the edit in photoshop thing from lightroom the colors mismatch.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, maybe Neil is right (post#1)... Because that's the difference between raw file and rendered RGB file. Those two require very different processing in Lightroom.

What are the exact version numbers in Lightroom and Photoshop? Check in Help > About.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 22.0.0 and lightroom 10.0 with camera raw 13.0

All latest versions, but as i have explain, its a bug in Photoshop that might effect, some machines and not others.

I have made a test, to proove it.

open photoshop and lightroom, try with the classic edit from photoshop, the image will come completely screwed.

Now instead try exporting to dng, load it up in photoshop, camera raw will pop up, the colors are correct.

Finish by doing again the edit in photoshop from lightoroom, now all colors match, no matter the picture you open.

But you need to do that every time you re open photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're making this very complicated. Let's simplify:

• Raw file in Lightroom > edit in Photoshop > it comes out wrong
  • RGB file in Lightroom > edit in Photoshop > it comes out right

Is this correct?

In that case: what are the color profiles of these files going to Photoshop? If you haven't changed any of the default settings in Lightroom, they will be:

• ProPhoto RGB in the first case (default for edit in)
  • sRGB in the second case (default for Export, which is where it originally comes from)

Still correct?

It's perfectly possible that a bad monitor profile will fail with a ProPhoto file, but work correctly with an sRGB file. It's also perfectly possible that this will happen in one application but not the other.

So again: Can you try to replace the monitor profile as per my screenshot above?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 1