• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop constantly crashes when using brushes

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop, specifically even its 2020 version seems to crash whenever it feels like it, sometimes even seconds after booting it up.

This most often happens when i use the select tool to isolate a drawing area, then begin stroking away with the brush.

Even weirder, sometimes Photoshop won't even allow me to save files because it says they are "locked or don't have permission" but I checked all the settings on my files and folders, admin and all, all clear.

Opening up task manager then closing COM Surrogate seems to remedy that.

But for the brush crashing, I have no idea. I heard it may have something to do with your GPU, I have a Nvidia RTX2080 ti, so I don't think my GPU is too weak or anything. Running off CPU makes Photoshop way too slow for me to work with.

It could be related to me installing Pictus to allow for visible thumbnails in my explorer.

Running off Windows 10. Earlier versions of Photoshop CC 2020 didn't give me these problems at all. What is the situation? Is there any additional information you need? I need to draw concept art!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried, but I don't know what effect this will have. I did try a reinstall earlier, only to run into the issue again later. I mainly reinstalled because of the stupid "file locking" problem. Didn't solve it.

I can't fully figure out how to consistently crash Photoshop either, as the brush stroking problem only occurs when it "feels like it" How can I capture the crash report and post here though? For the next time it crashes that is.

I'm worried the latest version of Photoshop has bugs that were supposed to get patched but didn't. Photoshop had given me next to no problems in the past before, even when my system had a weaker GPU.

Would resetting windows 10 help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A reinstall is not always substitute for restoring preferences. 

And turning off GPU usage (and restarting) is just a way to determine if th eissue is GPU/driver related. 

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/submitting-crash-reports.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I did try disabling OpenCL, but nothing. I don't know if it's related to my GPU. I mean my computer has been suddenly acting strange in the past few months, such as only allowing Discord to run as administrator. Did virus scans, nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The test is not intended to be about just OpenCL, it’s about a»Use Graphics Processor« as a whole! 

If that makes a difference one can turn to the Advanced Settings, including OpenCL, to see if there is a viable combination. 

Are you using a mouse or a tablet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drawing tablet. Wacom Intuos Pro M.

Here's a bit of a development though. Discord would only run as administrator.

Well it turned out, a rainbow colored war was being fought on my computer under my nose all along. The RGB lights on my RAM were constantly bugging out, not turning off when the computer slept and all. It turned out that I had two control programs AURA and ICUE fighting over it all along.

Upon uninstalling AURA (motherboard still lights becuase of ICUE) Discord could now finally run normal without the administrator nonsense.

Now whether or not this has had an impact on Photoshop, I'm yet to see. But I got my hopes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And nope, crashed again. All the drawing went smooth until I started shading with my old brush again. I can somewhat say it has something to do with that.

I did reset preferences and end the RGB light war on my computer.

Like I've said, I've done this same stuff before for years on my computer, even when it had weaker hardware, same settings and all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I think it may have had something to do with the brush I was using. I made it myself and it had angle jitter by direction on. Disabling it didn't result in further crashes. Either way, I've used this brush many times in the past, and it didn't have that issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can isolate the issue this precisely you might want to post a Report (including the abr-file for that Brush ideally) over on 

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What a late response but, the fixes I tried here didn't seem to fully remedy the issue. It came back and I kind of got used to the crashes here and there. But today, I think I found a culprit. Windows Ink. Yeah my computer can run DooM Eternal at max settings with virtually no lag, but not photoshop brushes?

Disabling Windows Ink stopped this one brush that had constant crashes, it didn't crash at all after. Even after I bumped my Photoshop Performance Settings back to max.

All I had to do after was follow a video like this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7nL10xGIA_s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

to get pressure sensitivity working again.

Isn't Windows 10 such an enigma?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines