Highlighted

Photoshop corruption affects program and saved file - odd visual glitching

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me today while working on a montage of a photo to a stock background. All files used are exported .jpgs. I've done hundreds of these with no issues before. Is this a fault in software or hardware? I guess my main concern is that it is CPU/RAM/GPU or perhaps SSD related. I'll post my computer specifications a bit later in this post but the system is about 4 years old.

I'm using the latest version of Photoshop through my CC account: 21.2.3 Release. On the latest version of Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903. No other software running other than Chrome, the CC program window, and Windows Explorer.

The glitch happened after working on a project file for about 1-2 hours. I noticed some weird visual glitches when zooming in, but they eventually disappeared. When using the gradient tool the glitches got worse and I was unable to use the tool at all. I save freaquently and decided to restart the software and my computer, and upon reopening the file the glitches where now permenent with big blocks missing in the .jpgs and in the masks.

I was unable to restore the file. It's 464 MB in size so too large to upload here, but here's a link to a video showing the glitches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxcfgE7R-7Q

I lost a bit of work but nothing too major, but I'm concerned that it might happen again and if it is a hardware issue I want to rectify it as soon as possible.

Worth mentioning is that I save to an external USB 3.0 SSD drive from Western Digital.

My computer specifications:

• Intel Core i5 6600K
  • 16 GB of RAM
  • ASUS Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB
  • ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming

Let me know if I can further assist by posting screenshots or other information.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop corruption affects program and saved file - odd visual glitching

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me today while working on a montage of a photo to a stock background. All files used are exported .jpgs. I've done hundreds of these with no issues before. Is this a fault in software or hardware? I guess my main concern is that it is CPU/RAM/GPU or perhaps SSD related. I'll post my computer specifications a bit later in this post but the system is about 4 years old.

I'm using the latest version of Photoshop through my CC account: 21.2.3 Release. On the latest version of Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903. No other software running other than Chrome, the CC program window, and Windows Explorer.

The glitch happened after working on a project file for about 1-2 hours. I noticed some weird visual glitches when zooming in, but they eventually disappeared. When using the gradient tool the glitches got worse and I was unable to use the tool at all. I save freaquently and decided to restart the software and my computer, and upon reopening the file the glitches where now permenent with big blocks missing in the .jpgs and in the masks.

I was unable to restore the file. It's 464 MB in size so too large to upload here, but here's a link to a video showing the glitches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxcfgE7R-7Q

I lost a bit of work but nothing too major, but I'm concerned that it might happen again and if it is a hardware issue I want to rectify it as soon as possible.

Worth mentioning is that I save to an external USB 3.0 SSD drive from Western Digital.

My computer specifications:

• Intel Core i5 6600K
  • 16 GB of RAM
  • ASUS Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB
  • ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming

Let me know if I can further assist by posting screenshots or other information.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The basic cause is very likely in your video driver. The problem nowadays is that the video card isn't a river floating in one direction like it used to be. These days, the GPU is used for actual data processing, and the result returned to Photoshop. It's two-way traffic, constantly going back and forth.

Try to update or roll back your driver. If it used to work, roll back to that version.

Also try to reset preferences. The preferences file is resaved on every exit, so it's vulnerable to corruption, which can cause unpredictable behavior. Resetting preferences can sometimes cure the most unlikely problems.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
D Fosse LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Worth mentioning is that I save to an external USB 3.0 SSD drive from Western Digital."

Just saw that. Don't do that! Always save locally, then copy the file over. Loose connectors can corrupt a file. A copy goes much faster than a save, so that much less risk of corruption. Plus you have the original if it goes wrong.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0