Highlighted

Photoshop : Could not save "Filename" because of program error on Mac

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

I've seen this post a few times but haven't found a workable solution yet... I've been processing images in LR and then editing on Photoshop. I always work this way and have never really had any issues. I use Mac. A few months ago, I received the "Could not save 'Filename' because of program error" message. After clearing my scratch disk and clearing cache files from adobe library everything worked fine. This week, I've been getting the message daily and clearing the cache files, scratch disk, restarting photoshop, disabling generator, disabling 'do not save in background' etc. does not work. I have to stop working for an hour so, get back to editing, only to have the error message pop up after a few images. This is not ideal. Are there any other fixes that I can try? 

Thanks in advance... 

TOPICS
Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop : Could not save "Filename" because of program error on Mac

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

I've seen this post a few times but haven't found a workable solution yet... I've been processing images in LR and then editing on Photoshop. I always work this way and have never really had any issues. I use Mac. A few months ago, I received the "Could not save 'Filename' because of program error" message. After clearing my scratch disk and clearing cache files from adobe library everything worked fine. This week, I've been getting the message daily and clearing the cache files, scratch disk, restarting photoshop, disabling generator, disabling 'do not save in background' etc. does not work. I have to stop working for an hour so, get back to editing, only to have the error message pop up after a few images. This is not ideal. Are there any other fixes that I can try? 

Thanks in advance... 

TOPICS
Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 15, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop due to the program error. Would you mind sharing the versions of Photoshop and Lightroom you are using along with your computers macOS version?

If you are using Photoshop 2019 or 2020, you can try toggling ON/OFF the option for Legacy Compositing by going to the Preferences for Photoshop, then Performance. Once done, quit and relaunch Photoshop to check if it helps.

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

Thank you for reply. 

MacOS- Catalina v10.15.6

Photoshop- 2020 v21.2.3

Lightroom- 9.4 Release Camera Raw 12.4

I'll try the solutions you've posted above and let you know how it works 🙂 

Kind Regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nikunj

I've resetting my preferrences as you've suggested via the links above but it didn't fix the problem. Is there another way forward? 

Kind regards 

Zubeidah 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zubeidah,

Thanks for the update and we're sorry for the delay in our response. Check out the following feedback link and try the offered suggestions: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-cant-save-file-due-to-program-error...

If above link doesn't help, then I would suggest you to uninstall Photoshop, restart your machine and reinstall it via Creative Cloud Desktop app.

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 1