• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Crashes when adjusting brush size

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting having this issue a few months back and it has persisted even after updating.

Anytime I try to adjust a brush using Alt+Right Click there's about a 33% chance the program will just brick up my entire computer. It seems to happen more with harder brushes, but I'm not sure. Doesn't matter how big the file is. I've tested it on single-pixel images, and massive 10,000 x 10,000 canvases, and the same thing occurs. It also doesn't actually matter if I use the brush or not. I could adjust the brush as the very first thing I do on a new canvas and it can crash, or I can be an hour into a project after using the brush numerous times and it just gives up. The program doesn't close or give me any warning messages, my entire computer just freezes. Audio tends to keep playing after the fact, so I would assume it's a graphics problem, but adjusting any of the graphic settings makes no difference. 

I'm currently using version 22.4 for Windows 10 on an i7-10700 and a GTX 1080, with 32 Gbs of RAM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

So I think I've solved the issue. NVIDIA's ShadowPlay was enabled, and disabling that seems to have solved the issue. ShadowPlay serves as an overlay for recording gameplay footage and apparently, it just doesn't play nice with rendering the brush cursor in Photoshop. While I personally don't use it for this purpose, it would be nice to see this resolved as I can see the benefit of being able to record your process/workflow in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by checking the crash info in your system event viewer. What you describe is way too random to make any sense of it. chnaces are that this isn't per se a driver crash, but hinges on specific prerequisites or a call to a certain function.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows."

This is the error report I receive at or near the time of the crash. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some searching, I updated the NVIDIA drivers and the issue persisted, but the errors changed. There are a few different ones, I'm not sure which is the leading error thou

"Error setting traits on Provider {8444a4fb-d8d3-4f38-84f8-89960a1ef12f}. Error: 0xC0000001"

"The SecDrv service failed to start due to the following error:
This driver has been blocked from loading"

"The description for Event ID 1060 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\??\C:\Windows\SysWow64\drivers\SECDRV.SYS

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table"

"The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated with the following error:
A generic command executable returned a result that indicates failure."

"The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 6000 milliseconds: Restart the service."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I think I've solved the issue. NVIDIA's ShadowPlay was enabled, and disabling that seems to have solved the issue. ShadowPlay serves as an overlay for recording gameplay footage and apparently, it just doesn't play nice with rendering the brush cursor in Photoshop. While I personally don't use it for this purpose, it would be nice to see this resolved as I can see the benefit of being able to record your process/workflow in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines