• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Crashes Whenever I Duplicate (PC)

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I duplicate a layer of any sort (group, object, etc.) the dotted grey wheel appears, spins for a bit, then Photoshop crashes. Please advise on how to rectify this. For now, I will have to create each layer from scratch and that's extremely inefficient. 

What info do you need from me to get to the bottom of this?

My PC is pretty decently spec'ed-out and this only started happening recently. 32GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680, Intel Core i5-6500 @ 3.2GHz, 4 cores.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

What exact version of Photoshop and operating system do you have, if it's Windows have you checked the event viewer for errors relating to Photoshop.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post one of the crash reports here. I you are using windows use Windows reliability history viewer to find the Photoshop stopped workings reports. If you get an Adobe Crash report use the blue link in the top of the report to capture the details and post those.

PS2020 Crash.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. Has anyone found a solution to this? My PS is crashing every time I try to copy/paste, duplicate layer or drag the layer to duplicate! Needless to say, this is frustrating. 😐 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same.

Copy and pasting a layer into an existing document causes Photoshop to crash. Doesn't matter if using cut/paste or drag-drop. Crashes consistently. 

Having to switch to Affinity Photo now just to get stuff done.

AMD Ryzen 1950X, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, Windows 10, Photoshop 22.4.0.0 20210512.r.195.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any crash reports  you can post. They should help identify where the problem is.   All we know is you have crash problems when you do some thing in Photoshop.  We have no clue where you probmen may  be without more information that relates to your crashes. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

I got round it by converting the layer to a smart object and I was then able to duplicate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i had one instance where this worked (i smart object - rasterize - feather - duplicate via copy)

and then about 8 times where it just freezes on load. have a ridiculous comp so its very odd 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines