• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS 5.1 Crashing Mac OS X Mojave

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my iMac to Mac OS X Mojave. After doing so, Photoshop will crash immediately after I open a photo to edit and try to click on the opened image. I have ensured my OS is up to date, and I also updated Photoshop through the "Help" menu. Does anyone have any advice that doesn't result in me having to purchase a new edition of Ps?

My Actions to replicate the crash:

Open Photoshop > File > Open > Select Image > Image Opens > Click Image > Photoshop Crashes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Hey, I just had the same issue, and it is now resolved. When starting the mac after installing mojave, the system asks if you will let photoshop control you mac (or something similar, mine is in norwegian). I said no to this, but it seems like it was what caused the crashing. Go to system preferences - security and privacy -  click accessibility, and check the box next to photoshop. You probably need to enter your password to make this change.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The very old CS5 is not compatible with your new operating system

Owners of old programs simply have problems with new Mac operating systems... none of which is Adobe's fault... Adobe did not change your old program to make it stop working... Apple changed their operating system and THAT is why your old programs won't work, not because of anything Adobe did... Also... every time Apple issues an update, there is the risk that an old program that HAS been working will STOP working... bottom line, old programs require a matching old operating system

I have seen it mentioned that an OLD version of Java must be installed to get an old program (CS6 and earlier) working with your new operating system https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_US

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am well aware that my version of Photoshop is older, as I am also aware that Apple is the theoretical culprit of my Photoshop woes. I will check the link you have provided, and do appreciate that constructive bit of input. Maybe just lose the first two paragraphs where you seem to labor under the delusion that I am technologically illiterate. I was only inquiring if there is A) a workaround or B) Adobe has an update to solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be a workaround, I hope you are lucky. There seems to be a good lead. I don’t think we’ll be so lucky in 10.15, Apple have promised that much old software will not run.

Update? Adobe stopped updating CS5 years ago. They won’t update it just because it fails on a new system, quite the opposite: their business model is to sell updates/subscriptions. Sorry if you already knew that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!! It's back to working conditions!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I just had the same issue, and it is now resolved. When starting the mac after installing mojave, the system asks if you will let photoshop control you mac (or something similar, mine is in norwegian). I said no to this, but it seems like it was what caused the crashing. Go to system preferences - security and privacy -  click accessibility, and check the box next to photoshop. You probably need to enter your password to make this change.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can also confirm karen's solution was a success. Thanks so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the fix. It's a shame there's no more standalone Photoshop since CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful! This absolutely worked. Thank you for your help. Skål from America!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thanks for the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

_photoshop.png

In case that the trick with ticking of “Allow the apps below to control your computer” (under macOS’s Security & Privacy settings in System Preferences) does not seem to work on first try, as was my case in the beginning, try this:

1. Remove „Adobe Photoshop CS5“ from the list by selecting it and then selecting the - (minus symbol) below the list.

2. Add „Adobe Photoshop CS5“ to the list again by clicking on the + (plus symbol) below the list and navigate to the Photoshop CS5.app in the Applications folder.

3. Tick the box in front of „Adobe Photoshop CS5“ in the list of “Allow the apps below to control your computer”.

After re-adding „Adobe Photoshop CS5“ to the list of apps in “Allow the apps below to control your computer” Photoshop CS5 is fully working for me again!

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/open-apps-wont-work-mojave-photoshop-368442 5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This hasn't worked for me. Apple Support tell me to "reach out" to Adobe and pass the responsibility to them even though it is the Apple upgrade causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only options you have is to revert your OS or purchase the Photography Plan for $9.99/Month

Compare plans | Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan

Photoshop CS5 is not supported any longer, so if Apple decide to break Photoshop CS5 there's not a lot Adobe can do to help you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all for trying to fix this mess with CS5 and Mojave.  I've tried various methods, including installing the update AdobePhotoshop12-4-mul-AdobeUpdate.dmg through terminal, but that didn't work.  Finally tried the Accessibility Panel, but my Photoshop installation was already checked.  By trial & error, I discovered the solution posted by RTIB above; unchecked it, then rechecked it and all is fine.  Wish I'd red further in this thread, as it would have saved me a lot of time!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - this worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!!

The “minus” - “plus” trick seemed to do the job (for now;-) ! Thumbs up for your posts here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Remove & Add from the Allow-list works! 🙂

Thanks.

After trying to toggle the permission, with no success, I removed and added PS to the list. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Removing, then re-adding CS5.1, in 'accessibility', did the trick for me, as well. Phew! Am already at the stage (Mojave 10.14.6) where I cannot upgrade, anymore, or I will lose all my beautiful Adobe apps, forever, as I simply cannot afford the extortinate requirements to get new versions. Photoshop was being a bit glitchy, recently, but it seems the last security update caused it to start crashing whenever I clicked inside it... who knows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unclicking PS, removing it and adding again worked for me. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank so much! The delete and add again in the list works for me, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one @rtlb !

This worked for me - as you, first try got nowhere but deleting & adding saved the day.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it doesn't work. I have tried it more times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the fix!!! It saved my day, I was stuck for a week.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines