• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS 5.5, TWAIN plug-in and Mac OS 10.7 Lion

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2011 Jul 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just uploaded Lion and am not at all sure whether this is a good thing. One of the issues I am having at the moment is trying to get PS to recognize my scanner. I have the latest driver (Epson) and downloaded the latest TWAIN plug-in and dropped it in the "Import and Export" folder under plug-ins. Though I can see that the plug-in loads when I start-up PS (in 32-bit mode), I cannot find it under the Import command in PS. What do I have to do to get it to work? Is anybody experiencing the same? Any suggestions are very welcome. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advisor ,
Jul 23, 2011 Jul 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestions are very welcome

if the epson application works stand alone, I would use it (and forget about scanning in photoshop)

if it doesn't work, give VUESCAN a tryout: http://www.hamrick.com/

the TWAIN scanner plugin problems have been discussed many times

try google this string:  forums.adobe.com chris cox twain plugin problem

FIRST, most scanner apps are 32-bit (and flaky in photoshop), that means you will likely have to run CS5 in 32-bit and severly limit its access to your ram (32-bit mode is limited to about 3gb, 64-bit mode it can use all you can give it)

SECOND, tie your scanner app, and keep photoshop freed up to continue working

adobe usually suggests if you want to scan in photoshop as you wish, you need to install the optional adobe twain plugin, and obtain a compatable scanner app

here is adobe (not sure if updated for LION): http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405072.html

http://www.twain.org/drivers.shtm

www.gballard.net/photoshop/TWAIN/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2011 Jul 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for help. I checked out Vuescan, and I think that may be the answer.  Was not aware that running in 32-bit had such limitations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only need to use 32 bits for scanning. You can easily reopen in 64 bits. I am using an Epson scanner with the Twain plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only do you tie up a very expensive application (Photoshop) while scanning through the TWAIN plug-in, but are you now telling us that you quit and re-launch in 32-bit mode in order to do so?

What would it take to convince you that using Photoshop to scan is the epitome of inefficiency?

Never cease to wonder about this… 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hear you.

Apparently we do not have the same objective for our scans. I've hundreds upon hundreds of film scans which I have made over 14 years with Minolta, Nikon, Epson and a few more scanners I've forgotten.

Last week I was told by a good Adobe tech that whether using 32 bits or 64 bits, the pictures in Adobe are exactly the same. 32 bits and 64 bits refers to the computer's processor and not to the quality of the pictures. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines