• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS3 re-activation failed. Please help.

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

URGENT! - Longtime user of Photoshop (since the early 90s). Bought and paid for PS CS3 and it does everything I need, until last week, when a window appeared when I launched PS and said "Temporary Activation" You have 4 days to re-activate this software." Apparently, Adobe is letting the servers that supported older versions die and activation becomes invalid.

They offer a solution, you type in your original product serial number and they issue you a new serial number which supposedly doesn't require activation. I followed every step at least three different times, uninstalling the old, restarting, downloading the new version, restarting, installing, restarting... everything.

The same message appears when I launch the new version and there is no valid option but to quit it. Any ideas? I REALLY don't want to subscribe to the Creative Cloud Photoshop as I already paid hundreds of dollars for the software when I purchased it. It should still work. But it doesn't. I run a photography business and this is sucking a LOT!

Activation.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laura,

just a few suggestions. Run the Adobe cleanup tool to ensure your system is purged of previous Adobe content.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Now install the version of CS3 that has the activation component removed. You should be in possession of a new serial number as well as the new installer. Restart the computer and start Photoshop to see if it asks for the serial. If it does not and goes into a loop, do a system search for cache.db and delete that file if found. Now try starting Photoshop and see if it requests the serial. If it does check-never register otherwise it will keep trying to reach the non-existent server. Hope it's successful this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have sadly joined this sad crew of wandering CS3 misfits.

I've done multiple installations and uninstallations of (the 'new') CS3 to no avail - there is no cache.db file for me to delete and exit the ouroboros loop of PS CS3 fustration.

Using the CCCleaner Tool, manually searching for every single Adobe file to squash, only thing left is doing a clean wipe of my PC.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, an update to the 'missing' cache.db location

Was finally led to the location by the Adobe 'chat' people to look under :

Program Files > common files

BUT

mine was located under Program FIles > Common FIles (x86) > Adobe > Adobe PCD

I deleted the cache.db file, and the re-activation with the new serial number works now!

So this solution works!

Resolve "temporary activation expired" error for CS3 and Acrobat 8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great news. Deleting the cache.db almost always solves this problem. The problem is often so many things are tried before the cache.db solution and this can totally wreck the installation and ensure the only way to solve the problem is a fresh, highly time consuming, operating system reinstall. Just to emphasise this the path to the vital file is

Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Adobe/Adobe PCD/cache/'

where program Files(x86) is depends on the volume the operating system is on -normally C: but it can be anything.However always try Program Files.   If you cannot find it do a system wide search for cache.db

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Terri

One simple thing that they forgot. Easy when you know how.

You are a star.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my pleasure Champion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there another location for this page or have adobe completely deleted everything for CS3 reactivation opportunities?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try running the Adobe CC Cleaner (works on CS too) at:

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

If the new serial number and installer are still not working, uninstall everything and try creating a new admin user and install it there. If that works, once it is activated, it should work everywhere.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, will try this too. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Unfortunately CS3 can't be activated now, Adobe took down the servers, also the "non activation" version of CS3 offered for a time is gone now.

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines