• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS4 freezes on startup

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2019 Apr 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a HP Pavilion 15-auD63nr laptop. I have been using Photoshop CS4 for years. All of a sudden when I open it up it freezes my cursor, and I have to go into task manager to close Photoshop and the cursor will work again. I am using a Wacom CTH-690K tablet. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop, I checked that my graphics card was updated with the latest driver, and it was.  I am out of ideas, and I am not very computer savvy. Thank you in advance for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the photoshop cs4 preferences and see if that makes a difference

Press and hold the Shift+Ctrl+Alt keys just after starting the launch of photoshop cs4

Keep holding the keys down until you get a dialog asking if you want to Delete the adobe photoshop settings file

(you have to be quick about pressing the keys or you won't get the dialog below)

Press Yes

reset.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using and have you done any updates to it recently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel, I am on Windows 10, any updates go in automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your tablet is plugged in all time time see if unplugging it makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DAulisio  wrote

Daniel, I am on Windows 10, any updates go in automatically.

Well, there in lies your problem. CS6 is not working that great on Windows 10, let alone CS5 and especially CS4. You are working with a very old version of Photoshop that is not configured to work with modern operating systems and has not been supported by Adobe for quite some time now. I'm guessing you recently had an update or two on your operating system, if not just upgrading to Windows 10, and that is what threw it all out of whack. You either need to downgrade your operating system, or upgrade your version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel I have no problems running CS4 under Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it does work for some people. But at some point you will have a windows update that will kill it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen with the tablet disconnected and a mouse or trackpad used in it's place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it works with your mouse and trackpad the issue has to be the tablet driver. Try getting an earlier version of the Wacom driver. Another solution may be to use the wintab.interface as that can be more compatible with CS4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Terri, I don't have a mouse so didn't try that. I only tried the trackpad. PS has been working great with this tablet for last 3 years or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try reverting back to the previous Wacom driver 6.3.32-4. It's only 3 months older than the latest one. Looking at the drivers, I see that the latest driver supports Windows 10 S which earlier ones did not. It's possible that Wacom have changed something in the driver to support the extra security features Windows 10S has and in doing so have caused your problem.

Drivers | Wacom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try rolling back your video driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines