Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS4 is a disaster

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2008 Nov 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm am just at a loss of words.

What a mess. It could not be any slower. What were you thinking Adobe?

You ripped apart the code just to add GPU support for what? To provide worse performance?

Make sure you DL the demo first... CS4 is a disaster.

The latest hardware cant even run it smoothly... Dont tell me its graphic drivers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 793 Replies 793
Jan 19, 2009 Jan 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JD,

I have both CS3 and CS4 installed to the same (C) drive, and CS3 still works fine. Like you, I must have a working copy of CS for business purposes.

Another poster here has suggested that installing programs on a different drive other than your system drive can cause problems. I've never tried it, so I wouldn't know about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is definitely inadvisable to install Photoshop anywhere but the default location on C:\.

Some people like to take control of where things are installed but, with so many dependencies on other system directories, it can often lead to malfunctions or poor performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification, JJ. I was thinking it was you who posted about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ: I have been installing Adobe apps on a separate drive for years without any problem whatsoever, never ever, never never...... ever!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually install it on a separate drive too. d:\ n my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll shut up then. I have read of problems some of which have been blamed on non-standard installations and/or moving things around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a problem on the Mac side. I haven't seen any issues at all on
the Windows side but with the 64 bit versions I think you need to be a
bit more careful.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have too. i think it's good advice for people with problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The people with problems were probably running non-NT OSes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 23, 2009 Jan 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, have been installing Photoshop (and most other programs, except utilities and Windows components) in D:\Program Files\* for years without problems. It worked fine in CS, CS2, CS3, and CS4. Some versions insisted on installing some components (e.g., Bridge) on C:, but there have been no problems with installs on a drive other than C:. There darn well ought not to be any problems, because any installer that hard-codes a C: location will fail hard on systems that don't have that location available. And while it is very common — and indeed default behavior — for a Windows install on a pristine machine to have C: be the system disk, that is far from being universal, so it is exceedingly unwise for an installer to make such an assumption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2009 Jan 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it has nearly as much to do with Vista or the video drivers or the other file updates as it has to do with a terrible code relase by Adobe with horrible QA or QA indifference. I can tell you that CS2 runs great on the same o/s and config parameters and CS4 runs terribly slow and has all the problems that users are experiencing like the Marquee tool way behind the actual mouse drag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 25, 2009 Jan 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need more than opinions to make it safely to the end of the trail, Charley.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2009 Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution by someone given a few pages back for reducing lag with the brush by selecting various OpenGL functions, reduced mine to 0 drag. Before there was huge drag, it would trail 1cm behind when I drew concentric circles, now none. I'm sooo bloody happy!!

Also tried out the retouchartists speed test: 30 seconds. Is that average?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2009 Feb 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know how current this thread is, and I've not read the entire thing, but the post on this page saying that Chris Cox says Adobe has not reproduced the ATI problem internally gives me reason to post.

CS4 on my ATI 4850 with latest drivers and 32-bit XP Pro also refreshes very poorly. After every window move, I have to zoom in and out or some other similar operation to get the window to refresh to see the contents.

If there's no repro within Adobe for this, I would be happy to provide info or video or something of this happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 12, 2009 Feb 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harry, I have the same problem with the ATI 1950X card. So far, the only thing that helps is turning off OpenGL in prefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nick: Still no solutions for you? As you might recall, I have the ATI 1950 Pro and that works well. Weird.

Anthony.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Engineer

Early next month, Adobe will be officially announcing a fix for all of the issues in this thread. The tentative release title is Adobe® Photoshop® CS5, with an expected upgrade MSRP of $199 USD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Bogus Chris Cox:Adobe Photoshop Engineer
Early next month, Adobe will be officially announcing a fix for all of the issues in this thread. The tentative release title is Adobe® Photoshop® CS5, with an expected upgrade MSRP of $199 USD.

I guess the forum doesn't check for duplicate or forged names, does it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not even close to how Chris writes. Another drive-by troll....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sux!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that didn't fool anyone!

EPIC FAIL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 13, 2009 Feb 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anthony, nope, no joy yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anthony, it appears that my earlier response to you was deleted along with the Chris Cox "imposter" posts. Anyway, nope, still no solutions.

Seems to me that the fact that you're using the same card as me (is yours AGP? Mine is.) would indicate that the card itself is not to blame. Probably more likely it's something to do with how that card interacts with CS4 and the specific combination of the rest of my hardware/software set-up.

Let's put it this way: After working with Adobe engineers, as well as the good people who populate this forum, I am not optimistic that my missing-window content problem will be solved with this release of PS.

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still sounds like a driver bug. But I don't understand why it shows reliably for some people/systems and not on others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chipset drivers, BIOS updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines