• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS4 - Not enough RAM to open a file???

Contributor ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this wonderful "Not Enough RAM" message, while trying to open a big TIF file (over 100 Mb). Till now it happened with big files that were saved in Windows. All other programs, including Photoshop CS3 opens the files just great. Resaving files in any other app helps, but this thing is a joke - I'm thinking going back to CS3... : (

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Apr 02, 2010 Apr 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me a copy of that 20 Meg TIFF file that won't open in CS4.

ccox @ adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow that's cool of you thanks. I'm curious about what you find in there.

http://www.jessehigman.com/heart/Logo_Higman_Bright.tif.zip

Jesse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesse,

Try opening this TIFF through Camera Raw.  You'll be surprised.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2010 Apr 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says that the file isn't available.

Did you delete it already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2010 May 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this same problem with a layered tif file saved out of CS3 and sent to a client who was using CS4. We were all using recent Macs with lot's of ram to spare and on both sides multiple machines were involved.   Opening the MUCH larger original psd file was no problem but opening the layered tif generated the "not enough memory" error.  Fortunately, I also use CS4 and tried to open the file which generated the same error on my end, so I was able to do some detective work.  I found that when I saved the tif with the byte order set to IBM PC it would not open, when I re-saved out of CS3 with the byte order set to Macintosh it opened just fine in CS4.  I'm not sure that this will apply to all the other post's I've read here, but it does seem to be a smoking gun pointing to a bug on Adobe's part.  Good luck all on finding your own workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I can think of for that case is a bug in the metadata written by CS3 that can't be read by CS4 or CS5 (because the metadata is corrupt).

It's rare, but can happen.

Email the file to ccox@adobe.com and I'll take a look.  We only found the problem recently, and are investigating a way to avoid it in the metadata reading code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

The files in question are 200-300 MB zipped, plus they belong to my client so I'm not really at liberty to send them to anyone.  However, I have had this happen before in CS4, that's one of the reasons I usually default to using CS3, it has never given me this problem.  I usually try to save my files to be as Windows friendly as possible, that is why I have chosen the PC byte order as a default for many years without a problem (Macs haven't cared about this setting in the past, they just opened the files).  As this doesn't happen consistently I'll try to keep my eye's open for a file I can send you, but more than likely it will be too big to email, is there somewhere I can upload to? 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact me by email, even 500 Meg isn't too large by today's net standards.  We have FTP sites, as well as services like yousendit available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 27, 2010 May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I recreated files that behave as I stated.  I saved the CS3 file as an IBM_PC byte order and also as a Macintosh byte order.  They behaved the same on multiple machines with varying configurations of processors, RAM, scratch disks, etc...  but all with standard loads of CS3 and CS4 (standard and extended).  Just need to know where you want me to send them.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Email the files to ccox [at] adobe dot com

I believe this is related to a byte order bug in part of Photoshop CS3, and won't affect all files.

I have a fix, but want to make sure that this really is the same problem that I just fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, the "out of RAM" message is wrong -- it's reading bad values from the file, and thinks that part of the metadata is over 2 gigabytes (which we can't always allocate, and thus "out of RAM").

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We are experiencing this issue as well.

We had no issue opening large TIFF files in Photoshop CS3; but PhotoShop CS4 users on a variety of Mac machines are unable to open them in CS4, they get the "Out of Memory" error.

Even on Mac Pros with 8 cores, 8 gigs of memory and a 250 GB scratch disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I saved out of CS3 I had to change the tif options (the second window when you do a "Save As" for a tif file) I'll include a screen shot to show you what I mean;

TiffOptions.png

After saving this way I have consistently been able to open my files in CS4.  I do not have a Windows version of photoshop to test on so I'm not sure how this effects anyone having this same issue on a Windows machine, but, I'm sending files to adobe as soon as I get contact info so they can look at them and hopefully figure this out. BTW, the amount of available RAM for most of these images holds little bearing on being able to open and work on them.  I have been able to open and work on (albeit slowly) much larger images on far older machines with small amounts of RAM without problem.  Also remember that due to still being 32 bit on the mac photoshop can only access a maximum of 3GB of RAM anyways.  If I heard right, we will have the opportunity to access more RAM when we have CS5 running on Snow Leopard as that is supposed to allow a 64 bit version, I think/hope.

Hope some of this helps you out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2011 Feb 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's your answer. I'm sorry that people use this forum to flame, criticize, or talk

about things they know nothing about.

Have you checked the byte order on your image? I just recreated the same problem. I did a scan, which by default created an IBM byte order Tiff. It would open fine using Adobe Photoshop Elements, but then I take it to TWO fully loaded Macs with lots of RAM, dedicated scratch disks, blah blah blah (i've been an Apple Reseller for 20 years, so I kindof know my way around) and Voila! "Cannot open file because not enough memory".

Now if you believe everything your read, you would go buy more RAM. But if common sense is applied, you can say "I have plenty of RAM, there must be another problem". If you have a 150mb file, and 2GB's for RAM, you're fine. Want to know if you have enough? Create a new file in Photoshop, and make it bigger than the file you're trying to open. Save it and reopen. Does it open? If it does, then you have plenty of RAM.

Check your TIFF setting as you're scanning, or scan as a JPEG to test. Can you place the image in another program? can you view it in preview? These are indicators that file is fine, but you just need to save the byte order from "IBM" to Macintosh.

I hope this helps.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 11, 2011 Feb 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. Thanks for the answer! Its most simple and yet comprehensive answer - I's surely not a RAM problem.

Unfortunately I cannot set a byte order for TIFFs in ACDSee32 (thats where I scan). I'll try the JPG option next time - I don't scan anything big right now.

Thanks, D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines