• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 12.1 Eventually Won't Open Files or New Documents

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing a problem with Photoshop CS5 12.1 in which, after a variable amount of time from a system restart, Photoshop will no longer open files or create new ones.  It is very difficult to search for and/or explain the nature of this problem, but I will try my best.

Photoshop behaves completely normally after a fresh reboot of Windows until this problem presents itself.

The problem has manifested itself during use and before use.  If it occurs during use, it seems that various features of Photoshop stop working.  For example: I can't save files that are open.  Photoshop will go through the motions of doing a "File > Save as...", but nothing happens on the file system.  Restarting Photoshop at this point does not resolve the problem.

If Photoshop is already in this non-functional state upon opening, files cannot be opened nor new files created.  Here is what happens during an attempt to open a file:

1. Click "File > Open..."
  2. Open dialog is shown, I browse to select a ".psd" file to open
  3. Once file is selected, click "Open" button on dialog
  4. Dialog disappears, but document never opens

If I try to use "File > New...", the New dialog never appears.

Once in this state, the only way to use Photoshop normally again is to do a full system reboot.  This seems to indicate that something is slowly happening on my system (such as RAM usage) that eventually renders Photoshop inoperable.  However, at the time of failure, there appears to be ample resources available for Photoshop to use.  It has been difficult to troubleshoot this problem beyond this point.

Please let me know if I need to clarify any of this further.

System Information Dumps:

PS Sysinfo (post failure) http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=9N53jGQC

DXDiag (post failure) http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=x5euCLqn

If it would be useful to include information from a fresh restart (pre failure), please let me know and I will provide those too.

Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

me too facing the same problem, so i tried all the tricks what you guys were discussing here. finally found out one simple trick..

before launching photoshop or illustrator i disconnected the internet. and the problem was no more. when i had to use the internet i first closed both the softwares. downloaded wat is required...and repeated the process..the prob is no more.guys check this simple trick and let me know..if it worked!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wat? what is this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same of this video.

http://screencast.com/t/kG1YgmQ7

I don't know to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see. make sure that you disconnect your internet before launching photoshop and while working in photoshop your internet should not be connected..when you want to use internet close the photoshop first. this way it worked for me..try this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What?  There's no reason to disconnect your network connection while running Photoshop...

Unless you've got some utility on your system really messing things up and it is related to network connections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

even i was surprised when it worked this way. try it..it may be helpful to you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't help me, because we've never seen this problem - and we don't know what it is on your machine that causes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Internet isn't the problem.

I solved the problem. It was the keyboard.

unplugging the keyboard everything works very well.

Try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One wonders how you typed that message...

Francesco, are you making jokes?

Unplugging the power cord from the wall, the number of errors the computer makes drops to zero.

Try it.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started experiencing this same issue and had a thought that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet, so thought I'd mention it for others to try.

In my case I tried to think of anything I had done differently within the last few days and I remembered leaving my dual monitor screen attached to my laptop when I shut it down which I never do (always disconnect it first).

Could have absolutely nothing to do with it, but I disconnected the monitor, powered off, and back on again without the extended monitor plugged in, started photoshop, and then plugged the monitor in. Working fine so far, but that's to be expected from everyone else's experience (only happens after running for a certain amount of time).

So, I'll report back if things seem stable again after a week or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2013 Nov 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop works fine with the new keyboard. The old keyboard was in conflict with the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 20, 2014 Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem too with CS6, nothing could fix it.  Reinstalling Adobe and drivers, wiping registry, beta nVidia gpu drivers, did nothing I had dual 680 GTX card on SLI.  Then recently I went back to single GPU with a new nVidia card and my problem went away or did not occurred since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon. The problem still persist and it actually happening in an other computer with totally different hardware.  It seems thought, that my problem occur when I intensively use the printscreen key to capture screenshots as my project just like before I installed my new card, require me to take a lot of screenshots of games I am testing. It appear to be a problem with Adobe and clipboard.  I tried to purge the clipboard but no effect.  The weird thing is the clipboard works well for other programs like Gimp. There's no way I know to kill that thing that corrupt Photoshop from all the methods I tried. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there is still no answer for that issue? I have the same problem - tried on Windows 7 Photoshop CS6, now I'm on Windows 10 and Photoshop CC 2015 and still the same thing! Guys! Come on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are multiple answers in this topic - depending on which third party application, utility, or plugin is causing the problem on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea but non of them are the cure. Fresh system, fresh instalation of Photoshop…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, this is a clear bug or issue with Photoshop that needs to be hunted down and fixed.  This happens to both my brother and I, on different versions of Photoshop, and completely different hardware configurations.  I do not accept telling people to "run this generic system cleaner" as an official fix.  The best temporary fix is to just simply restart the PC.  I'm pretty certain it's something to do with how Photoshop utilizes the video cards software/hardware acceleration within the video card drive as this bug has survived through multiple re-installations of Windows (from Windows 7, to Windows 10), and several different versions of the graphics driver, as well as different video cards from both AMD and Nvidia.  It's a cockroach.  Please escalate this thread to your software developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far this has always been caused by third party software. Also, it was only seen by a few users and not seen by the other millions of Photoshop users.

So, indications are that this is not a bug in Photoshop at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Guys, this was solved in another thread:

Re: Can't Create/Open new File - Photoshop CC

Open up photoshop when it's bugged out, and hit Ctrl + Pause(Break)  (it's normally next to Print Screen).

I hope with this revelation, Chris can get this issue fixed. Had this issue for 5+ years on 4 PCs, and it's finally gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines