Highlighted

Photoshop CS5 all menus grayed out

Explorer ,
May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop file after working on image all the menus go grayed out. Able to save file but can not select any menus. After you save the image quit and then reopen file works fine. This has happened 5 times today.

Tried the file in CS3 Photoshop and have not had this problem

Imac G5 2 GHz Intel Core Creative Suite Master Collection.

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop CS5 all menus grayed out

Explorer ,
May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop file after working on image all the menus go grayed out. Able to save file but can not select any menus. After you save the image quit and then reopen file works fine. This has happened 5 times today.

Tried the file in CS3 Photoshop and have not had this problem

Imac G5 2 GHz Intel Core Creative Suite Master Collection.

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you reproduce this after restarting Photoshop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I quit photoshop and reopen the menus get grayed out after working on the photoshop image for about 10 minutes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try and get a screen recording of what you're doing prior to this problem occurring? (Jing is a free screen capture program) start screen recording after you restart and stop it once the issue occurs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could a few people who sees this problem regularly please go to Help -> System Info..., and email us the text from that?

We'd like to see what plugins are installed and get a few more details.

Email it to ccox [at] adobe {dot} com , thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I'm having the same issue. I just installed CS5 a few days ago (CS3 is still installed). I'll send you the System Info... output here shortly, and I'm a programmer, so I'll be happy to do any debugging you might need.

--Dan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use anything from File > Scripts or File > Automate before this problem started happening?

Do you have any CS3 or CS4 plugins installed into CS5?  Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the system info logs I've gotten:  there are no third party plugins installed.

(Irina sent her message just before talking to me 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing at all. So far I have not had the problem in the last couple

of days

Rick

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, nothing was run from File->Scripts or File->Automate, and as Chris said, no 3rd-party plugins are installed.

This only occurs with one particular file that I've been working with for the past week. It occurs immediately after I SAVE the file (regardless of whether I hit CMD-S, choose Save from the File menu, or close the file and answer Yes when it asks me if I want to save changes. It occurs regardless of the changes I make to the file. It can be as simple as turning on or off a layer of just clicking into a text layer.

Rick, do you remember what file you were working on when you were having this problem? If so, can you please open that same file, make a small change, save it, then see if the menus go gray after saving it?

--Dan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, this can be reproduced.  I have PS CS5 Print One Copy and Print going gray with a 4 MB file.  Upon restart, it comes in black (active) once, then goes gray again.  This is a nasty high priority bug, and Adobe released this product? Sloppy QA.  Microsoft-like.  I've been using Photoshop for over 20 years since the earliest versions.

I'm certainly not paying for "tech support" on a bug.  On a trial version?

And what is the Window > Arrange > Float All in Windows nonsense of having to choose that function, which used to be the default.  This is stupid beyond belief. Who works on just one PS file at a time? This is a knucklehead change from my CS3 version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The disabled menus problem happens with slower drives/machines. It will be fixed in an update in the very near future.

You can disable tabbed documents in Photoshop's preferences:

Preferences>Interface...

Uncheck "Open Documents as Tabs" and "Enable Floating Document Window Docking"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's a couple of years old but is  a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM really condsidered a "slow drive" these days? What should I be looking at upgrading to?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martinbay,

Your two last posts are totally blank.

That happens often when users attempt to reply or post through email rather than the web interface.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

martinbay wrote:

Sloppy QA.  Microsoft-like.

Oh, now that was a low blow. Insults are uncalled for.

Seriously though, this is hardly the kind of bug that any programmer or QA dept would have even imagined. For something this wacky to happen just because a file is being saved to a relatively slow hard drive? No one could have foreseen even the possibility of such an oddball bug. That's just the way it goes sometimes, especially with huge applications like Photoshop.

Sam Breach wrote:

I know it's a couple of years old but is  a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM really condsidered a "slow drive" these days? What should I be looking at upgrading to?

Yes, Sam, it wouldn't matter if your laptop were only two weeks old, laptops always use very slow hard drives to reduce both power consumption and heat, that's just one of the tradeoffs you make when you choose a laptop instead of a desktop.

What should you be looking to upgrade to? Well, there does happen to be a high-spead option for laptops today that was not available when you got your laptop a couple of years ago: solid state drives (SSD), which are now an option (albeit expensive) in MacBook Pros. They are amazingly fast.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is quite an old issue, but it happened to me with the very last version (20.0.1): all menus grayed out, even short cuts not work (ex Ctrl J to duplicate layer)!

When I uncheck "Open Documents as Tabs" and "Enable Floating Document Window Docking", its works fine (but not very practical workspace !

After having opened the file with these options unchecked, I could edit it. If I go to Window>Arrange>Consolidate All to Tabs, the issue is back again (grayed menus and shortcuts inactive, Ctrl J for example)

From time to time, if I restart the computer, it works normally - quite annoying !

One more thing, if I open the same file with the release 19.1.7, it works just fine

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Seems like Adobe is doing the same mistakes after 8 years. Thanks, strl94

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LucasCavalheiro  wrote

Same here. Seems like Adobe is doing the same mistakes after 8 years. Thanks, strl94

What version of Photoshop do you have and if it's 20.0.1 are you opening images from Lightroom first

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ged+Traynor  escreveu

LucasCavalheiro   wrote

What version of Photoshop do you have and if it's 20.0.1 are you opening images from Lightroom first

Photoshop 20.0.1

Lightroom 8.0

And, yes, sending RAWs from LR to PS with this settings

TIFF

AdobeRGB

16bit

ZIP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There is a known issue with opening images from Lightroom into PS, the workaround is to have Photoshop opened first, Adobe are currently working on a fix.

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the issue opening images from Lightroom into PS. The workaround I have found to work is the same that was suggested in 2010 in this thread. If I uncheck open documents in tabs in my PS preferences, all menus seem to work as expected. I can launch and open a photo in PS from Lightroom normally.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same exact problem, and I believe I notice it after saving a file. It doesn't happen EVERY time I save, but it has happened enough times for me to be awfully annoyed. I have to save all files (cmd +s) and completely QUIT the program to get it to work again.

Keyboard short cuts work, but all menu options are greyed out. I do not have any third party plug ins installed nor have I made modifications.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please delete preferences on launch by holding down Cmnd+Opt+Shift, and try to reproduce this issue afterwards? Does it still happening?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. Preferences have been deleted, but the problem still occurs.

It only occurs on this one file ((I've sent the file to Chris Cox and Jeff Transberry if you'd like to try it yourself. They couldn't replicate it even with that same file.) Other files I can open and save and everything is fine.

It always occurs right after I save this one file, regardless of whether I use CMD-S, choose from the menu, or close the file and answer "Yes" when it asks if I want to save it.

When it gets into this state neither menus nor keyboard shortcuts work. To quit Photoshop I have to right click on its Dock icon and choose Quit from there.

--Dan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We would appreciate if any of you could get a screen recording of this problem for us, so we could see what was done prior to this problem started occurring... Please use Jing (http://www.jingproject.com/download/) for this purpose. Thanks a lot for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan, I was finally able to repro in-house with your file. The key was saving to a sufficiently slow drive to bring up a progress bar for the save command. We're working on determining the exact cause and a fix. Thanks for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear, Jeff. Yeah, I'm on a laptop, so it's a fairly slow drive. And it's a large file with tons of layers, so I see the progress bar for a long time when I save it.

--Dan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan, excellent. Thanks again for the help and feedback.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(and, of course, I'm testing on 8 core MacPros and rarely see a progress bar...)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you getting a progress bar dialog while saving prior to problem started happening?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on a solution for this - I just bought CS5 a few days ago and need to print out the file I am working on urgently but all I get are the greyed out menus. Very frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're working on an update. You should be able to use keyboard shortcuts until you're able to restart Photoshop to correct the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This won't solve to problem but I always proof from a file to the exact size of my final print flatten and reduce the 240 ppi

I then name it with the letter p t the end proceeded by the measurements like 8511 for 8.5 x 11.

This will actually save you ink and a lot of time spooling to your printer, since flattening won't save change your colors and the resolution will not effect the quality of the print you lose nothing but a small amount of hard drive space. Also did you try doing a save as instead of a save. If it is really complicated and is a large file as you say then doing a save as on your unit, I assume a laptop is going to help were as a save is only going to add to the problem each time you do a save.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, happened today twice. I have unibody macbook pro with 8mb ram and 2.93 processor, wouldn't say that my machine is slow. Moreover i can't zoom in with the shortcut CMD + is not working, but CMD - is working fine. Had to quit and reopen the application. As I understand there is no solution for this issue. Personally, wouldn't say that its a major problem which pisses me off, but closing down and reopening everything is a bit irritating. Did you guys track the bug in the code?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to 12.0.1, please.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

martinbay,

Your posts are blank, there's absolutely no text in them.

It happens often to users who attempt to use email to participate in the forums instead of accessing the web interface directly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yet another totally blank post by martinbay:

Adobe_forums_blank_posts.jpg

Click on thumbnail

Try the web interface at:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_macintosh#

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Update to 12.0.1, please.

Thank you Chris. The 12.0.1 update did it for me. I see what was happening: during a slow save when the progress bar is displayed the menus are disabled, then apparently they just weren't being ENabled after the save was finished. Must have been a relatively simple fix.

Thanks a lot for fixing it so quickly.

--Dan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pointing out my blank posts.  Why have they been blank? The email generated by Jive Software indicates you can go back to the blog thread or reply via email.  Doing the latter generates a blank post.  Following the thread requires that you do another login if you have left Jive (appropriately branded). If you do not login again, the "reply" link does not appear.  Single sign on is a big issue and typical requirement at Fortune 500's.  So is having to repeatedly login.

As I understand it, the menu gray out issue will be addressed in an update. But if a relatively new iMac is too SLOW to use PS CS5, that is an Adobe issue, not an Apple hardware one.  This isn't 1994, when software upgrades virtually required power users to upgrade their hardware.

-- Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pointing out my  blank posts.  Why have they been blank? The email generated by Jive  Software indicates you can go back to the blog thread or reply via  email.  Doing the latter generates a blank post.  Following the thread  requires that you do another login if you have left Jive (appropriately  branded). If you do not login again, the "reply" link does not appear.   Single sign on is a big issue and typical requirement at Fortune 500's.   So is having to repeatedly login.

As I understand it, the menu gray  out issue will be addressed in an update. But if a relatively new iMac  is too SLOW to use PS CS5, that is an Adobe issue, not an Apple hardware  one.  This isn't 1994, when software upgrades virtually required power  users to upgrade their hardware.

-- Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you have duplicate posts.

And the 12.0.1 update already addressed this issue.

It isn't that the machines are slow, but that a bug in the handling of the progress bar caused the problem.

Most people never even see the progress bar, so they don't see the problem. But if you have a slow system or a slow hard disk, or a really long operation - you will see the progress bar more often.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr Cox, thank you for the stating the obvious about my duplicate posts.  You addressed nothing in my post.  Duplicate explanation: I experienced a high severity bug on the copy/paste function involving my index finger.  The difference is that I'm neither selling my finger as a market leader software tool nor offering it as a trial product before effective QA is complete.  The fix is in this message.

The menu gray out bug should have been addressed pre-release of PS CS5.  While I own the CS3 Suite, I downloaded a free trial or PS CS5, so the 12.0.1 update will not help me to the extent 30 days have just passed.

I've heard about my iMac being "too slow," and experienced UI issues with immature Jive blog software.    If you Adobe employees cannot be constructive on these matters, don't comment.  I know at least 5 publications that would take this Photoshop bug story and run with it.  Do you know what, "For Immediate Release" means?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does it mean?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The menu gray out bug should have been addressed pre-release of PS CS5.

Yes, if someone had a reproduceable case of the problem during beta testing, we would have fixed it then.  But the only person to report the problem during beta tested replaced his machine right after reporting the problem, and never saw the problem again.

We only managed to reproduce the problem at Adobe a few weeks before the dot release shipped.    It was not a trivial or obvious bug.

So, once we knew that there was a real problem and were able to reproduce it - we fixed it and delivered an update with the fix as soon as we could.

So, what more are you asking us to do?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the post, Chris. Although you're up to speed on the bug, at least one other Adobe employee who replied to my original post was not.

No user wants to have a bug experience blamed on their hardware, albeit years ago that was a possibility.  I was the Director, Product Management for Fox Interactive/NBCUni's Hulu.com, and QA was under my umbrella.  That said, few software tools are as complex as Photoshop.

What more? For anyone who had the PS trial version and spent over an hour restarting, looking for workarounds or commenting here re the bug, how about an extension on the 30 day trial? I was actually working with PS CS5 for a site. In any event, I'll be buying it sooner rather than later.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you know that Chris could not do this even he wanted to and for someone that has worked for such a big firm as NBC you should perhaps know better.

Would you lie to hear about the run arounds I got from NBC?

Not being fair is not what a good policy often though being fair is not a criteria for getting a position of authority at NBC or nay of the networks.

Asking freelance people to do work and then claiming they never hired them to do so and here is yet another example of a professional complainer looking for an excuse for something for nothing.

In other words you tell a really sad story but what you really want is something for nothing. I won't be surprised if you did not upgrade. Even if you got ten extensions of time on the trial.

Have a nice day.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade, sounds like NBCuni may have really done a number on you.  Sorry to hear that.  I worked for Fox Interactive Media, not NBCUni.  I liked my Hulu tech team from NBCUni, but I have other views about NBCUni IT culture that I cannot talk about due to a brief -- and unpleasant-- consulting experience.

(I didn't have the time to run PS CS5 though its paces.  Note I bought previous PS verisons going back 15 years, as well as other Adobe products for personal and professional use, specifying Adobe Product Suites or specific products for company purchases for up to 15 seats at a time).

I will upgrade soon.  Photoshop has no competition.

A sad story from me? No.  Sounds like you have a sad story.   I don't want"something for nothing."  You misread badly, and appear to  have an axe to grind. I doubt you speak for Chris. 

Good luck in your freelance career.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

martinbay wrote:

Thank you for pointing out my blank posts.  Why have they been blank?…

Because Jive software is cr@p.  Period.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wo Tai Lao Le,

Thank you for confirming what I suspected.  I called jive "immature."  It behaves like an Open Source product -- a work in progress.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really martinbay.

I found my experiences with the networks were all very amusing. I listened to them and they showed me their capabilities and they tried butno saop I had other things more important to do.

For instance I do some pro bono work for a theater group that was without any funds at all. I needed some funds for the type which costs about $52.00
at the time I had to meet some executives from ABC as they were paying for the art and production costs. The meeting according to the people present was between to executive vice presidents and the president of ABC. For $52.00 worth of type. In the end their art department supplied me with the type.

Not all bad we met at the courthouse which they used as a theater and while waiting John Cassavetes and Peter Falk walk in and sit one on each side of me. They were I think looking for money as well.No not really they were friends of the director of the theater.

So it was not al a bad experience.

NBC was amusing you are right FOX I never was directly involved with though i may somewhere along the line.

I never lost any money and may have made a little mostly indirectly. So I was just pushing the issue that Photoshop CS 5 is a very responsive application and though there may be a bug or two or three the transition to 64 bit is wonderful and people like Chris Cox and the others who have come to the forum so frequently lately have done a wonderful job and show a great sense of responsiveness to the small issues.

I know I thought a couple of things were major screw ups on their part and am pleased to have learnt that it was my error and not theirs. Actually their good work was a vast improvement in my workflow.

And I apologize to you if I made it seem, and I did, that i was angry and had an axe to grind.

Have a great day.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

martinbay wrote:

Wo Tai Lao Le,

Thank you for confirming what I suspected.  I called jive "immature."  It behaves like an Open Source product -- a work in progress.

It's actually obsolete software, not a work in progress.  Adobe decided to go with a substantially older version of the software at discounted prices rather than the current one at full price.  Adobe also chose not to pay for a customer support service contract and decided to go with the free support at the Jive forums.  It has been openly documented at the Adobe "forum comments" forum and in the public discussions at the Jive forum.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jive used here is an old version... I stand corrected.  So there's no 'go forward.' Adobe employees, any comments?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try posting here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments?view=discussions&start=0

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines