Photoshop CS5 all menus grayed out

Photoshop file after working on image all the menus go grayed out. Able to save file but can not select any menus. After you save the image quit and then reopen file works fine. This has happened 5 times today.

Tried the file in CS3 Photoshop and have not had this problem

Imac G5 2 GHz Intel Core Creative Suite Master Collection.

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Re: Photoshop CS5 all menus grayed out

Thank goodness for these forums! I had the same menu issue and the update did it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Where the EFF Is the UPDATE for this Gray out bug?  I need it asap .. Photoshop CS5 grayed out on me and failed to save my work even after I hit command S. Thank you adobe for severly cutting into my productivity.  And FYI Toon boom is better then Flash.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Never mind found it update to 12.0.1 patch here http://www.macworld.com/article/152482/2010/07/photoshop_1201.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Or, in Photoshop, you can go to "Updates..." in the Help menu and Adobe Application Manager will download and install the latest update for you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Dan at Power wrote:

Or, in Photoshop, you can go to "Updates..." in the Help menu and Adobe Application Manager will download and install the latest update for you.

Yes, if you're lucky.

The auto updater is often broken in one way or another.  This has been the situation for many years already,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I get menu's gray out all the time..

I find if you save something you then can't quit.. I find hitting F5 twice brings the menus back to life..

I also don't see an image in the thumbnail in layers..

if you open the sharpening dialog (say Smart sharpen) the preview doe not update unless you click on it. even then it does not always update in real time.

If I run nik silver efex it creates the black and white image layer but stays B&W. If you minimise then maximise the window it then updates to B&W.

I wish I'd stuck with CS4.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Update to 12.0.1 to correct this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

i already did.

still the same.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I am having the same problem with Content aware fill....did it yesterday fine and now the option is greyed out....tried saving and reopening but does not work.

Does anyone know another way of removing an object from an image and filling the background to make one image??? I am still really new to photoshop.

all good....i just had to rasterize the image and it worked again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi. I'm having the same problem. I have a relatively small file with just three layers. I am unable to even save. All menu options are grayed out. I'm only three layers in so it's not that big a deal to start over, I was just wondering if there was a way around it for next time.  Thanks!

PS: hlwadell -- I haven't used content aware fill much as it never seems to work right for me. I typically use a combination of clone-stamp, patch, and opacity levels to copy over an area and then blend it. Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi there,

Am having similar issues with PS5, I get the colour settings in the print area grayed out and have been on the phone to Adobe for too long and then they tell me it's Apple's problem and they then tell me it's Adobe problem. Apple said clear the cache which resolved the problem and then it came back straight after. Somebody out there must know the solution. Regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hello! Did you update to 12.0.1?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Am having similar issues with PS5, I get the colour settings in the print area grayed out...

That's a different issue. You should start a new topic with a more detailed description. If it is what I think (and I may be wrong) you are just seeing a change in behavior in the print dialog when you have selected Photoshop to manage your color when printing. If you choose for the printer to manage the conversion, the regular color setting should become available.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Re: Photoshop CS5 Printsettings grayed out

Time to be more specific and thanks for the recent comments. This is to do with accessing the color management options for the printer driver from the Print Settings dialog box. The Color and Color settings are grayed out. I am on the latest upgrade 12.02 Cheers JP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

What version of the OS and what printer and version of the printer driver are you using?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Did you read post 63?

This is a different issue than the thead topic. I believe you are just seeing a behavior change that happens in Snow Leopard and CS5; if Photoshop is chosen to manage color conversion when printing, the color options in the print dialog are grayed-out on purpose to prevent a user from accidentally double profiling.

You can check this by choosing the printer to manage the color and see if the color options reappear. If not, then start a new thread.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi Tom,

Using 10.6.5 and Epson v.3.09

All the best

JP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Which printer? Generally when this is happening with Epsons, it's for one of 2 reasons:

1- Old drivers or other printer drivers interfering with new ones

2- Having the new driver but not installing the Common Updater

The solution is to remove the printer from the system prefs then go to /Library/Printers/EPSON/ and remove everything. Now go to Epson's site and download the latest driver and the Common Updater. Install the driver and then the updater. If you have more than one Epson printer installed be aware that they might not all be compatible with each other in terms of software, installing the common updater for one may cause other Epson printers to stop working correctly (generally an issue using older and newer printers on the same Mac).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi Tom,

I have an Epson Pro 4000 and thanks for this I will give that a go tomorrow.

All the best

JP

Jonathan Pollock

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

The latest they have posted is:

Macintosh Operating Systems

Common Updater v5.00

Macintosh OS X (v10.4.11 - v10.5.x), Intel-based Macs with OS X (v10.4.11 - v10.6.x)

epson14179.dmg - 29MB - posted on 01/05/11

Printer Driver v8.19

Intel-based Macs with OS X (v10.5.x - 10.6.x), PowerPC Macs with OS X (v10.5 - 10.5.x)

epson13908.dmg - 30.2MB - posted on 06/16/10

<http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=30901&prodoid=37368463&infoType=Downloads&platform=Macintosh>

3.08 was for 10.4, so that's definitely going to be issue. Apple went to all CUPS printer drivers in 10.5 and has made even a few more changes in 10.6.

-Tom

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

For me - saving - rebooting - re-opening worked (but that is in Photoshop 2019 cc)

I do not know if that is relevant.

Plus - I had that issue coming from lightroom.

J

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines