Photoshop CS5 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 Crash

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2010 Jun 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My specifications:

Photoshop CS5 (x64)

Windows 7 x64

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 (latest v197.45 driver)

Intel i7 920 2.67 GHz

My card is listed as a tested card for CS5 and NVIDIA says this is compatible with CS5, but today after using it, my screen went blank and the display driver recovered itself. It took about 5 minutes until Photoshop CS5 became responsive again and the GPU features were disabled. I am going to try GPU advanced mode and basic mode instead of normal mode to see what happens, but this is a shame that I have issues like this. I also had issues with CS4 like this.

What I did to cause this issue: I clicked" Place.." to place an object and that is when it crashed. It only happens randomly as I use Photoshop. Please NVIDIA or Adobe fix this issue. I love the GPU features and I want to run them, but this crashing is annoying for spending so much on buying this product. I hate to have to pay to contact Adobe technical support, it should be included with the purchase of software!

How to fix this without having to go to basic GPU mode or disabled GPU mode?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 20, 2010 Dec 20, 2010

Well my crashing started coming back with the latest drivers even with the registry tweak and even with OpenGL turned off all the way. I was going to start using Gimp but decided to do one last search and then found this thread: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=179747&st=20

Holy cow, thanks to this thread I fixed the problem! This idea of the card downclocking itself and others' related power issues led me to this fix: go to NVIDIA Control Panel --> Manage 3D Settings --> Global S

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the text from the crash report (telling you which module crashed)?

It sounds like you're describing a hang or freeze, not a crash.

My card is listed as a tested card for CS5 and NVIDIA says this is compatible with CS5, but today after using it, my screen went blank and the display driver recovered itself. It took about 5 minutes until Photoshop CS5 became responsive again and the GPU features were disabled

That means that there is a problem with the video card itself, or the driver.

Have you updated the driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had the issues already in PS CS4 (or any other app using OpenGL for that matter), the blame goes to the card itself and the driver. Crashes such as you describe them usually point to issues with cooling in the card or your system's power supply being to weak to feed the card with enouugh "juice" - when things get demanding, the card revs up, but then fails due to overheating or low voltage. You may also have a problem with your PCI timing and the motherboard's TurboBoost and power management settings.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same gfx card and have been experiencing the same issue for some time. For me the problem is not confined to Photoshop however. I've had this crop up when using ZBrush and when playing games, among others.

Many people have told me that it's probably a driver issue but I have the latest drivers and the problem persists. I've tried reinstalling my system from scratch, getting new drivers for all my components etc but to date nothing has worked.

I found a thread on the Nvidia forums site in which an extremely frustated person was having the same issue with the same card (sorry... don't have the link right now. I'll try to find it). Nobody there seemed to know what was causing the issue but a lot of people thought it was 'unlikely' that the gfx card was the culprit. Including myself this is the third instance I've encountered of someone having this issue with this card so I'm inclined to think that it might be a card issue.

The annoying thing is that now, whenever something goes wrong with any of my software packages I can never really be sure if it's the software... or somehow related to my gfx card issue.

Sorry if my response isn't that informative but I really hope you find a solid solution because it will really help me too.

Good luck.

S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is a crash but it's a crash of the video card driver. Photoshop froze because Windows was forced to restart your video card driver. Try running Furmark* for a few minutes, if it gives errors then it's probably a hardware problem (overheating most likely). If it runs for some 5 minutes without any problems then it's most likely a video card driver problem so try installing some older drivers. As an aside, if you were using XP then your whole system would have crashed as only vista/7 can restart the video card driver on the fly.

* http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not get a crash report. Maybe this was not a program crash, but a display driver crash.

It seems like this problem is confined to Photoshop for me so far. It could be the OpenGL drivers. It just stinks that this card is listed as tested, but it causes these issues. Do I have to buy the new NVIDIA GTX 480 just to "fix" the problem?

I am glad that I am not the only one with this frustrating problem with the GTX 295. I have v197.45 which is the latest NVIDIA driver. My computer was built by Alienware so the power supply has got to be good enough at 750 watts. At idle, my whole computer with the monitor is taking about 311 watts. I could play games at full graphic settings (DiRT and Just Cause 2) for hours with no problems. Actually Just Cause 2 did crash to my desktop once, but I did not get a display driver recovered message. It could be just a game bug.

I have clean installed Windows 7 x64 recently.

I have a feeling that the fact that this GTX 295 is two cards in one may be the issue. I read on an Adobe support article that two video cards running may cause issues. I checked the NVIDIA control panel settings and there is an NVIDIA profile for CS4 and CS5 with the optimal settings. If I keep having the issue, I will try forcing it to run in Single GPU mode to see if it fixes the issue.

I ran FurMark and this is a scary test! My GPU went to 103 C and the maxium on NVIDIA is 105 C! I stopped it before damage is done. My computer did not crash though. My room is currently 81.8 degrees F and 22% humidty. Air conditioning does not work well enought for my room.The computer is too hot.

Anybody ever tried forcing to Single GPU mode with the GTX 295?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just stinks that this card is listed as tested, but it causes these issues.

We are at the mercy of the drivers.

We tested the card with the current drivers, but that doesn't mean that older or newer drivers will always work correctly.

Nor does it mean that everyone will have a working card (we've seen plenty of defective cards).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2010 Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think thanks to FurMark and video games, I know that my video card is not defective (I hope). It could be the newer drivers.  Chris Cox, what driver version did you test with?

It would be nice to be able to use the latest drivers in the future so that I have the driver fixes for the latest video games. Does anybody at Adobe or NVIDIA have this card and experience this issue while working in Photoshop CS5 or CS4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we have a couple of those cards in use, but we have not seen a crash.

I'd have to go search everyone's machines to find all the driver versions in use.  But they were probably current as of 2 months ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just used Photoshop CS5 in Advanced mode with the default NVIDIA control panel settings, with no issue for about 30 minutes. It seems to only happen after a few hours of working with Photoshop. Maybe a GPU memory leak? I have no idea. Were these cards tested during long Photoshop CS5 sessions while using it normally like zooming in and out, etc.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do all kinds of testing, including long sessions.

Our beta testers do even longer testing (keep the build running for weeks).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're going to have to contact NVidia and get their help resolving this.

It may be specific to something on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Alienware Aurora that is only a few months old.  I have a GTX 260. I am running Windows 7 64 bit.   I am experiencing these crashes myself.  It has to be the videocard/drivers.  I was having this issue with Photoshop CS2 and this computer.  I just moved to CS5 and got the same random crash yesterday  With CS2 the driver would crash but recover.   With CS5 the driver crashed and didn't recover.

I have never had these problems in all the years I have been using Photoshop.  There is nothing wrong with the computer itself. I am not experiencing crashes with other programs. The old computer I was using is running Windows 7 32 bit.  I did not have any problems with Photoshop on that computer. I was running a GeForce 9800GT.   I conclude that the problem is specific to a certain family of NVIDIA cards behaving poorly with Win 7 64 bit and Photoshop.  I have tried all the solutions suggested and my drivers are current.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed the instructions that Zeno Bokor has given to me for using Driver Sweeper and so far Photoshop CS5 has not crashed on me, but I have not been using Photoshop intensely yet. I will report to see if I continue to be stable or not.

It has crashed and I am trying to see if single GPU and single display performance mode works. This is frustrating. I wonder if we, who have a similar problem, have defective cards.

Message was edited by: GargantulaKon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing with Photoshop and the video card drivers is that Photoshop hasn't been using them for a long time whereas Ati/Nvidia have had plenty of experience testing games for video card driver problems.

Try wiping your drivers completely: uninstall them, restart into Safe Mode, run DriverSweeper* to get rid of all the remains of the display drivers and then install some new drivers. Feel free to also try older drivers if it still happens with the newest versions

* http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2010 Jun 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same frustrating problem. I've tried changing the OpenGL settings within photoshop with no luck. This would also happen to me on CS4.

My card is a GeForce GTX 260 with the 197.45 drivers

I just updated my drivers to 257.21 and it happened again. Turning  OpenGL settings from normal to basic doesn't help at all.

I'm going to turn OpenGL off and see if that helps.

I should also note that I play a lot of 3d games and never have a problem with this card and I also used to have a ATI card (actually two in crossfire) and the same thing would happen in CS4.

Also my system is Windows 7 x64 running the 64-bit version of Photoshop CS5. In order to help narrow this down let's try to list our specs like this:

Card Model: Geforce GTX 260

Driver: 197.45, 257.21

Photoshop: 64-bit

UPDATE: i turned off all OpenGL and the crashes happen less frequently and when they do the recovery is instant but they still do happen from time to time which makes me think the problem isn't necessarily with OpenGL but compounded by it.

I'm not gong to be installing all types of differnt old drivers and doing trial and error since I find the idea of that depressing. If anyone has any luck with different drivers please let us know. I'm going to start fiddling with things in the nvidia control panel now to see if that helps.

This would be a lot easier if windows threw out some more specific error messages when the video card crashes.

Message was edited by: binstar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2010 Jun 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain.  NVIDIA FX3800

card for me cause the same problem.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/660078?tstart=60

It would be good if Adobe could state exactly which drivers they used to test.  That way, I could use that driver without problem.

I love Photoshop but I can't use it for more than a few seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2010 Jun 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NVIDIA has released new v257.21 video card drivers on 06/15/2010 that state that it supports the Adobe CS5 suite. I am now trying it to see if the crashes go away. I suggest anybody with the issue try the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck, huh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem here! My card is a GTX 260. And I'm experiencing overheating problem while using Photoshop CS5. My GPU hits 80 degree and if I dont restart my computer and start playing a game it's hits 100+ degrees. I'm sure it's because Photoshop. Formatted my computer it was working well until I install CS5. And CS4 has same problem. I basicly tried everything I even tried disable CUDA. I contacted manufacturer of my card but that doesn't solve anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to contact NVidia.  Something about the driver for that card is causing it to overheat when using relatively simple OpenGL commands from Photoshop (not even as demanding as a game!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2010 Jul 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SUCCESS!

After trying the latest nvidia drivers (257.21) and still getting the crash I decided to try one last search to see what I came up with. I didn't think this fix would work but I'm currently using Photoshop CS5 x64 with OpenGL enabled (set to Normal but just switched to Advanced) and no crashes so far. I't been up for a few hours where normally I'd get the crash at least within 30-45 minutes.

My solution came from here: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-Nvlddmkm-Error/step6/Solution-5-Changing-the-time-before-it-resets/

1. Goto registry editor (start -> run -> regedit)
2. Navigate  yourself to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlGraphicsDrivers (make  sure GraphicsDrivers is highlighted).
3. Right click -> New ->  DWORD (32-bit) value -> Name it: TdrDelay -> double click it  -> Set it to A (hexadecimal) or 10 (decimal).

I thought 10 was a little high to start with (especially since i didn't think it would work anyway) so I set mine to 6 (decimal). No reboot was necessary for me.

Please leave a note here if this solution works or doesn't work for you so that others can potentially save themselves the effort of trying to get to the bottom of this issue.

UPDATE: I've been using Advanced OpenGL for the past 2 days and have not had one crash yet.

It's nice to be able to use Photoshop and not be paranoid about when it's going to crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been watching this one intently for more than a couple of days now to see if this has helped more than one individual.

Anyone else?

I'm working with someone having frequent (every hour to hour and a half) "Video Hardware Error" reported by Windows 7 64-bit using an NVIDIA GTX 260 video card using the 257.21 drivers.  His computer never has any problems (this problem) except when using Photoshop. This would occur occasionally with Photoshop CS3, but is becoming intolerable with Photoshop CS5.

We are about to also try going to the brand new 258.96 drivers. We hope that alone works, as we really don't feel real comfortable making Registry Edits - especially when we aren't real sure what we are changing.

Any idea what chaning this registry value to 10 (decimal), or even 6 (decimal) is really doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using dual GTX 295's -- I  ***USED*** to have this problem -- about 2-3 months ago -- but it went away with the last NVIDIA driver update.  It was an NVIDIA driver update that fixed this problem with me.

It happened most often when I was using my WACOM pen-tablet and had the pen depressed for some time.

I occassionally have unexplained glitches after a few hours of editing -- like brushes getting stuck with options turned on, or lagging performance of the brush image following the brush.  But find -- usually, that saving my work (why doesn't Photoshop have a autosave function like every other sane editing program?  -- presuming photoshop hasn't gone non-responsive), exiting and restarting, "fixes" the problem. 

I'm surprised to see people saying they still have this problem.  I *did* have it...it was annoying.  But rare enough I could deal....then with the driver update it went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With my own problems and a keen observer of this thread it making me think that I should stay away from Nvidia cards cards completed and go ATI

??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines