Photoshop CS5 freezes

New Here ,
May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have been using PS CS5 since the trial became available. But seems CS5 responds a lot slower than CS4. Sometimes, it just freezes or slow the whole computer down when I tried to open a many-layer file. I had to force quit the application, It's really frustrated because the system responds very slow even I tried to quit PS. Once it's quite, everyting's back to normal. Does anyone have this problem?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup... got very similar problems, running Leopard 10.5.8 on a 8core 9gb RAM, when dealing with both very huge multi-layer files (3 to 4 gb) and very small ones (500Kb)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. PS CS5 just freezes my computer. It took my computer over 10 minutes to snap out of it, and react on my Force Quit command.

I tried to past a vector object into a PSD. The Psd contained just one layer. Yesterday I had the same problem, with a similiar action.

My setup: Mac OSX, 2x2,66ghz dual core Intel Xeon. 8 Gb DDR2

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine occasionally freezes as well. Very similar to what everyone else is experiencing. I'm on a mac mini 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same story on my system (10.5.8, 2 x 2,8 Quad Core Intel Xeon / 6GB).

When I select the type-tool PS gets very very very very very slow...

Force quit takes minutes. Is there a solution already? Maybe restoring system-fonts, or renew the system font lists?

Please technicians: What's wrong? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem-- and not necessarily many-layered files.  It will crash quite often.  Sometimes it will be when I click in a text layer, sometimes it will just happen.  There doesn't seem to be anything predictable about it.  I can't work for more than half an hour without a system-consuming crash that requires I force-quit photoshop.  This takes about 5-10 minutes as the system becomes extremely bogged down.  Extremely frustrating.  I am thinking I have to go back to CS4 because CS5 is absolutely killing me.

I'm on an octo 3ghz xeon mac running 10.5.8 with 8gb ram.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem-- and not necessarily many-layered files.  It will crash quite often.  Sometimes it will be when I click in a text layer, sometimes it will just happen.

Freezes and crashes are 2 very different things.

An analogy:

Freeze:  my car stalled and won't restart.

Crash:  my car exploded, and there's nothing left but a burn mark on the road.

I can't work for more than half an hour without a system-consuming crash that requires I force-quit photoshop.

Um, are you talking about a crash or a freeze?   After a crash, there is nothing to force-quit.

I sounds like you may have a problem with a font.

Have you tried disabling font previews in preferences?

Have you tried checking for font problems in FontBook?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't speak for the people you quoted but in my case it always freezes. Sometimes I can force quit if I'm extremely patient waiting for things to respond. Other times it freezes to the point that nothing will respond at all and I have to shut the computer off.

Will try messing with my fonts. Is there something specific I'm looking for as far as incompatible fonts?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

I'm having the same problem-- and not necessarily many-layered files.  It will crash quite often.  Sometimes it will be when I click in a text layer, sometimes it will just happen.

An analogy:

Yes, if you interpret the words "crash" and "freeze" literally, they *are* two very different things, I will give you that.

An analogy:

Freeze: My water froze in the freezer.

Crash: My plane crashed.

Have a look here, on the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_(computing)

To save you the trouble, a direct quote:

A crash (or system crash) in computing is a condition where a program (either an application or part of theoperating system) stops performing its expected function and also stops responding to other parts of the system. Often the offending program may simply appear to freeze. If this program is a critical part of the operating system kernel the entire computer may crash.

You might be extra interested in the part that says "Often the offending program [that is, the program that has crashed] may simply appear to freeze."

It appears, then, that the consensus is that the two are not two "very different things". 

Now, on to the problem at hand:

Basic problem solving in complex systems suggests that you swap components to isolate the ones that aren't working.

An analogy:

My car won't start.  I replace the starter motor.  The car now starts.  One can assert that the problem likely lies with the starter motor.

Continuing...

IF it were the case that I had font problems, then I wouldn't be able to go back into CS4 and work without problems.  In fact, I haven't had any problems with CS4.  I do, however, have repeated crash/freeze conditions with CS5, and this isn't always related to working with fonts.

Applying what we learned from the starter motor, this suggests that the problem is not with the fonts, or with anything other than CS5 itself, as the very same program in an earlier version works perfectly well with all of the fonts

I can certainly try disabling the font previews, but I didn't have to do this with CS4-- so if this is what I'm to do, I'm curious as to why an inferior font-preview-rendering-feature was included with CS5?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think these "freezes" are the same thing I'm experiencing. The application simply works really hard for a few minutes causing the entire system to sputter... then is fine. Watching Activity Monitor, I wee the Window Server suddenly become the most active processes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it pathetic that we are discussing the difference between a freeze and crash when we should be discussing the stupidity of two companies releasing their products peppered with problems. To watch the malay of complaints here is testament to greed which shall cost dearly in customer loyalty and trust. The damage inflicted shall come full circle which only perpetuates layoffs for everyone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears, then, that the consensus is that the two are not two "very different things". 

No, you just misunderstood what they were saying.

Application freezes and crashes are very, very different things to the user and to the developer.

(except in certain cases of confused users)

IF it were the case that I had font problems, then I wouldn't be able to go back into CS4 and work without problems.  In fact, I haven't had any problems with CS4.  I do, however, have repeated crash/freeze conditions with CS5, and this isn't always related to working with fonts.

That would only be the case if CS4 and CS5 had identical code and called identical OS APIs.

Photoshop CS4 encountered some OS bugs that CS5 does not, and CS5 encounters some OS bugs that CS4 did not - because the code changed and the API usage changed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watching Activity Monitor, I wee the Window Server suddenly become the most active processes.

Sigh.  OK, that's a useful clue.  Now we just need to figure out what is causing the Apple Window Server to wig out. (normally it's due to large numbers of windows or dialogs, but that shouldn't be the case here)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't let the others get to you Chris... there's no way Adobe could test every possible configuration of every user.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the big picture of things, he could care less. So could I.

The problem is releasing a product on top of a buggy OS.

It's brilliant act duce.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the big picture of things, he could care less. So could I.

Sorry, but I care.

I know, it's a personality flaw of mine:  but I care.

Even if it is a buggy OS:  we can sometimes work around the bugs, or get the OS vendor to fix their bugs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you just misunderstood what they were saying.

Application freezes and crashes are very, very different things to the user and to the developer.

(except in certain cases of confused users)

There is no misunderstanding-- it's written there in plain english.  However, dealing mostly with computer languages as you do, I would expect the even non-subtle nuances of the english language to be challenging for you to fully appreciate.

If you'd like, I can go over this in more detail for you, here is the sentence:

A crash (or system crash) in computing is a condition where a program (either an applicationor part of the operating system) stops performing its expected function and also stops responding to other parts of the system.

You might want to read it a few times.  Photoshop CS5 is a program.  This program's behaviour, as described in this thread, consists of "stopping performing its expected function" and, Chris, it also "stops responding to other parts of the system."  You'll notice that a period ends the thought.  So, if there is a misunderstanding, I'd much enjoy you illustrating where it lies.  But, you won't be able to.

Next: even if it is the case that these are "different things to the user and to the developer", what it means is that you, the developer, have a small-percentage non-standard usage.  What that means, Chris, is that the broadly accepted definition is the "more correct" one. 

To give you an example, if two friends and I think "sailboat" means "deli meat", our small-scale non-standard usage is not considered "correct".  Were I to engage in conversation with a normal english user, I would look foolish claiming that their usage was incorrect just because a few others and I use the term in a way that runs contrary to the popular definition.

If you didn't put it together, the users are the majority.  So, while you may personally have some freaky-deaky version of what a "crash" is, I, and the majority of people, probably the majority of developers, disagree with your definition, so it would behoove you to familiarize yourself with what most people are talking about-- especially if you intend to use forums to communicate with said people.  Which you are.

That would only be the case if CS4 and CS5 had identical code and called identical OS APIs.

Photoshop CS4 encountered some OS bugs that CS5 does not, and CS5 encounters some OS bugs that CS4 did not - because the code changed and the API usage changed.

Oh, okay.  It seems convenient to blame the OS-- in fact, there is no way for an end user to tell whether or not it's one or the other.  But then, you did decide to develop for it.  You did manage to solve these problems in all prior versions.  Somehow other software manufacturers are able to build software for this "buggy OS". 

I think it's absolutely laughable that you would blame the OS for the bugs in CS5.  If you take a step back, you must think it's ridiculous too: I bet that if you read another developer in another company's forum saying such, you'd feel embarrassed for them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Watching Activity Monitor, I wee the Window Server suddenly become the most active processes.

Sigh.  OK, that's a useful clue.  Now we just need to figure out what is causing the Apple Window Server to wig out. (normally it's due to large numbers of windows or dialogs, but that shouldn't be the case here)

That is what was happening to me too, window server at 100% of one core. I presume the window server being completely saturated is what causes interaction with every other part of the OS to act very slow as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presume the window server being completely saturated is what causes interaction with every other part of the OS to act very slow as well.

Yes,  if the Window server has a problem, then the entire system slows to a crawl, hangs, or in some cases gets a kernel panic.

But again, that should only happen with a large number of windows or dialogs.

Something odd is happening to the window server.

Anyone with this problem happen to be in the SF-Bay or Seattle area?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The broadly accepted definition... is not what you are using.

The broadly accepted definition, is what I've been trying to explain to you.

Please stop arguing and use the correct words.

I think it's absolutely laughable that you would blame the OS for the bugs in CS5.  If you take a step back, you must think it's ridiculous too: I bet that if you read another developer in another company's forum saying such, you'd feel embarrassed for them.

No, because we know how many bugs are in the OS -- we've been working with Apple to get a lot of them fixed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Anyone with this problem happen to be in the SF-Bay or Seattle area?

About half way between the two.. closer to Klammath.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope AZ.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

The broadly accepted definition... is not what you are using.

The broadly accepted definition, is what I've been trying to explain to you.

Please stop arguing and use the correct words.

Actually, you haven't been trying to explain anything.  If you have, it's been another miserable failure.  This is all you've had to say on the matter:

An analogy:

I have provided links with definitions, but your ego is in the way of your understanding.  If you should see past your own head, you might learn something.

What you describe as a crash is absurd.

Here are some links with the publicly accepted definitions that you refuse to accept:

A crash happens when the program just completely stops performing its intended function, along with failing to respond to other parts of the system as well. When this happens, the program you're using may appear to just "freeze up,"

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/4021

A crash can manifest itself in many different ways. The computer may "freeze" or "hang" indefinitely when a crash occurs, or it may display any number of obscure error messages.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/itinformationtechnology/l/bldef_crash.htm

If the crash occurs in an application, then only that application "hangs up," but other applications continue running.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/computer/crash

Need I continue?

Clearly, the accepted definition is as I've used, and not as you have. 

You've contributed nothing in terms of what you are using for your definition and haven't provided any sources: nothing beyond your own ham-fisted meanderings and poor analogies.  And this is your profession!  Gulp!  It's like a carpenter not knowing what a hammer is.

(As an aside, do you know what a hammer is?)

I again, welcome your clarification.  Perhaps we're using a different definition of the word "definition".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure that if I search the internet long enough, I too can find incorrect definitions of common terms.

But repetition of mistakes does not make them correct.

If you are going to contribute to discussion of actual bugs here, please do so with correct terms so everyone knows what you are talking about.

If you are going to continue debating the accepted definition of common terms, then please, do so in another forum.  We've got work to do here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

I'm sure that if I search the internet long enough, I too can find incorrect definitions of common terms.

But repetition of mistakes does not make them correct.

If you are going to contribute to discussion of actual bugs here, please do so with correct terms so everyone knows what you are talking about.

If you are going to continue debating the accepted definition of common terms, then please, do so in another forum.  We've got work to do here.

These are the top returns for a google search of "computer crash definition."  Can you admit you're wrong yet?  There's a reason you can't provide any resources that confirm your point of view-- it's because there aren't any.

Anyway, I came here in the first place to report that your software is crashing with disturbing frequency-- and instead of focussing on the problem, you elected to quibble about differences between crashing and freezing-- differences that aren't there, that you are incorrect about.  This mistaken belief, on your part, will hinder your ability to properly diagnose and rectify the problems reported by users in buggy Adobe software.

As such, I think it would very much benefit you to educate yourself on the terms and definitions used in your industry, and that users like myself will be using on forums such as this-- as your confusion has lead to some wasted time here.  Certainly, making sure that you are also using the commonly used definitions would certainly help you communicate with other people.  The world doesn't revolve around your basement.

So, Chris, if you'd like to get to work, figure out why the software is freezing.  Why it's crashing.  While you're at it, read a glossary or two before you start beaking off and coming off as an ignoramus.  Educate yourself.  Oh, and throw in a volume on customer service, too.

I'm trying to help you.  This could benefit your career.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so you are not here to work on a problem, you are just looking for an argument.

If you want help, please abide by the terms of service for the forums.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to work this problem out-- it's why I'm here, why we're all here.  But really, we should be talking to a staffer who knows what a program crash is.  We should get some less junior employees on here-- is that possible?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Kevin.  The way I see it, you should never, never upgrade software or OS for at least 6 months.  Let the adventurous and risk takers iron out the wrinkles for ya.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

El Gu man wrote:

I agree with Kevin.  The way I see it, you should never, never upgrade software or OS for at least 6 months.  Let the adventurous and risk takers iron out the wrinkles for ya.

I might agree if this were freeware or an open source offering, but at this level, there should not be any wrinkles left. We are talking about final release software by a leader in an industry that demands perfection. 'Good enough' should not be the standard for release into the marketplace, especially if we're paying thousands of dollars on a collection released by Adobe for professional use. If it's not ready, it shouldn't be on the shelves.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There you go folks. I couldn't agree more.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was a product manager in software development in a prior (and good) life.  It is impossible to have a wrinkle free release.  There are many factors and market pressures that push the release.  You know for sure that there will be issues, some totally unknown from testing.  Until you put it out there, you will not know all the bugs and performance issues.  I know we are talking Apple and Adobe here, but the underlying theme is the same, small or large company.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We should get some less junior employees on here-- is that possible?

Have you ever browsed the About Photoshop-screen?

Because I don’t think they put the junior employees that far to the front of the list.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines