Photoshop CS5 freezes

New Here ,
May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have been using PS CS5 since the trial became available. But seems CS5 responds a lot slower than CS4. Sometimes, it just freezes or slow the whole computer down when I tried to open a many-layer file. I had to force quit the application, It's really frustrated because the system responds very slow even I tried to quit PS. Once it's quite, everyting's back to normal. Does anyone have this problem?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else noticed that this thread now has over 1200 views? This seems to be a topic of concern for a lot of forum readers, but it's not Adobe's problem - "it's your buggy OS" (that ran every other PS software iteration without much issue at all). There ought to be a class-action suit against Adobe for releasing this so prematurely AND CHARGING FOR IT. We, the users - should at least be able to bill Adobe for all the lost hours trying to get it to function at least as well as CS4.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Engaged ,
May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no doubt that the release of CS 5 was a corporate moronic mistake. With that said, you can't put the crap back in the toilet so deal with it. If Adobe corporate has any F-ing brains left, they will learn from this debacle and wake up.  Until then, stop using the program if it causes you pain.  Duh....

We have put a lid on the release at this point.

Other then that, yes its a mess. Yes they are tring to fix the mess. If you dont like mess, dont use it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For people with font issues, here's the doc on troubleshooting Fonts in Photoshop CS5 (including script to aid in finding troublesome fonts)

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/843/cpsid_84363.html

For the people experiencing slowdowns/freezes, have you tried creating a new user account and running Photoshop from the new user account?

Have you tried a clean install of the OS (from the OS install disk, not from and image or from Time Machine, with a fresh user account) on a second harddrive? (Like an external USB or Firewire drive)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffery,

I have a completely clean install of OS10.6.3 (on a blank drive) and only Creative Suite Design Premium 5, the latest Wacom driver, and the OS installed. I see these "freezes" (although I think OS stall would be a better term) in both my standard working OS10.5.8 environment or the clean 10.6.3 environment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today Adobe PS CS4 updated itself with some fixes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, someone actually offering a helpful suggestion. Thank you.

Unfortunately, Photoshop CS5 still freezes our systems like someone's poured molasses into the HD - even when I have nothing but Photoshop open, with one small, flat JPG file loaded. Running Leopard 10.5.8 on MBP and Mac Pro with no corrupt fonts, preview disabled (which I am REALLY not happy about), and plenty of RAM and free HD space for scratch.

For professional grade software at this price point, users who exceed the advertised system requirements should not be so consistently running into problems like this. With so many having the same problem, this is clearly a bug in the software that has rendered it unusable - if a proper fix isn't offered very soon, we will be asking for our money back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CDPritchard,

I wonder if you have fontworker problem or not...

You can find it from: HD/Users/<user name>/Library/logs/DiagnosticReports/Fontworker_xxx

Do you have any reports?

Thanks,

Kyoko

Potoshop QE

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No fontworker problems, but thank you for responding.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i hate to sound dumb, but what is a fontworker problem? matter of fact, what is a fontworker? i've never heard that term or word before. is it only in adobe cs software ? i use elements 8 and lightroom, and have no trouble at all with either. i want to upgrade to cs 5 but there is so much negative feedback on cs5, maybe i'll wait. i would appreciate it if you would let me know about that fontworker thing. thanks.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

barbsman wrote:

…but what is a fontworker problem? matter of fact, what is a fontworker?…

It's an Apple thing.  Snow Leopard has a new System Daemon for fonts called Fontworker.   It offten crashes.  Google it if you need more information than that.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tai for the info.

We received few bugs from our customers.

This is Apple issue and this URL may help if you have CPU usage problem.

Topic : SNOW LEOPARD - fontworker process eating up CPU usage

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2136456&tstart=0

Kyoko

Photoshop Type QE

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several of us in this forum are not using Snow Leopard and still having the same issue.

I do not have this issue while using CS4 on this exact same computer, only when using CS5.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having constant freezes too.  Shuts down my whole system, If I want to Force Quit I have to wait 30-45 minutes.  I just keep turning off the machine it becomes useless.  Not running snow leopoard, have 14GB Ram and at least 60 GB Scratch disc. Crashes come at random times - using Content Aware Fill, Mini Bridge, accessing Wet Brush - it is totally random.  But yet PS says I am at 100% efficency.  Having a difficult time making my CS5 training DVDs because it always crashes!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with fonts is painfully slow.  I Type and it takes 20-30 for letters to appear.  If I backspace over type I push Delete and wait 5- 10 secs for it delete the letter.  But I have not had any crashes when doing text, just other operations.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris I would be willing to use Log Me In or something like if it helps you guys trouble shoot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really can't actually think that this thread is real. I work with Light room and Photoshop and Illustrator and a few other apps Like After Effects and PPro
and I have the same MacPro as Scott and have not experienced one freeze or crash. I had other problem which I am happy to report was user error on my part regarding printing from Photoshop CS 5. I get great prints from PS CS 5 now and itwas a very small change in procedure.

But this freezing and crashing things has me concerned as I am not experiencing it at all, I must be doing something wrong.

Now I am wondering you guys have the cleanest installs possible but do you also have plug ins that are really created for CS 4 but actually work in CS5.

I know one user here who I believe uses a lot of plug ins, I wonder if that could be a contributing factor?

Also some of the things said here indicate that some you if not using plug ins should be, just to seal up some of the holes.

I am wondering why PS CS 5 is working great for me and not for other users on this thread perhaps there is a commonality between all of you.

Not MO of course but the rest of you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW I am using a macPro 1,1 and do not have this issue but perhaps all of you are using two monitors.

It should nit be a difference but have any of you tried t increase the cache tile size say to 132 or 1024?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have dual monitors but I have tried all 3 cache settings and same problems!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll repeat this, just in case:  if anyone seeing the freezes/whole system slowdown is in the SF-Bay area, or Seattle area, PLEASE let us know.

(we've visted one customer, but more info would help)

Whatever this is, it seems to affect a few people, but not most.

Somewhere there is a triggering factor on those specific systems, and we need to isolate that factor.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade - we already ruled out plugins, and probably fonts.

(see previous replies from users)

We're down to "order of installation and updates", and maybe "phase of the moon" stuff.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. I'm just going to throw this out there. My systems totally freezes up and I upgraded from CS3 not CS4.

I upgraded from CS3  Design Premium to the whole Master Collection- are the people who are having no trouble at all using just Photoshop alone? or the whole Master Collection?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be a valid question. I installed CS5 Design Premium after already having CS2 Design Premium, CS3 Web Premium, and CS4 Design Premium installed and running the CS5 cleanup script due to some prerelease software I had prior to the CS5 release.

Maybe it is an installation order issue. It may be a good test to try a clean install of OS10.5.8 and see if the issue persists on my system. I'll try and clear some time this week to try that.

However, I can also reproduce the issue with OS10.6.3 and only the OS, CS5 Design premium, and the latest Wacom driver installed. Albeit, the issue is much less common on OS10.6.3, but it does still happen occasionally.

Here, it's obvious the Window Server is pegged when the slowdowns happen.

I had a connect session with Jeff and was able to reproduce the slow down with and without all plug ins disabled (32bit mode both times) simply by opening files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ae you running PS CS 5 in 32 or 64 bit?

I am a little confused about this and when you say you can reproduce this on a 10.6.3 boot is that on the same computer or a another tower r a MacBook Pro?

I wonder what steps you take to reproduce the problem.

Just curious.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same hardware, Wade. (Quad 2.66 Xeon MacPro 1,1) 32bit, 64bit, OS10.5.8, OS10.6.3, all show the same issue. Only difference is how frequent the issue occurs.

I've also got a MacBookPro, which I really don't use that much for Photoshop, which, so far.... I have NOT been able to reproduce the issue on. But again, use there has been very limited. But it makes me wonder if dual monitors or multiple video cards are what's confusing the hell out of the Window Server when PSCS5 is running.

To reproduce the issue on the MacPro.. all I need do is open files. Eventually it'll occur. I can open and close files in succession, eventually I'll open one and the entire system grinds to a crawl even if that is the ONLY file open. If I'm working in some other application for a while and PS is backgrounded. Then I double-click a PS file to open it (even a flat jpg) chances of the issue occurring are greater. Doesn't seem to be related to any tool or specific process, at least not here,but rather more related to the actual screen drawing and panel updating from the looks of things.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is the Master Collection

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the 3D preferences are confused as well as open gl have you tried any adjustments here?

Screen shot 2010-06-02 at 11.56.57 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Wade.. been there done that. The fact that the issue occurs with an absolutely clean OS10.6.3 install indicates it's not a setting or conflict that I can adjust. At least that's what it indicates to me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was going to upgrade to cs5 from elements 8 on my imac, but after reading all the problems people are having with cs5, i'm going to wait. for 600.00 i don't need the aggravation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have some freezing problems. It was fixed by reinstalling it for me, I haven't had any problems since... let me know if it worked for you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also getting these system wide slowdowns - Photoshop CS5 is unusable for me. So far the slowdowns have been triggered by opening the Layer styles dialogue box, using the 3D tools, using Content Aware fill, or just rotating an image. My entire system becomes glacially unresponsive, but there *is* still life there, it's just that everything slows right down and runs incredibly slowly. PS can usually be force-quit from the Dock if I'm patient and wait for the OS to catch up with my mousing, but it can take up to 30 minutes to get any kind of control.

My system:

OSX 10.5.8

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro4,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache (per processor): 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Graphics Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4870

Display: Apple 30" Cinema Display

Wacom Intuos 3

Reverted back to CS4 until this mess gets resolved. Very disappointing as PS CS4 was hardly the poster child for stability and reliability.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have exactly the same system except for the monitor and CS5 behaves exactly for us as it does for you. We did install it on a separate user account where it ran as advertised in both 32 and 64-bit modes. All our 32-bit plugins from Nik, Imaginomic, Alien Skin and even some from OnOne ran without a hitch in that separate user account. Go figure

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this only happen when working on document with many layers (and maybe layer groups)?

Do you get the slowdowns and freezes if the layers palette is hidden?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this behaviour on flattened images, not just those with layers. I never use layer groups.

Hiding the layers palette with Tab didn't help - still getting the system wide slowdown.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Does this only happen when working on document with many layers (and maybe layer groups)?

Do you get the slowdowns and freezes if the layers palette is hidden?

Behaves this way on  flattened images, as well as those with layers...same behaviour with layers pallet hidden -- system slowdown. And, as always, the OS issues a crash report on program shutdown (which can go on for up to 30 minutes).

Here is a link to our Mac crash report file (rtf): http://files.me.com/contre_jour/pwa55q

Regards,

Garry, co-owner, Contre Jour Studios.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Garry - that's a crash while quitting Photoshop (that the service manager team is working on).  That probably isn't related to the system slowdown.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this behaviour on flattened images, not just those with layers. I never use layer groups.

Hiding the layers palette with Tab didn't help - still getting the system wide slowdown.

Ok, that rules out the one suspect I've found so far (an update problem in the layers palette).

Darn.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the freeze problem too. I generally have a bunch of windows open and it seems to be while using the type tool or doing anything else. It's hard to tell, it generally happens about a minute after I launch the program. No problems in CS4, so I'm just using that. Hate that I paid $1000 for the suite when it can't be used...

Model Name:    Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:    MacPro1,1
  Processor Name:    Dual-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:    3 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    2
  Total Number Of Cores:    4
  L2 Cache (per processor):    4 MB
  Memory:    4 GB
  Bus Speed:    1.33 GHz

Is there a solution? Mostly what I'm seeing on this thread are insults.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We still don't know the cause, and have not been able to reproduce the problem.

We're trying to visit a few people reporting the whole system slowdown/freeze.

The fact that some people see this shortly after launch and with the text tool means that it might be font related -- so disabling font previews in preferences might help, along with verifying fonts using FontBook.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does seem to happen almost exclusively shortly after launch and when activating the type tool, so that's likely your best course of focus to start. I'm not sure if it will help or not, but several times now I've noticed that after selecting the type tool for the first time, the progress bar for 'initializing type' will load to about 25%, and then will disappear altogether... leaving the freeze in its wake.

For us the bug does not discriminate between 32 vs 64 bit mode, flat vs layered files, or small vs large images. No other tool or panel has caused the freeze for us - it's been the type tool, working with text layers, or (seemingly) nothing at all. There are no corrupt fonts here, plenty of RAM & space on scratch, with 3000 verified fonts activated, and font previews disabled. Running latest Leopard (NOT Snow Leopard) on MBP and Mac Pro.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strictly bare-bones fonts on my machine as it's only used for retouching and imaging - nothing installed apart from the standard Leopard system fonts and whatever CS5 installs. We've tried disabling font previews and verifying fonts with fontbook - no dice.

Chris - thanks for your help and time, appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, we're either going to have to get one of these systems in our hands, or get a shark or sampler report of what is happening on the system during the slowdown.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might also help to know that the freeze is sometimes accompanied by a huge CPU jump by ATSServer in Leopard (jumped to 80% on freeze, then back to zero on foce quit PS). Other times it isn't, but in those cases windowserver seems to be the one with the jump.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is looking more and more like a problem with event handling and Window Server.

We're trying to reproduce it here, but haven't been able to so far.

And we're trying to visit customers reporting the problem - but don't have many close to our offices yet.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get me a machine and software and I'm sure I can run it into the ground.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happend to me again. Shortly after opening a large PSD with lots of layers, I opened the Character panel, resulting in a system stall (is the best description I guess). I waited it out and forced quit. Than I tried to reproduce the stall by repeating all of the steps. Only this time everything worked fine. I know this is really aggravating for a bug fixer... but I'm also trying to understand what is causing the problems.

@Chris; if you want to, I can send you the 'problem details' wich was generated after I managed to forced quit.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to mix it up a bit more... and cause further unintentional frustration.... I have yet to even touch the Type tool in CS5. The freezes are so apparent here that I haven't even considered using the text tool. So, the system sluggishness I see has no correlation to selecting or using the Type Tool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott - if font previews are turned on, then type can be rasterized for the previews even without touching the type tool.

And it happens in the background, so any problems would occur a while after launch.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So much for quality beta testers.  Must be a thing of the past.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Scott - if font previews are turned on, then type can be rasterized for the previews even without touching the type tool.

And it happens in the background, so any problems would occur a while after launch.

No font previews here, Chris.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grr.  I have a feeling I'm going to have to FedEx a whole system before this is solved....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if the majority of us having the issue are using a Mac Pro 1,1 ?

I've seen several post that they are, and I am.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far we have MacPros and MacBooks.

But we're still investigating (and there's always the chance that there is more than one cause, or someone misunderstood the description).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a MacMini and I went though all the fonts, couldn't find any with problems. I've changed permission settings. I just had it happen again. I was able to eventually open a terminal and run top. The windowserver was going crazy and as soon as it stopped the compter was usable again. Everything on the computer starts running incredibly slow when it happens.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, if WindowServer gets confused EVERYTHING will grind to a halt (slow to unuseable).

We've seen that happen before (like when someone opened 600 document windows at once).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris-

Don't forget to include MacBook Pros on you list.  Thanks for trying to get to the bottom of this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nov1 - it might help, email it to ccox at adobe dot com.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need a machine, the software and this stupid sensorship removed from my account.

I dont plan on purchasing anything at this point for the sake of Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines