Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 freezes

New Here ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have been using PS CS5 since the trial became available. But seems CS5 responds a lot slower than CS4. Sometimes, it just freezes or slow the whole computer down when I tried to open a many-layer file. I had to force quit the application, It's really frustrated because the system responds very slow even I tried to quit PS. Once it's quite, everyting's back to normal. Does anyone have this problem?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 382 Replies 382
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might also help to know that the freeze is sometimes accompanied by a huge CPU jump by ATSServer in Leopard (jumped to 80% on freeze, then back to zero on foce quit PS). Other times it isn't, but in those cases windowserver seems to be the one with the jump.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is looking more and more like a problem with event handling and Window Server.

We're trying to reproduce it here, but haven't been able to so far.

And we're trying to visit customers reporting the problem - but don't have many close to our offices yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get me a machine and software and I'm sure I can run it into the ground.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 31, 2010 May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Does this only happen when working on document with many layers (and maybe layer groups)?

Do you get the slowdowns and freezes if the layers palette is hidden?

Behaves this way on  flattened images, as well as those with layers...same behaviour with layers pallet hidden -- system slowdown. And, as always, the OS issues a crash report on program shutdown (which can go on for up to 30 minutes).

Here is a link to our Mac crash report file (rtf): http://files.me.com/contre_jour/pwa55q

Regards,

Garry, co-owner, Contre Jour Studios.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 31, 2010 May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Garry - that's a crash while quitting Photoshop (that the service manager team is working on).  That probably isn't related to the system slowdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happend to me again. Shortly after opening a large PSD with lots of layers, I opened the Character panel, resulting in a system stall (is the best description I guess). I waited it out and forced quit. Than I tried to reproduce the stall by repeating all of the steps. Only this time everything worked fine. I know this is really aggravating for a bug fixer... but I'm also trying to understand what is causing the problems.

@Chris; if you want to, I can send you the 'problem details' wich was generated after I managed to forced quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to mix it up a bit more... and cause further unintentional frustration.... I have yet to even touch the Type tool in CS5. The freezes are so apparent here that I haven't even considered using the text tool. So, the system sluggishness I see has no correlation to selecting or using the Type Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott - if font previews are turned on, then type can be rasterized for the previews even without touching the type tool.

And it happens in the background, so any problems would occur a while after launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So much for quality beta testers.  Must be a thing of the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Scott - if font previews are turned on, then type can be rasterized for the previews even without touching the type tool.

And it happens in the background, so any problems would occur a while after launch.

No font previews here, Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grr.  I have a feeling I'm going to have to FedEx a whole system before this is solved....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if the majority of us having the issue are using a Mac Pro 1,1 ?

I've seen several post that they are, and I am.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far we have MacPros and MacBooks.

But we're still investigating (and there's always the chance that there is more than one cause, or someone misunderstood the description).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a MacMini and I went though all the fonts, couldn't find any with problems. I've changed permission settings. I just had it happen again. I was able to eventually open a terminal and run top. The windowserver was going crazy and as soon as it stopped the compter was usable again. Everything on the computer starts running incredibly slow when it happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, if WindowServer gets confused EVERYTHING will grind to a halt (slow to unuseable).

We've seen that happen before (like when someone opened 600 document windows at once).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris-

Don't forget to include MacBook Pros on you list.  Thanks for trying to get to the bottom of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nov1 - it might help, email it to ccox at adobe dot com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need a machine, the software and this stupid sensorship removed from my account.

I dont plan on purchasing anything at this point for the sake of Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have dual monitors and still get the problem. I'm going to try cleaning out my fonts completely and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My MacBook Pro is not crashing (desktop is) but when I paint with a large brush on a moderate file (120MB) ,on the laptop, and use a 500 + pixel brush I can have a 5000 x 3000 pixel image and it takes the brush 8 seconds to get from one corner to the other. CS4  never did that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2010 Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lkemper - that is a completely different issue.   Most likely it's your video card not being up to using OpenGL drawing (esp. true of laptop graphics chipsets).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris why can it keep up in CS4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 is an entirely new code base than CS4. Although the two are the same app.. they are written in different manners. It's my understanding CS5 is Cocoa based and CS4 was still fairly Carbon based.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO the old code was more efficient?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if the The NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M card in the new Macbook Pros can keep up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines