Photoshop CS5 freezes

New Here ,
May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have been using PS CS5 since the trial became available. But seems CS5 responds a lot slower than CS4. Sometimes, it just freezes or slow the whole computer down when I tried to open a many-layer file. I had to force quit the application, It's really frustrated because the system responds very slow even I tried to quit PS. Once it's quite, everyting's back to normal. Does anyone have this problem?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have dual monitors and still get the problem. I'm going to try cleaning out my fonts completely and see what happens.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My MacBook Pro is not crashing (desktop is) but when I paint with a large brush on a moderate file (120MB) ,on the laptop, and use a 500 + pixel brush I can have a 5000 x 3000 pixel image and it takes the brush 8 seconds to get from one corner to the other. CS4  never did that!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lkemper - that is a completely different issue.   Most likely it's your video card not being up to using OpenGL drawing (esp. true of laptop graphics chipsets).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris why can it keep up in CS4?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 is an entirely new code base than CS4. Although the two are the same app.. they are written in different manners. It's my understanding CS5 is Cocoa based and CS4 was still fairly Carbon based.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO the old code was more efficient?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if the The NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M card in the new Macbook Pros can keep up?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add this to the mix. When I installed, I was instructed to install adobe acrobat 9. I was just making a pdf in Acrobat 9 and everything slowed way down- it was likethe windows were opening in SLOW motion...coincidence?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the cause we're looking at now involves corruption in Apple's font cache -- that could cause problems in many applications that use Cocoa (which includes Acrobat).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would that be affect those of us that are experiencing freezes but not on Snow Leopard?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lkemper wrote:

Would that be affect those of us that are experiencing freezes but not on Snow Leopard?

Yup.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Scott's statement: Yes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put a thought to this as well.

A font cache problem can be tied the way an application reacts to a certain font(s).

It would seem to me that the users involved with this problem may have on their system fonts that do not react well to the OS, PS r another application or plug in.

The plug in need not be a PS plug in, which is what i was trying to get at in a previous post.

For instance if the font cache is bloated by another usage outside of PS CS 5 but that application can live with this bloat it still might effect Phoshop which might not be able to accept this bloat.

Such as this scenario say the application and or plug is is Illustrator which is running 32 bit Illustrator might slow a bit but it is happy basically with that but PS CS 5 running 64 bit says oh no I want to run like the wind and you are just to much baggage for me. Then you have a problem.

And maybe only sometimes since some functions really require 64 bit enhancement and others might not care that much.

That is my thought about this for all it is worth.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I first have to say I love the addition of the wet brush in PS and the 64 bit support all around.

Like so many others here I'm having issues with the type tool. After opening PS I can click on any tool, EXCEPT for the type tool.

When I click the type tool I get the spinning pinwheel, and it takes roughly around 30-45 seconds (with no document open) for PS to stop freezing up and consuming all the memory.

Note: Any additional clicks on the type tool work as normal, after the initial freeze.(with no document)

The only thing that's seemed to help is:

-Delete any fonts that FontBook doesn't validate.

-Delete the system Font cache. (Terminal: ' sudo atsutil databases –remove ' )

-Disable Font Preview

-Disable Open GL

-Click on the type tool before opening documents and let initial freeze process.

( I've found I can still use Font Preview if I disable open GL. BUT you have to wait for each font preview to build every time you open PS. This also still causes a freeze to occur. It's still not much help, unless you really need to see your fonts.)

*Now I admit that I rarely use PS for typography, but I discovering this issue yesterday from mis-keying and hitting "t" causing PS to freeze up and stop responding at all, and making me lose my progress on that piece. It does help to pre-load the type tool to prevent PS freezing entirely, but this extra step and time is a bit of an annoyance.*

My best guess is the type tool is at the root of the problems, and not so much the fonts or cache.

I hope the bug is found soon, and an appropriate patch from Adobe and/or Apple is released.

System:

Mac Pro
OS X 10.5.8

2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
14 GB DDR2 @ 800MHz  (8GB allotted to PS)

2+ TB of Scratch Space

ATI Radeon HD 2600 ( REALLY WISH ATI WOULD MAKE FirePro MAC CARDS! )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My best guess is the type tool is at the root of the problems, and not so much the fonts or cache.

There are a few bugs in Adobe's font code that we're testing fixes for.

But right now the serious problems are in the Apple font code that we call (things like  "what is the file path for this font?" = crash, memory corruption, etc.). We're working on a number of issues related to Apple's font code and font cache.  When we have more information, then we can figure out if the bugs might be worked around, or if we have to wait for Apple to issue a fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea if this is relevant but I had a freeze and did Force Quit (which actually worked after 4- 5 minutes) and when I restarted PS I got the message that PS encountered a problem with my display driver and has turned off GPU enhancements and I need to download a new driver (which is a whole new story since it is not available and I have to do a whole system reinstall).  But since then I have had no problems and I can use the Text tool with no problems -  it use to work but was very s-l-o-w.  I have the nvidia GeForce GT 120 display cards (2).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take that back, I just tried to cancel a Save As dialog box and it froze again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea if this is relevant but I had a freeze and did Force Quit (which actually worked after 4- 5 minutes) and when I restarted PS I got the message that PS encountered a problem with my display driver and has turned off GPU enhancements

You managed to quit Photoshop in the middle of an OpenGL call, so Photoshop thinks that the OpenGL call crashed the app, and that the video card driver has a bug 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When that happens with an nVidia 8800 card I simply close the image and reopen it...OGL is back then.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates or workarounds in progress?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are still investigating.

But so far, it looks like the freezes are all due to corrupt font caches in Apple's side of things.   Deleting the Apple font cache has solved the problem so far (but then means we can't do any further testing on that system).     What we're still really unsure about is how a corrupt font cache causes problems for the Window Server.

We have not been able to reproduce the freezes here at Adobe, so we can't debug the code and figure out the Window Server problem.

Without a reproduceable case, all we have are guesses.

But we're continuing to test, and work with Apple to figure out what is going wrong with their font caches.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you recommend we try and delete our Font Cache and if so where is it located and what are the negative consequences?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are experiencing hangs that affect the whole system, you can try clearing the font cache.

See http://www.macworld.com/article/139383/2009/03/fontcacheclear.html

You want to remove ALL the caches, not just per user.

And I suggest rebooting after removing the cache.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this fix-- cleared the caches, rebooted, started working in PS CS5.  As soon as I select the type tool, beachballs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I am not sure I am having the same type issue because I can use the type tool most of the time, it is other things, just like opening a file, going to Mini Bridge, using content aware scale, etc that cause mine to freeze and it

is not always the same thing every time and it seems fairly random but I can count on 2-3 hard freezes a day.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're going to use Photoshop CS5 and suffer from these problems I would recommend keeping the "Force Quit Application" window open at all times-- or memorize command-option-ESC. A few less steps to deal with the crash.

For me, that won't work because it freezes too often-- so Photoshop CS5 is unusable.  I'm forced to use CS4 until this is resolved.

I have to remove horses from pastures the old fashioned way!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicknlsn - that sounds like you just have a bad font.

We're talking about freezes that affect the whole machine (not just Photoshop).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im experiencing the same problem.

Photoshop CS5 suddenly freeze (it do not crash since the program itself still running). But I always have to use "force quit"

It mostly occurs when I chose the type tool (I mostly activate it from the keyboard shortcut), but it also crash randomly when I zoom in-out or when I drag something, this second is rare but still happening.

I noticed when photoshop freeze a process called "windowserver" use 100% of my processor and this always happens don´t matter what trigger the freeze on photoshop.

Im using Mac OS X 10.5.8 and my video chipset is not supported so I have not hardware acceleration.

All my fonts are verified and there is not conflict, error or any kind of corruption.

- David

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Topox - you may still want to try clearing the OS font caches.

The problems we're looking at for freezes are tied to the OS font cache being corrupted, and it doesn't seem to be related to specific fonts, but some sort of bug in the Apple font code.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah, I remember doing that the first time I installed CS5.

yes, Photoshop runs smoothly and without any kind of freeze, but it started to give me this problems later.

I will clean the cache font today and see if it gives me any problem soon.

I will keep in touch, thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do have couple of known font crashes with Type tool. These issues happens during font preview generation or Type Tool initialization. Here are the KB docs on the those known issues.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/843/cpsid_84363.html

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/846/cpsid_84633.html

But, we have been tracking down another font related issue on Mac which causes whole system slow down after Type tool initialization. If you encounter this slow down, here are some tips to track down the issue. Any help from users side will be appreciated.

As far as we know, it is a Mac x64 bit only issue.

If you encounter system slow down with Type tool, please check the system console ( launch /Applications/Utilities/Console.app ) and watch for any error message. We have seen certain bad fonts are causing some of the system tasks to crash and restart repeatedly.

Some of the users have seen the system slow down issue going away ( occasionally on temporary basis ) after clearing the system font cache using the system utility "atsutil". More details about atsutil can be found by running "man atsutil" on unix terminal application or from the link: http://www.macworld.com/article/139383/2009/03fontcacheclear.html.

We also want to know whether users are using any font tools like FontBook or any other third party font tool especially after clearing the system font cache. We also would like to know your OS version too.

Finally, If you are encountering the problem anywhere close San Francisco Bay area or Seattle, please let us know.

Again, any help to track down this issue will be appreciated.

-Vinod

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vinod-

I just ran the font script and all of my fonts, which I have already pared down with the help of FontBook, tested fine, with the exception of lastresort.ttf. I didn't recognize the name, and didn't even know about it until I looked it up just now online, but see that it is a hidden OS font (which explains my not seeing it before). I threw it away, but as it is a system font, it was immediately replaced. I ran the script again with the same results: all fonts fine except for Last Resort. Have any suggestions as to how to fix it? A web search didn't turn up any suggestions. Is it likely to be a legitimate issue, or is Photoshop just reporting it as a problem because of the unique nature of this font?

"Failed Font(s) Found. If the error seems to be the font related issue, please send this log to DL-PS-External-Bugs-Tools@adobe.com.

- Font 568: LastResort (IOError: General Photoshop error occurred. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop.

- )"

Thanks,

Ron

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I followed the instructions in those technotes, but the problem still occurs. 

I tested my fonts with OSX's font book, as well as with the PS CS5 font test script.  All fonts passed -- however, in fontbook, there were some "cautions" due to duplicated fonts.  Nothing got the big red X.

I then proceeded to trash photoshop's font caches, remove the system font cache, with ATS util, reset the photoshop preferences file with command-option-shift at startup, disabling openGL, and disabling font previews. 

After doing that-- I restarted PS, opened a window, hit "t", and the freeze/system slowdown happened.

Hrmm.

...and as an aside, Chris, regarding our earlier cheery debate about freezes vs crashes, I thought it was interesting that in the Adobe technote for the problem, they make numerous interesting references to-- well, why don't I just quote the page:

Solution 4: Determine if a damaged font or font cache is causing the crash. (Mac OS)

Step 1: Reset preferences.
Perform this step after experiencing the crash. It's also a good idea to restart your computer after your computer crashes.

Heh.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see any error message in the console application while initializing the Type Tool ? You can lauch console application from /Applications/Utilities/Console.app.

Does it happen if the font preview is off ?

-Vinod

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No, I didn't see any error messages (and I was watching!)

Yes, with font previews off, it happens.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nick - yes, the technote mentions crashes because it is talking about actual CRASHES.

Fonts are known to cause a lot of problems right now, and we're tracking both crashes and freezes caused by Apple font code.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ron,

LastResort font issue is a known problem with us and we have been working for a fix. For the time being, please follow the steps to work around the problem.

LastResort font is a fallback font, system maintains to render glyphs that are not available in other font. Looks like you have some bad font/s in your system and those fonts get fallback to the LastResort font.

Once Photoshop successfully builds its font menu, the following cache file will be updated with all system fonts information. You may have to make the font preview off to successfully build the font cache file.

<userhome>/Library/Caches/Adobe/TypeSupport/CS5/AdobeFnt_OSFonts.lst

Open this file with TextEdit, and search for "FontName:LastResort". If you have any bad font in your system,  you will find multiple entries for "FontName:LastResort" in the cache file. Looks for the entries with different "FontName" and "OutlineFileName", they actually represent bad fonts with fallback font as LastResort.

The following is a valid entry and its FontName and OutlineFileName are LastResort.ttf.

%BeginFont

Handler:ATSHandler

FontType:TrueType

FontName:LastResort

FamilyName:LastResort

StyleName:Regular

FullName:LastResort

MenuName:.LastResort

StyleBits:0

WritingScript:Roman

WritingScriptsMatch:no

OutlineFileName:/System/Library/Fonts/LastResort.ttf

ATSFontName:LastResort

FONDName:.LastResort

FONDStyle:0

DataFormat:sfntResource

ResourceID:-32768

WeightClass:400

WidthClass:5

AngleClass:0

OverriddenByNameDB:no

%EndFont

Following entry represents a bad font: SEGULIM.TTF in the system, In this entry "FontName" and "OutlineFileName" are a different. This font ( SEGULIM.TTF ) will not work in Adobe apps ( may be other apps too ). Please *manually* remove the font from the appropriate folder to work around this problem. The Photoshop font cache file will be updated automatically when it needs to be.

%BeginFont

Handler:ATSHandler

FontType:TrueType

FontName:LastResort

FamilyName:LastResort

StyleName:Regular

FullName:LastResort

MenuName:SeGulim

StyleBits:0

FamilyNameNative:

StyleNameNative:Regular

FullNameNative:

WritingScript:Korean

WritingScriptsMatch:no

OutlineFileName:/Users/ariza/Library/Fonts/no bug/SEGULIM.TTF

ATSFontName:SeGulim

FONDName:SeGulim

FONDStyle:0

DataFormat:sfntResource

ResourceID:-32768

WeightClass:400

WidthClass:5

AngleClass:0

OverriddenByNameDB:no

%EndFont

Please note that, Photoshop's font cache file is for information purpose only. The end user should not modify this file directly. 

-Vinod

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, Vinod. It let me confirm that all fonts are good here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make sure the folder: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/TypeSupport/CS5/ has two subfolders named CMaps and Unicode and a file called FntNames.db. If you have all these needed pieces on  /Library/Application Support/Adobe/TypeSupport/CS5/ folder, you may have a bad font which is causing font enumeration to fail. Please start manually removing any newly added fonts from the font folder. If the problem persists, start removing half of the fonts from the font folder. You can repeat the procedure in recursive fashion till you nail down the bad font.

Also check out the Step 7: Find the font causing the problem of the KB document http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/843/cpsid_84363.html to get a detailed steps to narrow down a bad font in the system. You may have newly added fonts in following locations.

• /Users/[username]/Library/Fonts
  • /Library/Fonts

-Vinod

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have the same CS5 photoshop freezing problems in australia and in my studio its across a range of configurations, compounded with spotlight problems across a network with large servers. (it takes over the cpu while indexing and should be turned off thru the terminal)

however the workaround for photoshop freezing is to simply turn off open GL support on photoshop prefs. This seems to fix most performance issues, whether you run in 32bit or 64 bit kernel

as for a proper fix, it would seem that serious coordination is needed between adobe, apple, the open GL consortium and video card manufacturers. i'd love to know what machines adobe test on because they obviously havn't seen this problem ,which is affecting most of their customers

colleagues using cs5 photoshop on windows describe the same freezing problems

i'm interested in feedback from everyone having these problems but getting rid of open GL has worked for me on many different macs

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have yet to see any freezing problems caused by OpenGL code.

The few reports we had during CS4 came down to defective cards or drivers that needed to be updated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, since my computer do not have a supported video card (GMA 950) I can not enable/disable the hardware acceleration feature, so I dont think the problem is related to graphics.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My symptons are a bit different.  I can use the type tool (most of the time but it takes 6 seconds for each letter to render.  And When I do freeze my WIndows Server does not show 100% it is usually low.  My freezes come from a variety of tasks and they don't seem to be always repeatable.  Different tasks will cause the freeze each time.  But I froze twice today.  Once while working with type and once just accessing mini bridge.

I would be more than glad to use LogMeIn if anyone at Adobe want to monitir and watch my type situation.  If I type a 12 letter word it takes at least a minute to see the word!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you disable OpenGL and try again ?

Preferences>Performance... uncheck "Enable OpenGL Drawing." Quit and restart PS. Does it still crash ? What OS version you are running ?

-Vinod

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far that solved the slow typing issue.  I'll let you know about the crashes after I run it a bit!

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here when I chose the Type Tool. OSX 10.5.8 2x2.8 Ghz Quad/ /8GB RAM

I turned off Font Previews in preferences and haven't had any problems so far. I'll follow up if it didn't fix it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the problem when I use the type tool. I have done everyone's suggestions and still have the problem. Can anyone help me?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact me (itoda@adobe.com).

Thanks,

Kyoko

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, no fix. Still hangs up my entire computer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines